Ethiopia's Dams are causing droughts and food insecurity in Somalia

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Worst part is the dams are in the oromo region so even the Somalis there can't benefit from it.

Worst president ever.

Curse Farmaajo, I hope he ends up in a ditch somewhere what a bastard.

Now thousands of Somalis are gonna be starving because of this.

Inshallah, Farmaajo dies.

Meanwhile Egypt is ready to go to war because of the Nile, failmaajo can sign away ports meanwhile the rivers are drying up.

What Folks tend to forget is that Ethiopia is not an 1 Ethnic State like Somalia is, but Ethiopia is a State where all different Ethnics (like Somalis, Oromos, Bantus and the Habashis) are lumped together, so in a sense we Somalis are Ethiopians too.

Ethiopia is like USA an melting pot of all different Racial Ethnics.
Not really sxb certain ethnic groups dominate.

Drought is ravaging Gedo right now, how come nobody in Farmajo's government is talking about these dams.

This is 100% plausible, and me personally I actually believe it. So that’s my don’t shoot the messenger part of the response.

In reality how is any Somali Government supposed to be strong enough to challenge much bigger, more stable, more United countries, when the likes of you, and millions like you try your utmost to weaken any Somali Government, and pull the rug from under its feet? You’re like that person who feeds a chronic diabetic doughnuts, croissants, and coffee every morning then blast them when their blood sugar spikes. Funny thing is the Swiss cheese arguments you present are full of ironies. You bring up the Baardheere Dam in the 1980s, and Ethiopia exploiting us by building dams. Yet, you romanticize a criminal, and SSDF who were the first to run to Ethiopia, and kick off a chain of events that led to the State denigration, which ultimately led to the tragic status quo you comically feign concern for.

The Shabelle River which is one of the two perennial rivers in Somalia has had some sections of the channel getting dry for the third time in three years. The first being February and March 2016, then February and March 2017 and finally some sections dried early December 2017 to Mid-March 2018. The Gu rains are expected to kick off in late March and early April within the basin and this will see a rise in river levels. While there are many reasons behind the drying river bed, the main driver to this could be attributed to consecutive failed rainy seasons both in the Ethiopian Highlands and inside Somalia.

Rainfall analysis indicates depressed rains during the Deyr seasons of 2015, 2016 and 2017. The poor rains, and increased agricultural water use led to significant reduction of river flow. Massive sedimentation on the river bed has also resulted in decreased water quantity and quality along Shabelle River. Some reports attribute the flow reduction to riverine activities in Ethiopia where the river originates.

When the river dries out

The border between Somalia and Ethiopia is visible from Dollow. It is marked by a bridge crossing the river, Dawa. But currently there is no need for a bridge. In fact, there is no water to cross. The only sign of the river is the sunken riverbanks and a few puddles.

"When the river dries out, you can no longer cultivate the fields. Also, there is no longer any fishery, because there is no water to fish in,” says Abdirahman Mohamed Abdi, who manages several of the Danish Refugee Council's programs in the area: β€œWhen the river dries out, there is basically no food anymore.”

This is 100% plausible, and me personally I actually believe it. So that’s my don’t shoot the messenger part of the response.

In reality how is any Somali Government supposed to be strong enough to challenge much bigger, more stable, more United countries, when the likes of you, and millions like you try your utmost to weaken any Somali Government, and pull the rug from under its feet? You’re like that person who feeds a chronic diabetic doughnuts, croissants, and coffee every morning then blast them when their blood sugar spikes. Funny thing is the Swiss cheese arguments you present are full of ironies. You bring up the Baardheere Dam in the 1980s, and Ethiopia exploiting us by building dams. Yet, you romanticize a criminal, and SSDF who were the first to run to Ethiopia, and kick off a chain of events that led to the State denigration, which ultimately led to the tragic status quo you comically feign concern for.

When will you move beyond "whataboutism" and trying to ascribe random issues onto me?
I don't even support AY for Ethiopia and wished he found another way to depose your sinister uncle. Worry about rivers drying up in your region instead of focusing on me.

You'd think I drank the rivers dry. :draketf:

This is my last response to you. You have a history of following me around and being a weirdo.

Somalia's bread basket has become a dust bowl as the life-giving waters of the mighty Shabelle river run dry amid intense drought in the war-torn country.

River-fed farmlands have become parched playgrounds for children who kick footballs beneath a cloudless sky, as one sign among many of the failed rains that the United Nations warns has put more than a million people at risk.

Elders in the Lower and Middle Shabelle regions, where most people rely on farming for survival, said it is the first time in decades they have seen such water shortages in the river.

"I have never dreamt of finding myself walking inside the river," said Adow Amin, a resident in Afgoye town, just outside the capital Mogadishu, an area famous for its banana production.

"Can you imagine there is no water? The whole area looks like another place, I used to cross this river with a boat," he said.

Land here should be producing maize, bananas, sesame and other fruits and vegetables, with the once broad waters of the river a lifeline for thousands of Somali families.

