engineering summer placements/interships in somalia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im visiting somalia for a few months this summer and im wondering does anyone know any science/engineering based companies that i could contact for work experience?

It depends what type of engineering background you have. Somalia doesn't have any industry apart from telecommunications and money transfer. Maybe if you're doing Electrical/Electronic Engineering/software you can get an internship at Dahabshiil or TeleSom.

It depends what type of engineering background you have. Somalia doesn't have any industry apart from telecommunications and money transfer. Maybe if you're doing Electrical/Electronic Engineering/software you can get an internship at Dahabshiil or TeleSom.
isnt there any water based companies or any energy/oil infrastructure within somalia

isnt there any water based companies or any energy/oil infrastructure within somalia

What is your educational background, if you don't mind me asking?

Oil/energy sector is non-existent (if you mean extraction, refining and storage). Power/electricity is run by a few private individuals who run smalls generators that only power neighborhoods. There's no nationwide power grid.

Water, again is non-existent. Due to a severe lack of infrastructure, no proper water management exists and water is mostly distributed to a few localised areas, other places have to rely on water towers in the house which are topped up weekly (sometimes daily).

I'm speaking about Somaliland btw, I can't speak for the rest of Somalia, but I imagine its the same.

Remember, Somalia is a nation that has experienced a long and brutal civil war and no central government for almost 3 decades. Many sectors either don't exist or are in a primitive level.

What is your educational background, if you don't mind me asking?

Oil/energy sector is non-existent (if you mean extraction, refining and storage). Power/electricity is run by a few private individuals who run smalls generators that only power neighborhoods. There's no nationwide power grid.

Water, again is non-existent. Due to a severe lack of infrastructure, no proper water management exists and water is mostly distributed to a few localised areas, other places have to rely on water towers in the house which are topped up weekly (sometimes daily).

I'm speaking about Somaliland btw, I can't speak for the rest of Somalia, but I imagine its the same.

Remember, Somalia is a nation that has experienced a long and brutal civil war and no central government for almost 3 decades. Many sectors either don't exist or are in a primitive level.
I study chemical engineering, finished my 1st year, i was just hoping to find engineering expereince in somalia since ill be there for most of the summer, my dad told me that there is a water company in lascaanood, but im not sure of that.

ill be in hargeyso, for the most part.
I understand that, maybe it was wishful thinking, but in the UK, you can usually get some form of experience with a company or government/uni for a bit, but doubt as you said it would be same for somalia.

I study chemical engineering, finished my 1st year, i was just hoping to find engineering expereince in somalia since ill be there for most of the summer, my dad told me that there is a water company in lascaanood, but im not sure of that.

I understand that, maybe it was wishful thinking, but in the UK, you can usually get some form of experience with a company or government/uni for a bit, but doubt as you said it would be same for somalia.

Mashallah, that's very good. I've noticed a lot of Somalis jumping on the CE bandwagon. :icon lol:

And it's very mature for you to be thinking of your country during your studies. Chemical engineering is a very lucrative field if you can get in.

I would recommend you do both. So in your summer holidays go back home and see if there are any opportunities for experience and add that on to your CV. I would also recommend a year in industry with a major company as CE have lower job opportunities than other engineering fields so you need the extra experience on your CV.

As for opportunities in Somaliland, I can't really say for Chemical Engineering as it is a very specific field. Somaliland/Somalia has chronic water shortages, so see if you can work with some international NGO based there on solutions to water management.

Mashallah, that's very good. I've noticed a lot of Somalis jumping on the CE bandwagon. :icon lol:

And it's very mature for you to be thinking of your country during your studies. Chemical engineering is a very lucrative field if you can get in.

I would recommend you do both. So in your summer holidays go back home and see if there are any opportunities for experience and add that on to your CV. I would also recommend a year in industry with a major company as CE have lower job opportunities than other engineering fields so you need the extra experience on your CV.

As for opportunities in Somaliland, I can't really say for Chemical Engineering as it is a very specific field. Somaliland/Somalia has chronic water shortages, so see if you can work with some international NGO based there on solutions to water management.
yeah ive noticed that too its great1 are you an engineer if so which field?

yeah thats what im planning to do actually, thank you for that!

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP

Somali companies in that field do exist but finding one that provides you with the experience you need is difficult.

Foreign NGOs are easier to find.

Plenty of NGOs in that field but I'm not sure if you can find them in Lascanood.

Try looking through Twitter with the hash tags Somaliland and water.

You should find some sun burned Norwegians or Dutch folks there.

Contact them and ask them if they know of any NGO that will be working on projects around Lascanood during your trip.

Keep in mind that they don't have any interests in wasting time on freeloaders.

Somali companies in that field do exist but finding one that provides you with the experience you need is difficult.

Foreign NGOs are easier to find.

Plenty of NGOs in that field but I'm not sure if you can find them in Lascanood.

Try looking through Twitter with the hash tags Somaliland and water.

You should find some sun burned Norwegians or Dutch folks there.

Contact them and ask them if they know of any NGO that will be working on projects around Lascanood during your trip.

Keep in mind that they don't have any interests in wasting time on freeloaders.
ah thats a good idea, about the twitter thing, ill try to do that.
thank you very much!

yeah ive noticed that too its great1 are you an engineer if so which field?

yeah thats what im planning to do actually, thank you for that!

Yeah I started engineering a few years back, but had to stop due to family commitments. I'm now back to studying and hope to work in Civil/Environmental/Geotechnical.

Hargeisa has many NGOs/UN jobs, it'll probably be hard to get a placement if you don't have the connections. Try thinking of any qarabo that are working for NGOs that could help you find a job or your dads friends.

You could also try looking for any environmental eng or even civil jobs too. There's probably little in common but it's better than nothing. It looks good on resume and there's a lot of transferrable skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts