Evolution of Somali cultural dress

Cyrus

Arabist| Akh-Right Movement|احب الملكات العرب
Somalis went from cawaan, pseudo-islamic people who only professed their Muslimnimo but didnt even know how to pray, read the quran or dress properly. The women were basically naked and wore very light material which exposed their neck, arms, legs and even upper chest. :gucciwhat: BTW, this was all further consolidated when Barre took over and doubled down on their jaahiliyya forcing women not to wear hijab/jilbaab etc which many new age Somalis have mistakenly took for the women not wanting to wear such religous clothing. They literally werent allowed to by the despotic regime.

Alhamdulilllah, we found out about the appropriate way of practicing the deen/how to wear the jilaab/niqab/hijab now and our women are more dignified/modest than ever before. Anyone one who espouses ideals that will make us regress back to our times of Jahiliyya, needs to be shut down with these facts.

psyche

To each their own
People have opinions about the Islamic dress code.

Personally if I was a Muslim woman I wouldn't cover myself up.

Last edited:
Somalis went from cawaan, pseudo-islamic people who only professed their Muslimnimo but didnt even know how to pray, read the quran or dress properly. The women were basically naked and wore very light material which exposed their neck, arms, legs and even upper chest. :gucciwhat: BTW, this was all further consolidated when Barre took over and doubled down on their jaahiliyya forcing women not to wear hijab/jilbaab etc which many new age Somalis have mistakenly took for the women not wanting to wear such religous clothing. They literally werent allowed to by the despotic regime.

Alhamdulilllah, we found out about the appropriate way of practicing the deen/how to wear the jilaab/niqab/hijab now and our women are more dignified/modest than ever before. Anyone one who espouses ideals that will make us regress back to our times of Jahiliyya, needs to be shut down with these facts.

:kodaksmiley:
Somali people were never cawaan..we contributed or we were behind the Egyptian civilization..just cause you langaab doesnt mean all of us are laangaab.

Personally if I was a Muslim woman I wouldn't wear cover myself up.

Personally if you were you be a ho e..somebodys daughter gotta dress scandalously and be the hoe that fuc's everybody in the neighborhood..atheists daughters are easily qualified :lolbron:

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
“Our women”? I thought you didn’t like or care for Somali girls and are marrying an arab. Not to attack you but why would you care about how Somali women act or dress?

Last edited:

Warlaabe

Malenism | Akh-Right Movement الصوماليون عرب

I am gonna make sure my 5 years old girl wears jilbab or niqab to many gays in this world

"Anyone one who espouses ideals that will make us regress back to our times of Jahiliyya, needs to be shut down with these facts."

People like this are very close to believing in the ideology of Al-Shabaab, this type of thinking is regressive and dangerous.

Somali's were not godless heathens before Salafism came to Somalia, have some self-respect.

i don’t know if things were different in other cities, but my mom told me that before the war, women in xamar wore revealing clothing, specifically this type that showed one shoulder and the arms
she said that siad barre made regulations that made it so in school, the children had to wear more westernized clothing and no hijab
you're right about the "jahaliyyah" thing though, lots of people were doing sihr and barely practicing on the "right path" :manny:
people became more educated alhamdullilah

Cyrus

“Our women”? I thought you didn’t like or care for Somali girls and are marrying an arab. Not to attack you but why would you care about how Somali women act or dress?
Im still Somali and ofc Somali women are my 'women' as they are my sisters, cousins, mothers etc. I love Somali women platonically and care about their welfare.

Cyrus

I am gonna make sure my 5 years old girl wears jilbab or niqab to many gays in this world
Inshallah, if i have a daughter i would put a hijab/jilbab on her early on so she can acclimatize to it and doesnt have identity issues when she grows up.

Cyrus

I could've sworn you were claiming Arab and swore off Somali women a month ago :francis:
What about my post has anything to do with wanting to date/marry Somali women??? I made a commentary on the evolution of dress code of Somali women-thats all. :gucciwhat: Plus im a married man akhi, i have no such interest at this present time

Cyrus

"Anyone one who espouses ideals that will make us regress back to our times of Jahiliyya, needs to be shut down with these facts."

People like this are very close to believing in the ideology of Al-Shabaab, this type of thinking is regressive and dangerous.

Somali's were not godless heathens before Salafism came to Somalia, have some self-respect.
What would you propose akhi?? Women running around with booty shorts and crop tops up and down Mogadishu??

Salafism saved Somalia and without it- we would be no different to our Ethiopian neighbours who are frequented for sex tourism by Europeans. Alhamdulillah for salafism

Cyrus

i don’t know if things were different in other cities, but my mom told me that before the war, women in xamar wore revealing clothing, specifically this type that showed one shoulder and the arms
she said that siad barre made regulations that made it so in school, the children had to wear more westernized clothing and no hijab
you're right about the "jahaliyyah" thing though, lots of people were doing sihr and barely practicing on the "right path" :manny:
people became more educated alhamdullilah
Yep, people were very uneducated about the deen and things were Exacerbated by the regime who wanted to westernise everything. Barre killed Sheikhs who wanted to teach people how to properly practise Islam and made it hard for women to wear hijab. Turbulent times, indeed.

Cyrus

Personally if I was a Muslim woman I wouldn't cover myself up.
We also have opinions on western dress code lool- people have opinions on everything.

Good thing you arent a Muslim woman then i suppose

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP

wow my mom said that same thing to me too, it was the disco era I believe. :)

Shmurda

King Of NSFW
That nigga siad barre was on some next shyt walle banning hijab in schools and govt places what a devil :mjlol:

Worst part is thats not even what pissed off the other somalis. It was the khat ban that made us all chimp out and come for his head :dead:

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Somalis were never cawaan, this cawaan period is the communist era of Siad Barre who enforced his Marxist beliefs on the country

Somali women always wore Hijab up until the Marxist Era which counts for less than 20 years :childplease:

Cyrus

Somalis were never cawaan, this cawaan period is the communist era of Siad Barre who enforced his Marxist beliefs on the country

Somali women always wore Hijab up until the Marxist Era which counts for less than 20 years :childplease:
yeh but the hijabs they wore werent as modest as the ones now which is a good transition tbh. Plus, whats the point of wearing the hijab if you dont even know where to face for salah?? :heh: Alhamdulillah, we found the correct teaching of Islam and stuck by it.

Destiny

Shaah Enthusiast
Im still Somali and ofc Somali women are my 'women' as they are my sisters, cousins, mothers etc. I love Somali women platonically and care about their welfare.
If you find us repulsive imo you shouldn’t care what we do. Just saying.

Trending

Latest posts