The strangest thing is that Somalia always talks about drought but hardly anybody is talking about the real cause. These nomads clearly don't know that Ethiopia's dams are causing this.

For the first time in history, people are walking in areas that were formerly bodies of water.

"I have never dreamt of finding myself walking inside the river," said Adow Amin, a resident in Afgoye town, just outside the capital Mogadishu, an area famous for its banana production.

THANK YOU NABAR AND NAXDIN! Whilst these traitors were trying to destroy peaceful Somali communities. Ethiopia struck the final blow to Somalia.

So, the once fertile South will become barren very soon as Ethiopia has dammed the Jubba rivers and the Shabelle river.

Ethiopia has even stopped Somalia from building dams that don't even affect Ethiopia!!

The name of the Dam that will destroy Jubba/Shabelle rivers is

GENALA DAWA DAM

The plan is to use the Dam for energy so Ethiopia controls HOA and the diverted water will be used to have mass farming in kilika shanaad. Kilika shanaad by then will be overtaken by Oromo and Amharic farmers. The dumb N&N are trading Somalia Sovereignty to relive the kacaan era but this time as Ethiopia dogs. Ethiopia is having a problem with tigray which is spiraling out of control and this is a good time for Djbouti Somaliland and Somalia to lay the final blow and come together as 3 countries to take over the economy and destiny of East Africa. But instead the N&N see us as their enemies and rather usher in the new era of HOA integration by crippling Somalia and picking fights with SL and now even Djibouti.

The plan is to use the Dam for energy so Ethiopia controls HOA and the diverted water will be used to have mass farming in kilika shanaad. Kilika shanaad by then will be overtaken by Oromo and Amharic farmers. The dumb N&N are trading Somalia Sovereignty to relive the kacaan era but this time as Ethiopia dogs. Ethiopia is having a problem with tigray which is spiraling out of control and this is a good time for Djbouti Somaliland and Somalia to lay the final blow and come together as 3 countries to take over the economy and destiny of East Africa. But instead the N&N see us as their enemies and rather usher in the new era of HOA integration by crippling Somalia and picking fights with SL and now even Djibouti.

That's why those devils are moving to Jigjiga and other regions, soon you will see an idiot leader in Somalia sign a trade deal to import food from Ethiopia. That's where it's headed now.

This is old news and genale dawa III is one of 22 dam planned on the rivers that go into Somalia.

The master plan, which was finalised in 2005, has also identified six large dams together generating 1 000 MW and with combined storage capacities of 10 371 Mm3 . The plans include also water supply for increasing and urbanizing population of 15 millions. According to the Ethiopian master plans in the Genale-Dawa River Basin, 10 medium and large scale schemes with over a million hectares of potential irrigable land areas were proposed for irrigation consuming a large amount of water available in the basin [10]. The master plan, which was presented in 2007, identified 22 dam projects for potential hydropower development.

Department of Land and Water Resources Engineering
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
River Basin Management VII 139

Are the dams diverted?

If not how would this cause such an impact?

They built a multi-purpose dam & hydropower station on the Dawa River.

All of a sudden, in recent years, coinciding with the building of this dam, there are major droughts in Somalia.

The Dawa River that flows through the occupied somali region , where this region and many more have experienced a complete drought of the river for over 3 years.[6] Which once was characterised by water flowing through the river, it now has exposed hot and dry soil, with no plants growing and animals unable to be fed.[6] This has left Somalia and neighbouring countries on the brink of a humanitarian disaster.[6] When the river dries out, communities are unable to cultivate the fields, fish, use plants surrounding the river for food and most importantly access fresh water. This leaves more than half of Somalia’s population of 6.2 million people, in urgent need of food and water that was once provided by the Dawa River.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawa_River#cite_note-Source_11-6

This is old news and genale dawa III is one of 22 dam planned on the rivers that go into Somalia.

The master plan, which was finalised in 2005, has also identified six large dams together generating 1 000 MW and with combined storage capacities of 10 371 Mm3 . The plans include also water supply for increasing and urbanizing population of 15 millions. According to the Ethiopian master plans in the Genale-Dawa River Basin, 10 medium and large scale schemes with over a million hectares of potential irrigable land areas were proposed for irrigation consuming a large amount of water available in the basin [10]. The master plan, which was presented in 2007, identified 22 dam projects for potential hydropower development.

Department of Land and Water Resources Engineering
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
River Basin Management VII 139

Yeah. They have plans for irrigation and water for Ethiopia as the river beds DOWNSTREAM from Dawa ( Somalia) dry up.

Which means Ethiopia won't have water or food insecurity but sleeping Somalia, will.

Reborn

In times like this, we could all unite under our banners and make sure Somali economic development and its future isn't hindered or shaped by Ethiopia. Somalia, Djibouti, and Somalia all have a common goal which is the prosperity of our people. Maybe we all got the wrong interpretation of a Greater Somalia which was one nation but instead a custom union should've been the goal.

Trending

Latest posts