Ethnicity explained

alien

📍outer space
VIP
People don't understand ethnicity. People are using quick definitions but that isn't the real definition. The definition of ethnicity is common folklore, ancestory, language, history, culture, nation, religion etc.

Now to get to my point. Oromos are not the same ethnic group as amhara. Afar are not the same ethnic group as Tigray. Tibetan is not the same ethnic group as Mongol. These groups are separate but live in the same country. Oromos, Amharas, Afars, Tigrays are all Ethiopian but are separate ethnic groups. Tibetan and Mongol both live in China but are different ethnic groups.

Somalia is confusing. Somalis nationality name is somali. But there is also an ethnic group called somali. Ethnic Somalis live indigenously in NFD, Somali galbeed and Djibouti. But Somali nationals only live in Somalia.

There are other ethnic groups in Somalia. Somali nationals. People who are somali by nationality but are there own ethnic group. They have separate ancestors and have languages unique to them. They are considered a separate ethnic group to somalis. These groups are Somali national so they have claim to the country Somalia but are there own ethnic groups. Barwani, Bajuni, and Somali-Bantu.

Barwani is its own ethnic group because of unique history, ancestors and Common language that they speak. Bajuni are also its own ethnic group because of common ancestors and separate language spoken. Somali-Bantu majority speak somali but have a separate unique history and ancestors and are considered a minority ethnic group in Somalia. These groups are not ethnic somali but Somali nationals, groups who have their own ethnicity, ancestors, history and languages. They are somali.

greyhound stone

The Boss💎
VIP
I fully understand but I consider myself to be a somali ethnic not a national. Somaliland happens to be my nation and somali to be my ethnicity. Yes I'm somali

alien

📍outer space
VIP
We need to start using the word Somalian to reduce the confusion. Somalian=nationality, Somali=ethnicity
I kinda feel we should change our country name but I really like the name Somalia because it means land of somalis

I definitely agree with changing the country name, but I don't like "Somalian", I feel I'm being insulted when someone says that :mjlol:

Someone created a bot on Reddit about it :pachah1:

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I definitely agree with changing the country name, but I don't like "Somalian", I feel I'm being insulted when someone says that :mjlol:

Someone created a bot on Reddit about it :pachah1:

Same. Somalian feels insulting. Sounds like they're making fun of me
:mjkkk::mjhaps:

I fully understand but I consider myself to be a somali ethnic not a national. Somaliland happens to be my nation and somali to be my ethnicity. Yes I'm somali
Your nationaltiy would be somalilander

and a Somali from Djibouti would be a Djiboutian

and a Somali from Somalia would be Somalian

but most Somalis from Somalia don’t use that because some People find it offensive idk why:kanyehmm:

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
We need to start using the word Somalian to reduce the confusion. Somalian=nationality, Somali=ethnicity

There is no confusion. This whole fiasco around the term "Somalian" has been contrived by Somalilanders who inexplicably want to foist this ungainly demonym on the rest of us.

Article 8 of the provisional constitution explicitly refers to citizens of the Federal Republic of Somalia as "Somali". This is how it has always been and will continue to be.
Barwani is its own ethnic group because of unique history, ancestors and Common language that they speak. Bajuni are also its own ethnic group because of common ancestors and separate language spoken. Somali-Bantu majority speak somali but have a separate unique history and ancestors and are considered a minority ethnic group in Somalia. These groups are not ethnic somali but Somali nationals, groups who have their own ethnicity, ancestors, history and languages. They are somali.

I fail to see the issue here. There are other countries who have ethnic minorities and a demonym which is also a ethnonym e.g. Finland and Finnish, Sweden and Swedish, France and French etc. No one would realistically confuse a French-Somali citizen with an ethnic French citizen. Somali-Bantu, Somali-Barwani etc. are distinct groups who are recognized as such by Somali society and the world.
Somalia is confusing. Somalis nationality name is somali. But there is also an ethnic group called somali. Ethnic Somalis live indigenously in NFD, Somali galbeed and Djibouti. But Somali nationals only live in Somalia.

Again, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. This should only be confusing if don't understand the difference between nationality and ethnicity. You can be ethnically Somali while also being an Ethiopian citizen (🤮). Likewise, you can be an ethnic Somali and a Somali citizen.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
There is no confusion. This whole fiasco around the term "Somalian" has been contrived by Somalilanders who inexplicably want to foist this ungainly demonym on the rest of us.

Article 8 of the provisional constitution explicitly refers to citizens of the Federal Republic of Somalia as "Somali". This is how it has always been and will continue to be.

I fail to see the issue here. There are other countries who have ethnic minorities and a demonym which is also a ethnonym e.g. Finland and Finnish, Sweden and Swedish, France and French etc. No one would realistically confuse a French-Somali citizen with an ethnic French citizen. Somali-Bantu, Somali-Barwani etc. are distinct groups who are recognized as such by Somali society and the world.

Again, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. This should only be confusing if don't understand the difference between nationality and ethnicity. You can be ethnically Somali while also being an Ethiopian citizen (🤮). Likewise, you can be an ethnic Somali and a Somali citizen.
I know I'm explaining cause I saw a thread saying that somali-bantu are ethnic somali and that their ethnicity is somali. Some somalis don't get the concept of ethnicity so I wanted to explain

greyhound stone

The Boss💎
VIP
lol deluded
S
giphy.gif

Trending