Fact checking : politics not security separated Robow from farmajo

Acting National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) director Yasin Farey has claimed that former Al-Shabaab number two Mukhtar Robow who has been under house arrest since December 2018 remains a threat to the public and has not withdrawn his allegiance to the militant group.

In his response to Internal Security Minister Abdullahi Nur for information on the detained former militant leader, Farey said Robow does not meet the conditions for release since he has not denounced terrorism. He added that Robow is being provided with a $7,000 monthly stipend and is even pursuing a masters degree. Additionally, Farey said Robow is in good health contrary to a VOA interview on October 2021 where Robow said his health was failing.

Goobjoog News English

FACT CHECK: Politics and not security separated Robow from Farmaajo​

December 29, 2021
A A
Legal puzzle for Farmaajo should Robow win
FILE: Mukhtar Robow speaking in a political campaign Oct. 10, 2018 in Baidoa. Photo: AP Photo

GOOBJOOG NEWS|MOGADISHU: Acting National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA) director Yasin Farey has claimed that former Al-Shabaab number two Mukhtar Robow who has been under house arrest since December 2018 remains a threat to the public and has not withdrawn his allegiance to the militant group.
In his response to Internal Security Minister Abdullahi Nur for information on the detained former militant leader, Farey said Robow does not meet the conditions for release since he has not denounced terrorism. He added that Robow is being provided with a $7,000 monthly stipend and is even pursuing a masters degree. Additionally, Farey said Robow is in good health contrary to a VOA interview on October 2021 where Robow said his health was failing.

TRACING THE STORY​

But how are we to make of the claims by the NISA chief? A look back at the relationship between the Mohamed Farmaajo administration and Robow highlights a political rather than a security concern by Villa Somalia.
On August 13, 2017, Robow, who had been rumoured to have fallen out with Al-Shabaab as from 2013 surrendered to South West state authorities. Two days later on August 15, he was flown alongside his son to Mogadishu where he held a presser denouncing Al-Shabaab and stating he was no longer a member. He was not to be heard for about six months.
The U.S government had withdrawn a $5 million bounty on Robow on June 23, 2017.

GOVERNMENT BACKED TOURS​

On February 18, 2018, flanged by Federal Government officials and security, Robow left for Baidoa, his home turf where he met clan elders and shortly returned to Mogadishu. Six months later on October 4, 2018, Robow, seen as an ally of the administration whom he was thought would be instrumental in sharing intelligence about Al-Shabaab, arrived in Baidoa. It is on this day that he announced his candidature for the South West presidential race. On October 10, he held another meeting with clan elders and appealed to them to vote for him. All this while, Robow appeared as a public face of the Farmaajo administration and had his support.
Following the deadly truck bombing at Zoobe Junction on October 14, 2017, which claimed over 500 lives, Robow visited victims in hospitals and condemned the attack. He liked the attack to the Shamo Hotel bombing in 2009 during a graduation ceremony that killed medical graduands, ministers and lecturers. Robow joined members of the public in a blood donation drive in Mogadishu on October 16.

CLEARED FOR ELECTIONS​

On November 25, Robow received his clearance certificate to run for the South West state presidency. The elections committee did not raise objections. But on December 13, Robow was captured in a government-orchestrated act that involved Ethiopian forces in Baidoa. The State elections committee had called for a meeting of presidential candidates and as Robow made way into the venue, which was the South West state presidential villa, he was ambushed and arrested by Ethiopian forces who flew him to Mogadishu.

Shortly thereafter, the Federal Government issued a statement noting that Robow had not completed the reintegration programme for former extremists and was therefore not legible for elections. Following his forceful withdrawal from the race, violence rocked Baidoa leading to the shooting dead of 15 civilians by government forces on December 18.

Then head of AMISOM Nicholas Haysom questioned the role of the government forces on December 29 and by January 1, 2019, he was expelled out of the country by Villa Somalia. By pulling Robow out of action, Villa Somalia installed its candidate, Abdiasis Lafta Gareen, then a minister as President of South West state. Fast forward to October 2021, Robow said in a VOA interview his health was failing.

