Example of Somali without double vowels

I know some people(including me) talk about how we should get rid of double vowels in Somali, but I think I should provide and example, and have you all tell me your opinions on it

I will be using an excerpt from the Universal Decleration of Human Rights, in Somali

What it looks like with standard somali orthography:

"Aadanaha dhammaantiis wuxuu dhashaa isagoo xor ah kana siman xagga sharafta iyo xuquuqada Waxaa Alle (Ilaah) siiyay aqoon iyo wacyi, waana in qof la arkaa qofka kale ula dhaqmaa si walaaltinimo ah."

What it would look like without double vowels and with macrons:

"Āadanaha dhammāntiis wuxū dhashā isagō xor ah kana siman xagga sharafta iyo xuqūqada Waxā Alle (Ilāh) sīyay aqōn iyo wacyi, wāna in qof la arkā qofka kale ula dhaqmā si walāltinimo ah."

We could also use diaeresis, aka the vowels with two dots on top to represent long vowels instead of the double vowels:

"Äadanaha dhammäntiis wuxü dhashä isagö xor ah kana siman xagga sharafta iyo xuqüqada Waxä Alle (Ilaah) sïyay aqön iyo wacyi, wäna in qof la arkä qofka kale ula dhaqmä si walältinimo ah."

Last edited:
UCK Latin
:gaasdrink: :gaasdrink:
The reason we chose Latin was because all the typewriters and printers and other infrastucture related to books and writing was in Latin.

If we really wanted to, we could change the script to Osmanya or Arabic, but Somalia has bigger problems right now.

𐒈𐒝𐒑𐒛𐒐𐒘𐒕𐒖 𐒔𐒖 𐒒𐒝𐒐𐒛𐒂𐒙!

(If you want to transilterate between Latin and Osmanya use this)
Somali transliteration between Osmaniya and Latin script (surge.sh)

The reason we chose Latin was because all the typewriters and printers and other infrastucture related to books and writing was in Latin.

If we really wanted to, we could change the script to Osmanya or Arabic, but Somalia has bigger problems right now.

𐒈𐒝𐒑𐒛𐒐𐒘𐒕𐒖 𐒔𐒖 𐒒𐒝𐒐𐒛𐒂𐒙!

(If you want to transilterate between Latin and Osmanya use this)
Somali transliteration between Osmaniya and Latin script (surge.sh)
Osmanya Is The Way But Other Somalis Will Reject It Because Of Qabill Never Knowing The Man Who Put Pen To Papper Was No Qabilist Like They Are
:jcoleno::kanyeshrug:

Osmanya Is The Way But Other Somalis Will Reject It Because Of Qabill Never Knowing The Man Who Put Pen To Papper Was No Qabilist Like They Are
:jcoleno::kanyeshrug:
Osmanya looks so cool too, idc if a Majerteen guy made it at the end of the day we're all Somalis
:rejoice:

"Āadanaha dhammāntiis wuxū dhashā isagō xor ah kana siman xagga sharafta iyo xuqūqada Waxā Alle (Ilāh) sīyay aqōn iyo wacyi, wāna in qof la arkā qofka kale ula dhaqmā si walāltinimo ah."

I like this one , It was really pleasant and easy to read , I was reading it faster than I usually do with afSomali , since I'm a self-taught I generally read it like a first grader, lol .

Last edited:

Trending