Eritrean War of Independence

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
This war went on for 30 years.

I heard the Muslims in Eritrea were influential and pioneers in the Eritrean independence movement.

Did Somalia officially participate and on which side? Were there Somali volunteers?

The Eritreans displayed admirable courage and endurance, in the end they won their independence and ethiopia became landlocked. Horrible atrocities were commited against Eritrean civilians and an estimate of 10% of Eritreas population died.

How afwerki has ruled the country since, is a topic for another thread.

I believe I read that Ethiopia used Somali soldiers against Eritreans. Not in a big amount fortunately. How they recruited Somalis is not known:cosbyhmm:

It's known as the longest armed struggle in African history. Somalia helped train some Eritrean troops in Somalia. I think they planned Somalia to capture Addis Ababa + Ogaden but when it failed and Somalia was out of the war Eritrea had to go along the struggle alone

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Eritreans really karbashed ethiopia, have to give them that.
Why didn't europeans help them this time? if somalis ever tried to take ogaden their own land, i bet you they would be there in a heartbeat to help ethios.

The real lions keep screwing themselves and getting screwed by everyone else.

:mjkkk:

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
Why didn't europeans help them this time? if somalis ever tried to take ogaden their own land, i bet you they would be there in a heartbeat to help ethios.

The real lions keep screwing themselves and getting screwed by everyone else.

:mjkkk:

If it wasn't for the fact that barre pissed off the russians, ogaden would be a part of Somalia, most likely.

You should've just played along, communism was dying anyway not even a decennium away.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
If it wasn't for the fact that barre pissed off the russians, ogaden would be a part of Somalia, most likely.

You should've just played along, communism was dying anyway not even a decennium away.
A false belief. Barre was already good with the soviets until he found out they were playing both sides and sent troops to help the ethiopians, and sold them heavier weapons.