Egypt accepts AU mediation and Ethiopia delays the filling of the dam for two weeks until AU mediated agreement is reached.

Ethiopia as a seat of AU and with a long tradition of cooperation with the AU must give AU the chance for an final agreement. Ethiopia can never reject the AU as it did the US, the Arab league or the security counsel. The AU understands the issue more than any other international organization. Btw, both countries already agreed on 99% of the issues, only very few points like how to share water on the time of drought is outstanding.

Last edited:

Invader

👾pʅɹoʍ pǝʇɐʅǝxᴉd ɐ uᴉ ƃuᴉʌᴉʅ👾
Egypt has a more superior army.

People have to get conscripted there but in Ethiopia.

The day of the Italians shall be a reminder :mjlol:

Egypt was just trying to stall the inevitable.They kicked and screamed were told by the IC and other African states to sit their ass down on the table and accept the dam

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Egypt never could do much tbh. America did the same to the colorado river and mexico had to accept less water.

Their only option was war and they obviously were bluffing the whole time.

AbdiGeedi

To keep your balance, you must keep moving.
From the looks of it the only thing that is left to agree on is the rate by which the dam will be filled.

Ethiopia wants to do it in 7 years. If I am not wrong Egypt started with 12-year proposal but eventually requested something like 21 years.

Ethiopia is a very poor country where majority of the country doesn't have access to electricity, something like 80%. The cost of the dam was barely manageable too ($4 billion or more). So, Erhiopia needs this dam to be operational at full scale as soon as possible.

The AU negotiations will probably end up with parties agreeing to 10-12 years for filling the dam.

The two week delay in filling commencement is a bad news for Turkey as it appears it is trying to synchronize its imminent take-over of Sirte and Al Jufra in Libya with the GERD escalation between Egypt and Ethiopia.

The three sides on both fronts (Ethiopia, Egypt and Turkey) are playing the game of chicken and waiting to see who is gonna blink first.

Sudan's role in the dispute is marginal as it has no power to enforce it is position. It is apparent Ethiopia considers Sudan as its bıtch and uses it to send messages to Egypt.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Egypt never could do much tbh. America did the same to the colorado river and mexico had to accept less water.

Their only option was war and they obviously were bluffing the whole time.
they were never going to war against Ethiopia sahib ever since that 6 day kharbashing israel gave them egyptians have never been the same

From the looks of it the only thing that is left to agree on is the rate by which the dam will be filled.

Ethiopia wants to do it in 7 years. If I am not wrong Egypt started with 12-year proposal but eventually requested something like 21 years.

Ethiopia is a very poor country where majority of the country doesn't have access to electricity, something like 80%. The cost of the dam was barely manageable too ($4 billion or more). So, Erhiopia needs this dam to be operational at full scale as soon as possible.

The AU negotiations will probably end up with parties agreeing to 10-12 years for filling the dam.

The two week delay in filling commencement is a bad news for Turkey as it appears it is trying to synchronize its imminent take-over of Sirte and Al Jufra in Libya with the GERD escalation between Egypt and Ethiopia.

The three sides on both fronts (Ethiopia, Egypt and Turkey) are playing the game of chicken and waiting to see who is gonna blink first.

Sudan's role in the dispute is marginal as it has no power to enforce it is position. It is apparent Ethiopia considers Sudan as its bıtch and uses it to send messages to Egypt.

Actually, Ethiopia wanted to fill the dam in 3 years and then agreed to fill it in 4 to 7 years. This is already agreed by Egypt and Sudan. The only thing left is the water flow during droughts i.e. who decides when a drought is and how can Ethiopia help Sudan and Egypt by releasing more water during drought. 10-12 years or even 20 years, that was first suggested by Egypt but is already off the table.

AbdiGeedi

@xabashi

I read that if the filling is done in 5 years, Egypt will get only 50% of its normal flow from Nile. Considering Nile accounts for about 93% of fresh water supply for Egypt, the 4-7 year filling period will be catastrophic for their agriculture and food security.

@xabashi

I read that if the filling is done in 5 years, Egypt will get only 50% of its normal flow from Nile. Considering Nile accounts for about 93% of fresh water supply for Egypt, the 4-7 year filling period will be catastrophic for their agriculture and food security.

That is all propaganda. Ethiopia fills the dam during rainy season when there is plenty of water and once the dam is filled the water flow continues to be as before. As I said Egypt already agreed to the 4-7 years period. Listen the guy in the video, he is a member of the negotiation team. The only outstanding issue is the drought period.

AbdiGeedi

That is all propaganda. Ethiopia fills the dam during rainy season when there is plenty of water and once the dam is filled the water flow continues to be as before. As I said Egypt already agreed to the 4-7 years period. Listen the guy in the video, he is a member of the negotiation team. The only outstanding issue is the drought period.
I hope you are right. I want the GERD to succeed.