First Somali to Win a Federal Seat Representing Addis Ababa

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Dr. Saharla Bahdoon becomes the first Somali ever to win a federal parliamentary seat representing Addis Ababa. Among the 8 candidates that ran for the post this Awbarre District native won. She is also the current Federal State Minster of Health.

IMG_20210622_140752_036.jpg

IMG_20210622_140756_886.jpg

IMG_20210622_141140_299.jpg

Dr. Saharla Bahdoon becomes the first Somali ever to win a federal parliamentary seat representing Addis Ababa. Among the 8 candidates that ran for the post this Awbarre District native won. She is also the current Federal State Minster of Health.

View attachment 189859

View attachment 189860

View attachment 189861

Mash'Allah good news. First Somali to win a federal seat in Addis Ababa.

She's been in Ethiopian politics for a long time and so was her father AUN. Glad to hear the good news that she won her federal seat in Addis Ababa. Abiy Ahmed made a good choice and she is already State Minister of Health.

Congrats to her.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
of course there is. but don't you worry, I got your back sister.:mjpls:

:dead:

Mash'Allah good news. First Somali to win a federal seat in Addis Ababa.

She's been in Ethiopian politics for a long time and so was her father AUN. Glad to hear the good news that she won her federal seat in Addis Ababa. Abiy Ahmed made a good choice and she is already State Minister of Health.

Congrats to her.

This is wonderful news for our sister. I highly support competency.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
@Sophisticate

Sa'diya 'Awale today won the federal parliamentarian seat for Dire Dawa State. Congrats to her aswell.

View attachment 189870
View attachment 189871

What's up with these Jibril Yonis folks. They keep winning. :ohhh: So they are both Dahir Riyale's sub-clan, Reer Dudub, soomaha.

As an aside, I think it's lovely that more women are influencing politics in Ethiopia. It's a win for Somali women as well and for Beesha.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
More Female somalis in politics within Ethiopia then Somalia lmao.

Who would have thought Ethiopia was more equitable? The educational attainment and literacy rates for women are higher than in Somalia. And there is greater political participation for women. Somalia should take notes.

@Sophisticate

Nimco Ali Maydhane wins the federal state house seat in Dire Dawa State in the elections.
Mash'Allah.

View attachment 189996
:banderas:We are producing a crop of highly educated and politically active Somali women particularly among Beesha. 3 for the win.

mashallah Somalis were living in Addis for close to half a century congratulations to sister Bahdoon

It's wonderful news for us Somalis. I agree.

All three are our relatives. :browtf:

There were some other Awdalite candidates who ran aswell in Dire Dawa, let's see if they won and they have a number of seats already. So far in these elections, it's 2 federal Dire Dawa seats, Nimco and Sa'diya and 1 Addis Ababa federal seat, Dr Saharla.

The fact that it was women who won this much is really amazing. Kudos to the Ethiopian political system that have empowered women to run.

Last edited:
Another woman candidate won in Dire Dawa.

Beftu Mohammed Ibrahim, she is Gurgura Dir, she won the federal State seat in Dire Dawa state.

Beftu.jpg

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
There were some other Awdalite candidates who ran aswell in Dire Dawa, let's see if they won and they have a number of seats already. So far in these elections, it's 2 federal Dire Dawa seats, Nimco and Sa'diya and 1 Addis Ababa federal seat, Dr Saharla.

The fact that it was women who won this much is really amazing. Kudos to the Ethiopian political system that has empowered women to run.

Another woman candidate won in Dire Dawa.

Beftu Mohammed Ibrahim, she is Gurgura Dir, she won the federal State seat in Dire Dawa state.

View attachment 190002

Wow, 4 Somali women and Insh'Allah more to come. I think Ethiopia is being more strategic and envelope pushing which is a plus. I congrat all these women and anymore to come as results become avaliable.

The real show down is in DDS elections in sept 6th PP vs ONLF

Unfortunately it's never going to be a fair election. They've already arrested many ONLF candidates. Ethiopia is good at empowering women, but crap in democracy.
The ONLF would have made great gains in some areas, but many have been arrested unfortunately.

PP have already won.