EDITORIAL: "Farmaajo as Ceaușescu and his (hopefully last or final) failed coup attempt- Part I"

Wardheer News Editorial- Part I on Farmaajo's Coup Attempt.

FARMAAJO AS CEAUŞESCU AND HIS (HOPEFULLY LAST OR FINAL) FAILED COUP ATTEMPT- PART I​

While Farmaajo had already concentrated ever more power in his hands, the execution of his attempted coup on Monday was an utter failure. We may never know why and what happened, but one thing is clear: when confronted with the increasingly empowered young population, the growth of independent social media and freedom of information via the internet, as well as civic institutions in Mogadishu and across the country — all of which the dictatorship is unable to control — Farmaajo found that his whole venture was unravelling.

It was suggested that Farmaajo was unshakable. That he had captured the souls of the people and moulded their thinking especially those around him, including the PM and others. That he had cast a spell on them. But there never was a spell. There was fear, and when it evaporated the entire edifice collapsed. Fear must be central to our intuitive understanding of a dictatorship. It was central to Siyaad Barre’s fully fledged dictatorship that dominated our country in the height of the twentieth century.

Fear is always central to all dictatorships because dictators back up their rule with the threat of force and violence. In the case of Ceauşescu, the moment he faltered when challenged by demonstrators in front of the party headquarters on 21 December 1989 can be pinned down almost to the minute. For Romanians, that moment took several decades to arrive. For us, Somalis, ‘a race of fierce Republicans’1 and having learnt our lesson from our previous dictator Siyaad Barre, it took us 10 months and 20 days (after Farmaaja’s term ended) to overcome his dictatorship by the words of Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble on Monday, 27 December 2021. I’m providing a full verbatim transcription of the PM’s statement underneath.

Read the rest here;

Last edited:
I dont get it, doesn't the president have the power to appoint and select prime minister? if so, how can he do a coup on his own selection? would appreciate it if someone could explain this.

I dont get it, doesn't the president have the power to appoint and select prime minister? if so, how can he do a coup on his own selection? would appreciate it if someone could explain this.

Farmaajo didn't go through the normal process of replacing the PM because he clearly didn't have grounds or support to do so. So, instead he tried to do it through using brute force (as is expected from this habitual law breaker).

Unfortunately for him, this attempt didn't work (or it was all a charade to begin with?).

Farmaajo didn't go through the normal process of replacing the PM because he clearly didn't have grounds or support to do so. So, instead he tried to do it through using brute force (as is expected from this habitual law breaker).

Unfortunately for him, this attempt didn't work (or it was all a charade to begin with?).

In google it says "According to the Constitution of Somalia, the President of Somalia is head of state, and Prime Minister as head of government who is appointed by the President with the parliament's approval" the word coup just doesnt make sense against this kind of political system, but Thanks for the explanation.

him not following the normal process im assuming you mean he didnt go through parliament? I guess that makes sense. Im read on twitter that the parliament's term is over and cant vote on anything. And that the pm was only appointed to hold elections and failed to do so, dont you guys have laws for this kinds of situation?

Trending