Economic growth and social transformation in 19th century Somalia

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Just skimmed so far and he really knows his stuff. I'm impressed given that he's an ajanabi.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP

Love reading this guy's stuff on African history
This guy is a goldmine regarding african history, love reading his posts. Only thing I dislike about him he uses the false info made up by Cassanelli that bantu sabaki speaking groups lived in southern somalia before the slave trade which is false. This is the only mistake I have found so far.

This guy is a goldmine regarding african history, love reading his posts. Only thing I dislike about him he uses the false info made up by Cassanelli that bantu sabaki speaking groups lived in southern somalia before the slave trade which is false. This is the only mistake I have found so far.
I don't think if it was his intention to conflate the mention of Sabaki speaking peoples with the Shungwaya myth.

The Swahili languages/dialects spoken by the Bravenese and Bajuni minorities are both downstream in the Sabaki phylum. Depending on who you ask what constitutes Swahili languages/dialects is pretty broad. What we call standard Swahili spoken throughout EAC is based on the dialect spoken in Zanzibar.

For example, glottolog doesn't classify the Swahili languages of the Comoros as Sabaki, they meet up with the other 'Swahili' languages/dialects at the Mijikenda-Pokomo node (the likely ethnic progenitors of the bantu component in the first Swahilis).

Maybe he was trying to be comprehensive.

He writes interesting articles but i'd take whatever he writes with a health spoon size of salt. He is swahili biased and some of his statement comes out as either naive or uninformed.
He writes well researched interesting papers but I think he has some biases against cushitic people tbh. He dissociates Nubians from Cushitic people on the basis they speak nilo-saharan languages. He doesn't account for the fact that the earliest Nubian civilizations up to Meroitic spoke afro-asiatic. Modern nubians also cluster closely to Beja and horn africans.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
I don't think if it was his intention to conflate the mention of Sabaki speaking peoples with the Shungwaya myth.

The Swahili languages/dialects spoken by the Bravenese and Bajuni minorities are both downstream in the Sabaki phylum. Depending on who you ask what constitutes Swahili languages/dialects is pretty broad. What we call standard Swahili spoken throughout EAC is based on the dialect spoken in Zanzibar.

For example, glottolog doesn't classify the Swahili languages of the Comoros as Sabaki, they meet up with the other 'Swahili' languages/dialects at the Mijikenda-Pokomo node (the likely ethnic progenitors of the bantu component in the first Swahilis).

Maybe he was trying to be comprehensive.
It would be fair to say swahili were present in southern Somalia (bajuni) or arrived with trade (barawanis). The way he worded comes off as Southern Somalia being settled by both cushitics and bantus. This is the case today but not historically. I also have seen him say sabaki speaking groups settled in koonfuur during the 1st century. You can find this when he made an article about the Ajuraan.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
He writes well researched interesting papers but I think he has some biases against cushitic people tbh. He dissociates Nubians from Cushitic people on the basis they speak nilo-saharan languages. He doesn't account for the fact that the earliest Nubian civilizations up to Meroitic spoke afro-asiatic. Modern nubians also cluster closely to Beja and horn africans.

I wouldn’t go as far to say he has biases against cushites. The first discussion is kind of outside of my knowledge but on the 2nd tweet gives me the impression he is impartial. Tutsis are cushites who mixed and language shifted with bantus. The case of Tutsi vs Hutu is not a simple case of cushitc vs bantus. Certainly ancestral differences play a part but the conflict is more then that.

I wouldn’t go as far to say he has biases against cushites. The first discussion is kind of outside of my knowledge but on the 2nd tweet gives me the impression he is impartial. Tutsis are cushites who mixed and language shifted with bantus. The case of Tutsi vs Hutu is not a simple case of cushitc vs bantus. Certainly ancestral differences play a part but the conflict is more then that.
Yeah I wouldn't say he's biased against Cushites. He seems to be consistent with regards to west Africans. His understanding of population genetics seems to be poor in general.

he’s right on both. Tutsis are Bantu speakers and we can’t be sure on what language the kingdom of Kush spoke, so historians err on the side of caution.

he’s right on both. Tutsis are Bantu speakers and we can’t be sure on what language the kingdom of Kush spoke, so historians err on the side of caution.
He's correct that Tutsi speak a Bantu language but they range in neolithic pastoral ancestry(Cushitic) anywhere from 45% to 65% with the large remainder of their ancestry being Nilo-Saharan.

Btw most historians agree Nubians first spoke an afro-asiatic language and then language shifted to nilo-saharan languages later. There's also some compelling evidence that they could have been Cushitic speakers because some genetically tested ancient Nubians match very closely to modern Cushitic populations. 👇

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
You cannot discuss southern Somalia in the 19th century while ignoring the biggest change which was the migration of the Darod into Jubaland, the Tana valley and Wajir.

This is arguably the biggest event in Somali history, even bigger than Imam Ahmad's war on Abyssinia. Not talking about this is like not talking about the industrial revolution while discussing 19th century Britain.

Jubaland.png

You cannot discuss southern Somalia in the 19th century while ignoring the biggest change which was the migration of the Darod into Jubaland, the Tana valley and Wajir.

This is arguably the biggest event in Somali history, even bigger than Imam Ahmad's war on Abyssinia. Not talking about this is like not talking about the industrial revolution while discussing 19th century Britain.

View attachment 255020
Was it conquest ?

View attachment 255020
Lol no it's not Somalis lost way more land to oromos and afar during the collapse of adal We use to have the entire hararghe and arsi and the awash plain our tribal lineages legit changed due to this massive loss of somali agriculturalists

People don't understand how much land was lost during the collapse of the walashma Sultanate we use to have a border with amharas from shoa to wollo

View attachment 255020
Somalia were there before the boran invaded archaeologists have confirmed that Somali and proto Somalis lived from the tana river to Rift Valley before oromos

Lol no it's not Somalis lost way more land to oromos and afar during the collapse of adal We use to have the entire hararghe and arsi and the awash plain our tribal lineages legit changed due to this massive loss of somali agriculturalists
You guys had Arsi and all of hararghe?

Trending

Latest posts