EU top diplomat: Western dominance has ended

HR/VP Blog Last week, at the Munich Security Conference (MSC), I presented the four main tasks on EU’s geopolitical agenda: supporting Ukraine more and quicker; putting an end to the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza and implementing the two-state solution; improving our relations with the “Global South” and strengthening our defence and security. I also had a large number of bilateral meetings with our partners from all over the world.

Most interesting passage from this article:

Improving our links with the “Global South”​

The third strategic issue currently on our agenda is about our relations with the so-called “Global South” countries. I know that the term "Global South" encompasses very different realities, but it nevertheless raises a real issue. If the current global geopolitical tensions continue to evolve in the direction of "the West against the Rest", Europe’s future risks to be bleak. The era of Western dominance has indeed definitively ended. While this has been theoretically understood, we have not always drawn all practical conclusions from this new reality.

The combination of the war of aggression against Ukraine and the war in Gaza has significantly increased this risk, as we have recently seen in the Sahel and elsewhere in Africa. Many in the “Global South” accuse us of “double standards”. Russia has managed to take advantage of the situation although its war of aggression against Ukraine is typically an imperialist and colonialist one. We need to push back on this narrative but also to address this issue not only with words: in the coming months, we must make a massive effort to win back the trust of our partners.