It follows therefore that politics and security came in the way of a budding and seemingly productive relationship between Farmaajo and Robow. For Farmaajo who was working to remake the Federal Member States into his own image and liking, Robow would have been to volatile and independent to fit the bill.

This shameless government want us to believe their lies .

Is evident roobow is illegally locked up not because of security but of his aspiration to be president of south west state.
USA and Somalia government cleared him from terrorist list and even gave him diplomatic passport to travel to saudi for hajj and umarah

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
We know HAG love terrorists but hes not going nowhere keep crying

$ 7k monthly?

1640832538008.gif

Roboow and Hassan Dahir Aweys the godfather of Somali terrorism should have faced the firing squad long time ago. Their own qabil who suffered the most will be the first to defend them. Classic 68er’s

𐒈𐒈𐒆𐒍

𐒑𐒘𐒌𐒚𐒘𐒇𐒂𐒇𐒒𐒇𐒀
I believe Aun Abdiaziz Afrika was among those who negotiated Roobows surrender to KGS, his denouncing of terrorism & the 5 year war he led before that against AS was national news how can a official lie about that he shot himself in leg nacaska now its obvious Roobow is a political prisoner.

NN iyo Ruunta maxa kala haysta :ohlord:

Roboow and Hassan Dahir Aweys the godfather of Somali terrorism should have faced the firing squad long time ago. Their own qabil who suffered the most will be the first to defend them. Classic 68er’s

@Sheikh Kulkuli always tells me about someone from my sub sub sub sub subclan Thats part of Al Shaydaan as if I care. To hell with that Khaariji shoot him in the head.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
All former alshabaab leaders who caused atrocities should be brought to the justice, any other low rank member who surrender should be investigated and integrated to the society after serving his term

I believe Aun Abdiaziz Afrika was among those who negotiated Roobows surrender to KGS, his denouncing of terrorism & the 5 year war he led before that against AS was national news how can a official lie about that he shot himself in leg nacaska now its obvious Roobow is a political prisoner.

They even gave him diplomatic passport to attend hajj and umarah , is only when he wanted to run for sws presidency that much is obvious .

I agree but to be fair they shouldve done that day one . You cant forgive someone and let them walk among society to only put them in house arrest after knowing their ambition to represent their ppl .
Roobow falling out with FGS doesnt have anything to do with security but it's all cheap politics .

I agree but to be fair they shouldve done that day one . You cant forgive someone and let them walk among society to only put them in house arrest after knowing their ambition to represent their ppl .
Roobow falling out with FGS doesnt have anything to do with security but it's all cheap politics .
Yep, you can’t kill em now after granting amnesty. That nigga Hassan Dahir is a social media star now

:mjkkk:
@Sheikh Kulkuli always tells me about someone from my sub sub sub sub subclan Thats part of Al Shaydaan as if I care. To hell with that Khaariji shoot him in the head.
These khawarij will kill their own mothers iska daa umaad kale. I rather have a Moryaan who knows deep down what his doing is wrong than someone who thinks spilling your blood will lead him to jannah.

@Maxamed bin Harti
Do you think rooble knew something that
Al shabaab and nisa dont want the public knowing ?
Is evident al Shabaab shadow leaders are foreign , a foreign country (qatar) promised they will have FGS sit down with al Shabaab leaders to make a deal few years ago . What's certain is Qatar and al Shabaab communicate often is open secret now

@Maxamed bin Harti
Do you think rooble knew something that
Al shabaab and nisa dont want the public knowing ?
Is evident al Shabaab shadow leaders are foreign , a foreign country (qatar) promised they will have FGS sit down with al Shabaab leaders to make a deal few years ago . What's certain is Qatar and al Shabaab communicate often is open secret now

No doubt Qatar is a major sponsor of terrorism in somalia and the world. You know it’s bad even when hablaha sacudiga accuses you of sponsoring terrorism.

Trending

Latest posts