Everybody lies: how Google search reveals our darkest secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
What can we learn about ourselves from the things we ask online? US data scientist Seth Stephens‑Davidowitz analysed anonymous Google search results, uncovering disturbing truths about our desires, beliefs and prejudices

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...eals-darkest-secrets-seth-stephens-davidowitz

Interesting article, apparently the latest Google data suggests that 5% of men are gay and white people are all secretly racist. :chrisfreshhah:

The Truth About Hate and Prejudice
Sex and romance are hardly the only topics cloaked in shame and, therefore, not the only topics about which people keep secrets. Many people are, for good reason, inclined to keep their prejudices to themselves. I suppose you could call it progress that many people today feel they will be judged if they admit they judge other people based on their ethnicity, sexual orientation, or religion. But many Americans still do. You can see this on Google, where users sometimes ask questions such as “Why are black people rude?” or “Why are Jews evil?”

A few patterns among these stereotypes stand out. For example, African Americans are the only group that faces a “rude” stereotype. Nearly every group is a victim of a “stupid” stereotype; the only two that are not: Jews and Muslims. The “evil” stereotype is applied to Jews, Muslims, and gay people but not black people, Mexicans, Asians, and Christians. Muslims are the only group stereotyped as terrorists. When a Muslim American plays into this stereotype, the response can be instantaneous and vicious. Google search data can give us a minute-by-minute peek into such eruptions of hate-fuelled rage.

Consider what happened shortly after the mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, on 2 December, 2015. That morning, Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik entered a meeting of Farook’s co-workers armed with semi-automatic pistols and semi-automatic rifles and murdered 14 people. That evening, minutes after the media first reported one of the shooters’ Muslim-sounding names, a disturbing number of Californians decided what they wanted to do with Muslims: kill them. The top Google search in California with the word “Muslims” in it at the time was “kill Muslims”. And overall, Americans searched for the phrase “kill Muslims” with about the same frequency that they searched for “martini recipe” and “migraine symptoms”.

In the days following the San Bernardino attack, for every American concerned with “Islamophobia”, another was searching for “kill Muslims”. While hate searches were approximately 20% of all searches about Muslims before the attack, more than half of all search volume about Muslims became hateful in the hours that followed it. And this minute-by-minute search data can tell us how difficult it can be to calm this rage.

Four days after the shooting, President Obama gave a prime-time address to the country. He wanted to reassure Americans that the government could both stop terrorism and, perhaps more importantly, quiet this dangerous Islamophobia. Obama appealed to our better angels, speaking of the importance of inclusion and tolerance. The rhetoric was powerful and moving. The Los Angeles Times praised Obama for “[warning] against allowing fear to cloud our judgment”. The New York Times called the speech both “tough” and “calming”. The website ThinkProgress praised it as “a necessary tool of good governance, geared towards saving the lives of Muslim Americans”. Obama’s speech, in other words, was judged a major success. But was it?

Google search data suggests otherwise. Together with Evan Soltas, then at Princeton, I examined the data. In his speech, the president said: “It is the responsibility of all Americans – of every faith – to reject discrimination.” But searches calling Muslims “terrorists”, “bad”, “violent”, and “evil” doubled during and shortly after the speech. President Obama also said: “It is our responsibility to reject religious tests on who we admit into this country.” But negative searches about Syrian refugees, a mostly Muslim group then desperately looking for a safe haven, rose 60%, while searches asking how to help Syrian refugees dropped 35%. Obama asked Americans to “not forget that freedom is more powerful than fear”. Yet searches for “kill Muslims” tripled during his speech. In fact, just about every negative search we could think to test regarding Muslims shot up during and after Obama’s speech, and just about every positive search we could think to test declined.

In other words, Obama seemed to say all the right things. But new data from the internet, offering digital truth serum, suggested that the speech actually backfired in its main goal. Instead of calming the angry mob, as everybody thought he was doing, the internet data tells us that Obama actually inflamed it. Sometimes we need internet data to correct our instinct to pat ourselves on the back.

So what should Obama have said to quell this particular form of hatred currently so virulent in America? We’ll circle back to that later. First we’re going to take a look at an age-old vein of prejudice in the United States, the form of hate that in fact stands out above the rest, the one that has been the most destructive and the topic of the research that began this book. In my work with Google search data, the single most telling fact I have found regarding hate on the internet is the popularity of the word “”.

Either singular or in its plural form, the word is included in 7m American searches every year. (Again, the word used in rap songs is almost always “nigga”, not “”, so there’s no significant impact from hip-hop lyrics to account for.) Searches for “ jokes” are 17 times more common than searches for “k*ke jokes”, “gook jokes”, “spic jokes”, “ch*nk jokes”, and “fag jokes” combined. When are these searches most common? Whenever African Americans are in the news. Among the periods when such searches were highest was the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, when television and newspapers showed images of desperate black people in New Orleans struggling for their survival. They also shot up during Obama’s first election. And searches rose on average about 30% on Martin Luther King Jr Day.

The frightening ubiquity of this racial slur throws into doubt some current understandings of racism. Any theory of racism has to explain a big puzzle in America. On the one hand, the overwhelming majority of black Americans think they suffer from prejudice – and they have ample evidence of discrimination in police stops, job interviews, and jury decisions. On the other hand, very few white Americans will admit to being racist. The dominant explanation among political scientists recently has been that this is due, in large part, to widespread implicit prejudice. White Americans may mean well, this theory goes, but they have a subconscious bias, which influences their treatment of black Americans.

