"Ethiopia lost a patriot of this age ; Mesfin Woldemariam died at 90"

Ethiopia lost a patriot of this age ; Mesfin Woldemariam died at 90

"Professor Mesfin Woldemariam, a human rights activist, a political analyst, and critique, a great intellectual and an Ethiopian patriot, passed away on Tuesday in the capital Addis Ababa."

Very sad to hear this.

"Professor Mesfin Woldemariam, a human rights activist, a political analyst, and critique, a great intellectual and an Ethiopian patriot, passed away on Tuesday in the capital Addis Ababa."

Very sad to hear this.

Did his activism include Somalis and miskeen Hararis being terrorised?

No one cares!

No one cares... with an exclamation mark.

It's just a news item. "He was a staunch critic of ethnic politics in Ethiopia and championed for politics of citizenship that gives primacy for the respect of the human right, equality, and the rule of law."

To me it sounds like he had a good cause.

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
In September of 1977 Mesfin Wolde Mariam published "Somalia: The Problem Child of Africa", near the outset of the Ogaden War (which lasted from July 1977 to March 1978). As much as I respect Mesfin Wolde Mariam, this is a problematic book. Essentially, Mesfin challenges the claims that Somalis make with regard to their right of nationhood, some of which are valid. They are given no agency in the decision making process, history rather deems that their land must Ethiopian. The book is highly politicized and presents a highly biased Ethiopian perspective. For a person who is, at least in theory, arguing for the Somali region of Ethiopia to be included in the country, he speaks very poorly of the people and their livelihoods (e.g. p. 54-55). The 'problems' of Somali, as Mesfin describes them, are all external (Italian colonialism, British colonialism, apparent British inculcating of Somali nationalism). No mention is made of how Somalis in Ethiopia have been treated in Ethiopia, their lack of inclusion in the nation (except then they when needed), that they have been neglected from the state, and during many periods of history persecuted because of their faith. Instead, Mesfin tells us that the dreams of a Greater Somali are all of colonial origin and that Somali's have no claim to the Ethiopian Somali region. With reference to this historical moment, the book may be useful for those interested in Ethio-Somali relations, and specifically the rhetoric revolving around the Ogaden War.
b2ap3_thumbnail_2.jpg
truly Amhara are scum who loves to deny peoples rights and pressing there boot on the downtrodden throats. human rights only matter to them onces the roles are reversed and they're the one receiving it.

Last edited:
He was an amhara nationalist known for hate against other nations in ethiopia esp oromo and somalis and never be impartial.

Ethiopia to lose one more dangerous snake

Som

VIP

truly Amhara are scum who loves to deny peoples rights and pressing there boot on the downtrodden throats. human rights only matter to them onces the roles are reversed and they're the one receiving it.
If I'm not mistaken this guy even claimed that somalia should be part of Ethiopia because of alleged Ethiopian sovreignty over northern somalia in ancient times. Disgusting

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent

Ok now I know what @Ridwan Abdalla.o meant I will read this book and find out.

The prof. was one of the few independent minds in Ethiopia. He spoke against almost all Ethiopian governments starting from Haile Selassie to PM Abiy Ahmed. Even though he many times openly critized PM Abiy, he also thought PM Abiy is the best of all the governments Ethiopia had in recent years. He is an Ethiopianist to the core and went even to deny the existence of Amhara ethnic group for which he is hated by Amhara nationalists.

He thinks Eritreans are Ethiopians :ftw9nwa: but at the same time spoke highly about the eritrean president for his "higher moral values" while many times condemning the TPLF leaders for being morally corrupt. In fact he once said president Isaias is the only current leader who truly displays proud Ethiopian character :ftw9nwa: unlike morally bankrupted TPLF/EPRDF leaders.

He is the founding member of Ethiopian human rights council and was jailed by TPLF. He always spoke his mind openly and critized not only the government but also the opposition and prominent opposition figures. For this reason, I suspect he doesn't have many friends. A special kind of independent mind, I would say.

I wish you guys would understand one of his last interviews. Highly interesting!

RIP!

Very sad to hear this.
Human rights activist my Ass.
There is no Amhara who has sane reasonong they are all the same.

Trending