Family time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that a lot of Somalis rarely engage in family time in which both the mother AND father take out the children or just have quality time together.

Mixed family meetings especially back home is not the norm. Usually the women, hang out with the women and the men with the men, even within the family.

Obviously, this isn't the case with the younger married generation.

This is pretty unique, as even the Arabs who are very conservative, always like to do things as a couple.

Do you think this contributes to the breakdown of the family, as it creates a distance between husband and wife?

Question: have your parents ever went to your school's parents evening together?

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
No, never ! and I never saw them showing some affection each other, i thought it was just my parents but it seems it is common among other Somalis as well

Mixed family meetings especially back home is not the norm. Usually the women, hang out with the women and the men with the men, even within the family.

This is pretty unique, as even the Arabs who are very conservative, always like to do things as a couple.

Do you think this contributes to the breakdown of the family,

Mixed family gatherings is a daily occurence in my family back home, later in the evening everyone will sit together, talk, tell stories, listen to the radio. Everyone from grandparents down to female and male cousins and then you'd have randomn people drop by to join the conversation some days too.
I thought this was the norm?

I feel it's in the west where everyone is locked up in their room. There are some families that are tight knit, depends on the parents.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Especially during eid I see more mothers spending quality time with their kids than fathers

Otherwise you don’t tend to see mother and fathers spending quality time with their kids

Especially during eid I see more mothers spending quality time with their kids than fathers

Otherwise you don’t tend to see mother and fathers spending quality time with their kids
Father should never spend useless leisure time with their kids .

very uncool and unproductive

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
Older Somali couples don’t even share a room after 40 and you’re talking about quality family time lol the good thing is us younger generation are changing that, I see more young fathers out with the children and showing affection in public.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Father should never spend useless leisure time with their kids .

very uncool and unproductive

Why? lol Its proven spending time helping your children with schoolwork or reading together, especially in their early years, will foster an environment that values academics. If your child feels comfortable coming to you with schoolwork, they are more likely to perform better academically.

Its has more negative impact on the Son more than the daughter. Its hard explain but it makes male more feminine. Its best if the sons spends time with male cousins,brother uncles etr.

Same for the girl

I said mixed. Not a son only being surrounded by female family members.

I'm talking about family activities with mum, dad, brothers, sisters and grandparents ect. Being around both genders.

Also, spending time with the nuclear family. Parents actually behaving like partners and raising kids along side each other.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I said mixed. Not a son only being surrounded by female family members.

I'm talking about family activities with mum, dad, brothers, sisters and grandparents ect. Being around both genders.

Also, spending time with the nuclear family. Parents actually behaving like partners and raising kids along side each other.

Thats fine. Most of the time when mixed family gatherings happen, its more women to men. But the scenario you mentioned is fine and actually good

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I've noticed that a lot of Somalis rarely engage in family time in which both the mother AND father take out the children or just have quality time together.

Do you think this contributes to the breakdown of the family, as it creates a distance between husband and wife?

Question: have your parents ever went to your school's parents evening together?

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar

When I was younger my family would always have dinner together. We used to go on trips like the beach and the zoo. They used to come to sports days and school events as well. Then again there were only 3 kids so it’s easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending