Fellow history buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I was wondering if many Somalis on here were into history. I'm not specifically talking about Somali history but history in general?

I'm into history. What periods are you interested in?

lol @Charles Martel. You really hate us muslims kkkkkk

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I'm into history. What periods are you interested in?

lol @Charles Martel. You really hate us muslims kkkkkk

I'm mostly into modern history going as far back as the late 19th century. I'm pretty well versed on russian history from that period. I'm also into the history of the world wars and their causes.

Lool I don't hate Muslims at all but I can see why you suppose that. I'll change my DP to something neutral as to not appear hateful.

I admire Charles Martel because he led the fight against Ummayad attempts to invade France. Imagine Europe today if France was conquered??

I also tend to despise the way that most people categorise the Islamic conquests and refuse to acknowledge that they were imperialists who established colonies in conquered territories as much as the Europeans did.

However, the cultural and intellectual contribution of the Islamic golden age is too be admired. Many of the great Greek books would've been lost if the Muslims did not preserve them.

I'm mostly into modern history going as far back as the late 19th century. I'm pretty well versed on russian history from that period. I'm also into the history of the world wars and their causes.

Lool I don't hate Muslims at all but I can see why you suppose that. I'll change my DP to something neutral as to not appear hateful.

I admire Charles Martel because he led the fight against Ummayad attempts to invade France. Imagine Europe today if France was conquered??

I also tend to despise the way that most people categorise the Islamic conquests and refuse to acknowledge that they were imperialists who established colonies in conquered territories as much as the Europeans did.

However, the cultural and intellectual contribution of the Islamic golden age is too be admired. Many of the great Greek books would've been lost if the Muslims did not preserve them.
I was just joking about the hating Muslims thing. Most people here wouldn't get it anyway.

It was definitely a major event in history though. The entire world as we know it now would be drastically different if Ummayad troops conquered Europe. Even the Ottomans had a chance to do it too had they conquered Vienna.

Right now I'm reading about 17th century Europe and how nation states were being formed with the Treaty of Westphalia. Very interesting stuff.

Apollo

VIP
My knowledge of Asian history is sort of messy. I know bits and pieces here and there.

My understanding of African history is pretty poor.

Check out ''The Civilizations of Africa: A History to 1800'' by Christopher Ehret. One of the best general intros into ancient African history.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I was just joking about the hating Muslims thing. Most people here wouldn't get it anyway.

It was definitely a major event in history though. The entire world as we know it now would be drastically different if Ummayad troops conquered Europe. Even the Ottomans had a chance to do it too had they conquered Vienna.

Right now I'm reading about 17th century Europe and how nation states were being formed with the Treaty of Westphalia. Very interesting stuff.

In all the terrible aspects of conquests I like to think I'm one of the few who focus on the certain positive aspects. Muslims conquests have greatly touched the culture of Southern European in a way that we can still see the buildings and art it left behind. It's just like how the British empire wasn't the force of evil as many like to think but it also did many good things such as abolish and fight slavery.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
Charles Martel was just a dirty Germanic barbarian.

I think you need to brush up on your history. Charles Martel was most definitely NOT a barbaric Frankish. He fought a series of battles to stop the advancing Islamic empires who sought to conquer Western Europe. I think it would be most kind to show a little objectivity.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
They also gave away the Ogaden and Hawd to Ethiopia in 1948/52 and NFD to Kenya in 1963

:mybusiness:

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
I think you need to brush up on your history. Charles Martel was most definitely NOT a barbaric Frankish. He fought a series of battles to stop the advancing Islamic empires who sought to conquer Western Europe. I think it would be most kind to show a little objectivity.

He was a Frank that had no business in Gaul to begin with, Gaul for the Gaulish!

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
He was a Frank that had no business in Gaul to begin with, Gaul for the Gaulish!

Plus, that's not the point. The point is that France falling would lead to a domino effect of other European kingdoms falling. The Franks could not allow the Muslims to take Western Europe.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Lol, France is named after the Franks, even though the Franks were proto-Dutch and not Gaulish or Roman.

The celts are the calibeysteen of Europe, now they're confined to the British isles and the self hating Celts masquerading as Saxons rule them even there

:chrisfreshhah:

Apollo

VIP
The celts are the calibeysteen of Europe, now they're confined to the British isles and the self hating Celts masquerading as Saxons rule them even there

In Ireland and Wales most people speak only English. They forgot their own language. :ulachen001:

In all the terrible aspects of conquests I like to think I'm one of the few who focus on the certain positive aspects. Muslims conquests have greatly touched the culture of Southern European in a way that we can still see the buildings and art it left behind. It's just like how the British empire wasn't the force of evil as many like to think but it also did many good things such as abolish and fight slavery.
When I study history I don't really look at it in terms of good and evil. It's all about power and acquiring and controlling economic resources.

Britain didn't really have any need for slavery in the 1800's since the US was now independent. Also the Industrial Revolution made human labor less valuable. Plus they still didn't get rid of indentured servitude which was basically the same as slavery.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Plus, that's not the point. The point is that France falling would lead to a domino effect of other European kingdoms falling. The Franks could not allow the Muslims to take Western Europe.

There was no such thing as a "European" identity in the dark ages fam, shit was a playground for everybody from the Huns who came from the Eurasian steppe to the Visigoths that went from Scandinavia to the black Sea to fucking Spain or the Vandals that ended up in North Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending