Egyptian Actress Slammed For Racist and Offensive Blackface Scene

Do you find the practice of Blackface to be offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
Egyptian actress and comedian Shimaa Seif faced huge backlash after appearing in a racist scene in the Ramadan prank program ‘Shaklabaz’, in which she appeared in full blackface to imitate a Sudanese woman irritating the people beside her by raising her voice and asking someone to give her a kiss before revealing her true identity.

The scene sparked anger among the Sudanese people, who slammed it as “bullying”, “insulting to Sudanese women” and “racist”.

“I don’t understand what is so funny about doing blackface and mimicking Sudani people, and the fact that a big Arab channel allowed this just shows how they are ignorant about this case,” one twitter user said.

The incident also led to some calling for a boycott of MBC Masr, with the hashtag “#قاطعو_MBC_مصر ” trending on Twitter.

This is not the first incident of racism in the media and films in the Arab world, as most recently in 2018, a Kuwaiti TV show, Block Ghashmarah, used “blacked-up” actors and stereotypes to portray Sudanese people.

The show received backlash and accusations of racism, and actor Hasan al-Ballam has since apologised on his Instagram account for any offence caused.

Yh. I remember the Qatari comedy skit; the comedians painted their faces dark and were portraying Sudanese people as extremely lazy with annoying high-pitched, loud voices. It was not funny at all. I mean if you are going to be racist, then be hilarious about it at least.

For some strange reason, I find white people doing blackface way more offensive than Arabs. Arabs come off ass idiots to me, trying so hard to be funny. It's still racist nonetheless.

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Yh. I remember the Qatari comedy skit; the comedians painted their faces dark and were portraying Sudanese people as extremely lazy with annoying high-pitched, loud voices. It was not funny at all. I mean if you are going to be racist, then be hilarious about it at least.

For some strange reason, I find white people doing blackface way more offensive than Arabs. Arabs come off ass idiots to me, trying so hard to be funny. It's still racist nonetheless.

Ironic because the Sudanese are a noble, hard working and down to earth people. They just overthrew a dictatorship with minimal loss in such a short space of time, whereas the Egyptians stupidly fought an entire renaissance against Hosni Mubarak for years and still ended up with Sisi :gucciwhat:

Arma

GRAND Wizard of MJ SIXIIR
VIP
Ironic because the Sudanese are a noble, hard working and down to earth people. They just overthrew a dictatorship with minimal loss in such a short space of time, whereas the Egyptians stupidly fought an entire renaissance against Hosni Mubarak for years and still ended up with Sisi :gucciwhat:

These are the same xolo that went against Mursi, a man who would have done a whole lot of good for them. And let's not forget their fulaynimo against the Yahuudis.

VixR

Veritas
Except for the exaggerated skin tone, she actually looks black in blackface unlike most white people.

Of course it’s racist, but it’s less consequential in Arab countries vs. Western countries, which have more significant black populations and an immigration policy where it’s important to appeal to outside groups and multiculturalism.

I’m glad there are Arabs who’re condemning the behavior in their entertainment.

dont get upset, its just sand arabs, sand monkeys,

the white man will still look down on them, feel sorry for them actually, waa adoomo most arabs desperate to get rid of their arab heritage at all costs most of them

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Egyptian actress and comedian Shimaa Seif faced huge backlash after appearing in a racist scene in the Ramadan prank program ‘Shaklabaz’, in which she appeared in full blackface to imitate a Sudanese woman irritating the people beside her by raising her voice and asking someone to give her a kiss before revealing her true identity.

The scene sparked anger among the Sudanese people, who slammed it as “bullying”, “insulting to Sudanese women” and “racist”.

“I don’t understand what is so funny about doing blackface and mimicking Sudani people, and the fact that a big Arab channel allowed this just shows how they are ignorant about this case,” one twitter user said.

The incident also led to some calling for a boycott of MBC Masr, with the hashtag “#قاطعو_MBC_مصر ” trending on Twitter.

This is not the first incident of racism in the media and films in the Arab world, as most recently in 2018, a Kuwaiti TV show, Block Ghashmarah, used “blacked-up” actors and stereotypes to portray Sudanese people.

The show received backlash and accusations of racism, and actor Hasan al-Ballam has since apologised on his Instagram account for any offence caused.

Why do they always go for the miskiin Sudanese people, bismillah? Why couldn't she just be a regular loud woman in a bus, maybe wearing a hijab to hide her identity? Was it really necessary to drag an entire nationality for a dumb joke - especially during the holy month of Ramadan? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending