Eastern oromos family tree/genealogy

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
Wait oromoโ€™s have qabil too?
:damn:
Do they fight over it too like us?
:jcoleno:

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฏ | ๐’–๐’†๐’„A๐’—๐’ƒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด
VIP
Wait oromoโ€™s have qabil too?
:damn:
Do they fight over it too like us?
:jcoleno:
Most cushites have clans. I don't think the oromo are as qabilist as us though because didn't they settle down as farmers? Fighting clan wars is what angry nomads walking around the plains alone without water do, not farming communities were people live in a society and don't grab their gun whenever someone disrespects them.

@AfranQallo Are the lowland Oromos more similar to other lowland groups than the highland Oromos are to the lowland Oromos, looking past the cultural, traditional, and language aspects? Or is there a striking homogeneity across the heterogeneous range? I ask this because I see the unfamiliar distinct Oromoness in all Oromos that is different from other groups, so the cultural presence and behavioral traits are present from a non-Oromo perspective.

Since Oromos assimilated groups, does that play into the regional differences in Oromos? Like something that peculiarly sticks out that you maybe think is of a pre-Oromo characteristic that got absorbed as an Oromo thing later?

Internet Nomad

๐‘ฎ๐’๐’๐’† ๐’‡๐’๐’“ ๐’ˆ๐’“๐’†๐’†๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’‘๐’‚๐’”๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’†๐’”
VIP
Most cushites have clans. I don't think the oromo are as qabilist as us though because didn't they settle down as farmers? Fighting clan wars is what angry nomads walking around the plains alone without water do, not farming communities were people live in a society and don't grab their gun whenever someone disrespects them.
Such a shame somalis never became farmers, so much land was lost after the fall of adal. Oromo expansion in the fertile lands of Ethiopia is a unforgivable crime

Such a shame somalis never became farmers, so much land was lost after the fall of adal. Oromo expansion in the fertile lands of Ethiopia is a unforgivable crime
Aren't there farmer groups in the south, though? I agree, though, if we picked up farming early, we could've had our very own Cushite Expansion. We could've made it down to Uganda and reestablished connections with South Cushities before Bantus got down there.
:fittytousand:

@AfranQallo Are the lowland Oromos more similar to other lowland groups than the highland Oromos are to the lowland Oromos, looking past the cultural, traditional, and language aspects? Or is there a striking homogeneity across the heterogeneous range? I ask this because I see the unfamiliar distinct Oromoness in all Oromos that is different from other groups, so the cultural presence and behavioral traits are present from a non-Oromo perspective.

Since Oromos assimilated groups, does that play into the regional differences in Oromos? Like something that peculiarly sticks out that you maybe think is of a pre-Oromo characteristic that got absorbed as an Oromo thing later?

No you got it, highland Oromos are very similar to the habesha highlands in a lot of aspects besides the Wallo Oromo. Theyโ€™re more like eastern Oromos who live up in the highlands. The Oromo population is very different almost in every region. All states have very different ways. All in all, the western and central Oromos are very similar to Amhara or habesha culture while the east differ.

The assimilation does not play too much in our society. For the most part, a lot of not majority of Oromos do not know about this history. Itโ€™s usually seen as an Amhara tactic of divide and conquer and Oromos donโ€™t by into it. Some regions may differ.

kikuyu and arabs both have clans. Donโ€™t use the word cushite in my presence again.

they were stronger so they took it. โ€œCrimeโ€ doesnโ€™t come into it.

Internet Nomad

VIP
kikuyu and arabs both have clans. Donโ€™t use the word cushite in my presence again.

Yeah after the adal-Abyssinia war we fell from grace and the oromo over took it sadly.

Internet Nomad

VIP

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฏ | ๐’–๐’†๐’„A๐’—๐’ƒ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด
VIP

So what?? This isn't about arabs or kikuyus. Nomadic societies tend to have clans and cushites are historically nomadic people which is why we have clans.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@Abba Sadacha @AfranQallo How mutually intelligible is Afaan Oromo from Bale with Afaan Oromo of Illubabor? Or Afaan Oromo spoken by the Borana?

A Somali from Djibouti and one from Garissa would have no problem having a conversation, although they have different dialects. I think the dialect differences in Oromo are greater.

Hamzza

VIP
@Abba Sadacha @AfranQallo How mutually intelligible is Afaan Oromo from Bale with Afaan Oromo of Illubabor? Or Afaan Oromo spoken by the Borana?

A Somali from Djibouti and one from Garissa would have no problem having a conversation, although they have different dialects. I think the dialect differences in Oromo are greater.
According to Herbert Lewis who specializes in Oromo studies, the Borana Oromos who live in Kenya and the Oromos in Wallega speak basically the same dialect.
98.jpg

The dialects donโ€™t differ all too much. Itโ€™s all almost identical with some words that may differ definition or completely different words and phrases etc.

Best example comparison would be American English dialects/accents. You have the southern states, north west etc.

The Wallaga dialect is not the same as Borana. Borana is the original language, closest offshoots would be the eastern dialects. Arsi/Bale would be next to Borana/Guji. Hararge is similar but we have a lot more Harari and Arabic added into our dialect. A lot of the sounds like Dh and Kha are foreign in western/central dialects while the are used mainly only in the east and kh only in Hararge and Borana. The language is understandable for the most part, but the Borana dialect is hardest to understand and learn. They donโ€™t have much outside influence so some words and phrases are not used amongst the rest of us.

Trending

Latest posts