Fate and Freewill

Are humans controlled by fate or do they have freewill

• Total voters
Can anyone on here explain to me whether I have freewill or is everything about me already decided and my hands are already handcuffed by fate itself.

Can anyone on here explain to me whether I have freewill or is everything about me already decided and my hands are already handcuffed by fate itself.
I have minored in philosophy and my view is that Allah is eternal; in other words Allah exists outside of time and space or is not confined to it. On the other hand, we as his creations exist in time and space hence experience time in succession, i.e. one moment at a time. Therefore since Allah exists outside of time and space he perceives all events simultaneously. As a result Allah is omniscient(all knowing) at the same time we have complete free will and can do as we choose to as Allah sees the past present and future all simultaneously as he’s in a different dimension to us which is not confined by time or space.

Last edited:
I have minored in philosophy and my view is that Allah is eternal; in other words Allah exists outside of time and space. On the other hand, we as his creations exist in time and space hence experience time in succession, i.e. one moment at a time. Therefore since Allah exists outside of time and space he experiences all events simultaneously. As a result Allah is omniscient(all knowing) at the same time we have complete free will and can do as we choose to.
Thank you for answering my question this answer has given me a whole different viewpoint. You've explained it very well

I think this is in line with the deen but a lot of stuff that I learned is not necessarily always consistent with the deen and so it can’t be used to explain the deen.

he experiences all events simultaneously
You cannot use the term "experience" with regard to Allah because He is not affected by anything. He created time and space. You cannot talk about what is outside this because that would be outside your realm of conception, especially with regard to Allah.

I agree we have free will and that Allah has all the knowledge of our choices and all possible combinations of choices we could have had that we did not take.

You cannot use the term "experience" with regard to Allah because He is not affected by anything. He created time and space. You cannot talk about what is outside this because that would be outside your realm of conception, especially with regard to Allah.

I agree we have free will and that Allah has all the knowledge of our choices and all possible combinations of choices we could have had that we did not take.
I think perceive would be a better word instead of experience. I am not claiming to have knowledge outside of time and space but I am merely explaining that Allah is not confined to space and time thus he can perceive our past,present, and future simultaneously.

I think perceive would be a better word instead of experience. I am not claiming to have knowledge outside of time and space but I am merely explaining that Allah is not confined to space and time thus he can perceive our past,present, and future simultaneously.
I had to correct you on the use of language and its flawed implication (and you should edit) since "experience" means undergoing a condition, and nothing conditions Allah while He is the one who maintains everything and has all Knowledge.

Speaking of time and space. Yes, of course, he has all the knowledge about it. Because time and space are creations of Allah, aspects of this "reality." These things are not something by themselves.

To be fair, this an explanation to the question that was asked but I feel like philosophy can be mental gymnastics and has no bounds when it comes to free thinking. So the sheikhs on here can share an answer based on deen.

But nonetheless my explanation seems useful although I wouldn’t advise using philosophical theories to explain the deen most of the times.

The way I see it, there are a variety of life paths you can choose from, but the troubles or lack thereof are similar to bumps on a road when driving to a location. You indeed have free will in that you can react to circumstances, but you cannot adapt to them if that makes sense.

Neither the car nor the life path is fixed, only the location and the bumps. But this is my peabrained take, so take it with some salt.

pinkyandthebrain

All praise is due to Allah Lord of the worlds.
VIP
I have minored in philosophy and my view is that Allah is eternal; in other words Allah exists outside of time and space or is not confined to it. On the other hand, we as his creations exist in time and space hence experience time in succession, i.e. one moment at a time. Therefore since Allah exists outside of time and space he perceives all events simultaneously. As a result Allah is omniscient(all knowing) at the same time we have complete free will and can do as we choose to as Allah sees the past present and future all simultaneously as he’s in a different dimension to us which is not confined by time or space.
I agree but Allah is also out of dimension.

it's both. you have to believe it's both. I am sure insha'Allah there are ppl who can explain it but I think you'll go crazy if you stress over it. I think just accept it. some things are very complicated. I say this because I myself personally feel like my head would explode if I tried to understand this in depth. I don't doubt it but I also think it's some super complex topic.

also btw I think even many kaffir philosophers have defended a position which is the correct position which I believe they call "compatibilism".... the idea that determinism and free will can both be true at the same time.... I say this to express that even many kaffir philosophers believe that free will and determinism are not mutually exclusive and that even they hold a third position where they believe in both at the same time... so even they have in a sub-branch of their philosophy studies.... there is a whole sub-branch defending this position... but this is some super mega in depth complicated topic as I understand it.... if you wanted to, I think you could drop everything and just spend the next ten years of your life studying only this topic... for the sake of your own sanity, I urge people not to overthink it...

Rakoon

Secessionist
Belief in the divine knowledge of Allah (SWT) entails acceptance that He knows for a fact everything before it comes into existence. Consequently, choosing differently from what He knows to be would be impossible, as His knowledge is rooted in absolute certainty.

For example, Allah knew with absolute certainty, even before creating you, that you would post a thread about fate on spot. Therefore, it is impossible for you to choose not to post this thread. All your choices and freedoms must align with what Almighty Allah knows and writes down about you.

Trending