Academics invented an ingenious way to test for such a bias. It is called the implicit association test. The tests have consistently shown that it takes most people milliseconds longer to associate black faces with positive words, such as “good”, than with negative words, such as “awful”. For white faces, the pattern is reversed. The extra time it takes is evidence of someone’s implicit prejudice – a prejudice the person may not even be aware of.

There is, though, an alternative explanation for the discrimination that African Americans feel and whites deny: hidden explicit racism. Suppose there is a reasonably widespread conscious racism of which people are very much aware but to which they won’t confess – certainly not in a survey. That’s what the search data seems to be saying. There is nothing implicit about searching for “ jokes”. And it’s hard to imagine that Americans are Googling the word “” with the same frequency as “migraine” and “economist” without explicit racism having a major impact on African Americans. Prior to the Google data, we didn’t have a convincing measure of this virulent animus. Now we do. We are, therefore, in a position to see what it explains. It explains why Obama’s vote totals in 2008 and 2012 were depressed in many regions. It also correlates with the black-white wage gap, as a team of economists recently reported. The areas that I had found make the most racist searches underpay black people.

#redpill

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
Not really, people deny that racism exists in 2017, especially in the West. @AbdiJohnson is currently using a racism denier as his avatar (Thomas Sowell).
kkkkk the "racism denier" term that gets thrown around at black conservatives is getting played out.

Read his work with an open mind, you will see the real "racists" are the liberals who championed the welfare state in the 60s

Not really, people deny that racism exists in 2017, especially in the West. @AbdiJohnson is currently using a racism denier as his avatar (Thomas Sowell).

Do you know black families with 2 university educated parents have a higher household income than white families with 2 university educated parents?

Apollo

VIP
kkkkk the "racism denier" term that gets thrown around at black conservatives is getting played out.

Read his work with an open mind, you will see the real "racists" are the liberals who championed the welfare state in the 60s

Association between an Internet-Based Measure of Area Racism and Black Mortality:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0122963

Black American Conservatives suffer from Stockholm syndrome*.

*Ironically named after the Swedish capital.

Apollo

VIP
Do you know black families with 2 university educated parents have a higher household income than white families with 2 university educated parents?

Because most likely Black American households with 2 university-level educated parents come from better genetic stock (relative to population mean) while the average Black American under-performs due to structural problems in society and racism.

Because most likely Black American households with 2 university-level educated parents come from better genetic stock (relative to population mean) while the average Black American under-performs due to structural problems in society and racism.

I'll tell you what racism looks like: not being able to apply for jobs because of "equal employment opportunities" policies, not getting in the school or program you wanted because someone of a different colour as you and with a lower GPA took your spot and also not being able to rent from a good percentage of the rent market because you're not a "minority".

Imagine the uproar if there was a white only scholarship or a white only music awards?

There is institutional racism and the only victims are white people. You can't find me anywhere where it's the official policy to discriminate non whites like it is for white people.

Apollo

VIP
I'll tell you what racism looks like: not being able to apply for jobs because of "equal employment opportunities" policies, not getting in the school or program you wanted because someone of a different colour as you and with a lower GPA took your spot and also not being able to rent from a good percentage of the rent market because you're not a "minority".

Imagine the uproar if there was a white only scholarship or a white only music awards?

There is institutional racism and the only victims of that are white. You can't find me anywhere where it's the official policy to discriminate non whites like it is for white people.

Modern Racism is real and based on simple evolutionary survival strategy (in-group bias). Basically caveman algorithms present in everyone's brain as some kind of bloatware you can't remove. Culture can bring it down, but not eliminate it.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist

There is institutional racism and the only victims are white people. You can't find me anywhere where it's the official policy to discriminate non whites like it is for white people.
Quit with this b.s. Although it's certainly true for some Universities I was at the top of my class with an incredibly high ACT score, I got lower scholarship amounts than some of my Asian friends with lower scores and rankings . it still covers my tuition alhamdullilah but this is an example of how affirmative action DNE

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Most the racism I see in the States is fake progressives looking down on minorities.

Right wing conservatives are on the other end of the extreme but there are far less of them with actual power.

I noticed how black culture picked up all sorts of degeneracy as soon as the civil rights act was implemented.

The democratic party can't survive today without the black support so they keep them depended on them as well.

GodKnowsBest

Somaliweyn Unionist
How high exactly? :patrice:
"Is a 31 on the ACT a good score? Yes, it is extremely good. It places you in approximately the 97th percentile nationally for all students who took theACT. "

I don't speak much about my education because it's easier and more fun to troll. Plus Somalis are envious people and there's no point talking about it. ;D

Bourbaki

2021 CHESS CHAMP
THE MAGICIAN
"Is a 31 on the ACT a good score? Yes, it is extremely good. It places you in approximately the 97th percentile nationally for all students who took theACT. "

I don't speak much about my education because it's easier and more fun to troll. Plus Somalis are envious people and there's no point talking about it. ;D
Ah nice, I live in the UK so I don't know much about the US education system.
I would have thought people here don't speak about their education so they don't get exposed :wowsweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts