Forbes - Blacks/Africans in AI (Artificial Intelligence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
Yeah I respect Law and economics (which is very math heavy), business is a bit iffy.

Business degree holders are a hit or miss when it comes to their careers. One can become very successful with it or end up in mediocrity. It's all about the individual entrepreneurial/business talent when it comes to that field.

Business degree holders are a hit or miss when it comes to their careers. One can become very successful with it or end up in mediocrity. It's all about the individual entrepreneurial/business talent when it comes to that field.

In my experience the only kids that pursued a business degree were the ones whose parents already owned a business, so they didn't have to worry about employment. The rest were working in McDonald's or call-centres.

Apollo

VIP
In my experience the only kids that pursued a business degree were the ones whose parents already owned a business, so they didn't have to worry about employment. The rest were working in McDonald's or call-centres.

From what I gather, Canada and the UK are oversaturated with bachelor graduates, but in mainland Europe and much of the world most business degree holder get middle-class jobs. Also, in the US they are still worth something.

From what I gather, Canada and the UK are oversaturated with bachelor graduates, but in mainland Europe and much of the world most business degree holder get middle-class jobs. Also, in the US they are still worth something.

Yeah, the market is saturated and it's just a money making scheme for universities.
The teaching quality in a lot of the UK universities is horrendous as well. Another thing that continental Europe is better at than UK.

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
I doubt many will join the field, don’t you need a PhD in computer science to get into machine learning to develope ai:bell: most barely join this field let alone waste that much time and money on a hope of entering the field although they should, easier to get hired as a black person due to diversity quotas:hemad:

Nope you dont need a phd in computer science, many people have taught themselves about machine learning and ai on the web through online courses.
I have a degree in Business and i have been working in tech for the past year and a half.

I have been studying machine learning for the past 6 months and its a massive field that will completely replace low skill jobs. Its mostly matrix multiplication and linear algebra, theres a lot of theory of course and programming knowledge required to tell the computer what you want it to do.

Currently working on a project that will generate music thats indistinguishable from great classics such as Beethoven and Mozart. Think deepfake for music.

Last edited:

Tukraq

VIP
Nope you dont need a phd in computer science, many people have taught themselves about machine learning and ai on the web through online courses.
I have a degree in Business and i have been working in tech for the past year and a half.

I have been studying machine learning for the past 6 months and its a massive field that will completely replace low skill jobs. Its mostly matrix multiplication and linear algebra, theres a lot of theory of course and programming knowledge required to tell the computer what you want it to do.

Currently working on a project that will generate music thats indistinguishable from great classics such as Beethoven and Mozart. Think deepfake for music.
I did a lot of research on its requirement thinking it was a new field that wouldn’t require much, however everywhere was saying a PhD in computer science like this lady got, only some youtubers talk about getting in with just boot camp although it sounds farfetched

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
I did a lot of research on its requirement thinking it was a new field that wouldn’t require much, however everywhere was saying a PhD in computer science like this lady got, only some youtubers talk about getting in with just boot camp although it sounds farfetched

A background in maths and statistics will defeinitely help that is what it really boils down to, no need for a phd in computer science.

for example this is a neural network:

model = Sequential()
model.add(Dense(200, input_dim=input_dim,kernel_initializer='uniform',activation='relu'))
model.add(Dense(100, activation='relu',kernel_initializer='uniform'))
model.add(Dense(1, activation='sigmoid',kernel_initializer='uniform'))

I used it to predict whether someone would survive the titanic crash given a set of attributes. The code is easy, understanding what the code is actually doing is very important.

Tukraq

VIP
A background in maths and statistics will defeinitely help that is what it really boils down to, no need for a phd in computer science.

for example this is a neural network:

model = Sequential()
model.add(Dense(200, input_dim=input_dim,kernel_initializer='uniform',activation='relu'))
model.add(Dense(100, activation='relu',kernel_initializer='uniform'))
model.add(Dense(1, activation='sigmoid',kernel_initializer='uniform'))

I used it to predict whether someone would survive the titanic crash given a set of attributes. The code is easy, understanding what the code is actually doing is very important.
Yeah I know that but they mostly put it as a requirement :farmajoyaab: i mean I still apply anyway especially for there internships but get rejected:noneck:

Siddhartha

future pirate king
VIP
Yeah I know that but they mostly put it as a requirement :farmajoyaab: i mean I still apply anyway especially for there internships but get rejected:noneck:

Do online courses, compete in kaggle competitions. Its a new field people from all backgrounds are getting into it.

Yeah she doesn’t know what she’s talking about if your black, Latino or a woman of any race other than Asian and meet the requirements you’ll have a 100 percent success rate because their diversity reports get released to the newspapers and they have like 95 percent white or Asian male workers every year
This is bullshit. If every student/applicant that merely met the requirements was admitted or given place every top university/corporation would be nearly or all black/Latino/Women. Also there's a difference between being admitted to Harvard and having the aptitude to be successful with the course. You can interview two students, one blowing the other out of the water with respect to grades, and still come to the conclusion that the student with lower grades will have higher success with course. So many Asian/white students have been spoonfed from young age and will have perfect grades, but it's so, so easy to actually gauge someone's aptitude for the subject while simply talking to them. I'll just teach/introduce you to a new idea and see how you get on. No amount of private tutoring can prepare you for something like this.

Tukraq

VIP
This is bullshit. If every student/applicant that merely met the requirements was admitted or given place every top university/corporation would be nearly or all black/Latino/Women. Also there's a difference between being admitted to Harvard and having the aptitude to be successful with the course. You can interview two students, one blowing the other out of the water with respect to grades, and still come to the conclusion that the student with lower grades will have higher success with course. So many Asian/white students have been spoonfed from young age and will have perfect grades, but it's so, so easy to actually gauge someone's aptitude for the subject while simply talking to them. I'll just teach/introduce you to a new idea and see how you get on. No amount of private tutoring can prepare you for something like this.
I’m talking about tech a company that came to my schools job fair were telling me like 2 black people even applied for the whole year:faysalwtf: of course the two that applied got accepted, Harvard hasn’t really been doing this to whites but Asians get harder when their applying

I’m talking about tech a company that came to my schools job fair were telling me like 2 black people even applied for the whole year:faysalwtf: of course the two that applied got accepted, Harvard hasn’t really been doing this to whites but Asians get harder when their applying
Yeah I thought you were talking more generally.

A lot of middle class Americans/Asian-Americans complain about students with lower grades being admitted because they have already spent a fortune on their children's education, when in reality it isn't as simple as diversity preference. That's why you see them throwing out stats when in reality it's more complicated than that. Private school students' grades are already inflated by virtue of having a more expensive education. Not that a lot of this have to do with what you have said - it's just a misunderstood topic so I'm just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending