East Hararghe zone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

VIP
When and how did it become Oromo? Especially considering it is surrounded by Somali zones in three out of four directions. Is looks geographically off.

948px-Map_of_zones_of_Ethiopia.svg.png

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Hararghe highlands used to be dominated by Somalis specifically by the Dir tribe. It was ruled by the Adal Sultanate. The reason why the Oromos were able to penetrate into that region is because Adal Sultanate was weakened after engaging wars with Abyssinia and the Portuguese. After the Oromos occupied that area, many Somali clans were assimilated.

Oromos are newcomers to that area.

GiG_E-LxSjG1ut4afC6qTA.png

In fact, Dawaro Sultanate was another Somali kingdom centred around Hararghe.

BJSgjkYuRtGNTwItN09W-w.png

Dawaro at one point were a vessel state of Adal Sultanate under Ahmed Gurey rule until he died and that was the beginning of the Oromo expansion.

I69GgnGySaqZ3ouxxIYJsw.png

Here is an interesting quote on the assimilation against the Jarso clan.

"By Somali reckoning, the founder of Dawaro Sultanate was Jārso people belonging to the Ali Madaḥweyne branch which is a sub-clan of Dir. After the Oromo migrations, the ʿAli Madaḥweyne Dir were absorbed into the Afran Qallo Barentuma confederation, and today the Jarso are reckoned as Jārsō Daggā Qāllō Barentuma Oromō."

Source: Being and Becoming Oromo: Historical and Anthropological Enquiries page. 233.

World

VIP
Can camels survive in East Hararghe? Probably not. Whereas Oromos are cattle herders.

So the Somalis stuck to the lowlands which were drier and more suitable for camel herding, whilst the Oromos conquered East Hararghe from whatever ethnicity that lived there before(wasn’t Somalis).

If East Hararghe was conquered by Oromos from Somalis then why didn’t they go all the way to the coast? Why don’t you see any Oromos in the drier lowlands?

Even Bale is divided this way. The highlands are populated by Oromo peasants who also herd cattle, whilst the drier lowlands are populated by Somali nomads who herd camels.

VIP
If East Hararghe was conquered by Oromos from Somalis then why didn’t they go all the way to the coast? Why don’t you see any Oromos in the drier lowlands?

They did make it all the way to the coasts according to our folklore but were karbaashed soon after. Gallas claim to have inhabited all of northern Somalia at one point. Is hargeysa not a qoti name?

They did make it all the way to the coasts according to our folklore but were karbaashed soon after. Gallas claim to have inhabited all of northern Somalia at one point. Is hargeysa not a qoti name?
So they founded Hargeisa? How long were they in the coastal areas. Growing up I heard galkacyo was named from where they were removed but some say it's about camels.

VIP
So they founded Hargeisa? How long were they in the coastal areas. Growing up I heard galkacyo was named from where they were removed but some say it's about camels.

I dunno, just heard the name is oromo in origin. They do claim native status tho

Apparently they had captured saylac to berbera shortly after the fall of awdal sometime in the 1550s

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Can camels survive in East Hararghe? Probably not. Whereas Oromos are cattle herders.

So the Somalis stuck to the lowlands which were drier and more suitable for camel herding, whilst the Oromos conquered East Hararghe from whatever ethnicity that lived there before(wasn’t Somalis).

Even Bale is divided this way. The highlands are populated by Oromo peasants who also herd cattle, whilst the drier lowlands are populated by Somali nomads who herd camels.

It is a well known fact prior to the Oromo expansion in that region. Somalis were the main inhabitants of Hararghe highlands. It is not disputed by any major scholar. It was mainly dominated by Dir but you also had Jidwaaq and Karanle living in the area too.

To answer your question about herding specific livestock animals. Did you know most of the Dir clan members are cattle herders? For example, two major Dir tribes like the Issa traditionally live as nomadic cattle and sheep breeders. In terms of subsistence, the Gadabursi are mainly sedentary agro-pastoralists, supplementing their cattle herding with cereal cultivation.

Even other Dir clans who were affected by the Oromo expansion and assimilation like the Gurgura, Jarso, Akisho and Bursuk are all traditionally cattle herders. Why do you think you have many flip-flopping clans in east Hararghe claiming Somali origins or sometimes fully switching their identity to Somali?

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

Number 1 fact. Oromos never lived anywhere in Somalia prior to the Somalis.

SNdw8NjnR86YA3Q5BO4-kw.png

Lmao Oromos claim everything but that doesn't mean it's true.

Do you know what Hargeisa even means? Hargeisa means in Somali “the place where hide is sold”.

Hargeisa's routes lies in the hide/skins trade, as well as a watering/caravan stop between the coast and the interior. However, by the late 19th century it became a growing (albeit small) settlement with Qamadi cultivation. Various goods could also be bought during the trading season as seen from the contemporary account.

Hargeisa etymology.

koOnzLS.png

As for Oromos reaching Zeila after the collapse of Adal Sultanate is true. However, they got drove back to the highlands under the Somali commander's name known as Ali Kalageeyah. His other initial goal was to capture Harar but he realized he didn't have enough manpower to capture the highlands so his main goal was to make sure Oromos don't have any kind of lowland settlements because he knew it would pose a threat to Somali coastal areas or else they would've raided our ports and damaged the Somali trade network system. We have to thank our noble ancestors who thought wisely for the future of Somalis.

Hargeyssa just mean aloe vera in Oromo. Do you have a lot of Aloe vera plants in that region?

The only Oromo clan I know of that made it to SL region are the Akichu. This clan today is disputed between the 2 nations of having either Oromo or Somali Origin.

I don’t have any answers as to when Oromos first settled in east Hararge Apollo. I just know we’ve been there for generations.

Hargeyssa just mean aloe vera in Oromo. Do you have a lot of Aloe vera plants in that region?

The only Oromo clan I know of that made it to SL region are the Akichu. This clan today is disputed between the 2 nations of having either Oromo or Somali Origin.

I don’t have any answers as to when Oromos first settled in east Hararge Apollo. I just know we’ve been there for generations.

Akisho are Dir. They live considerably in the Oromo Region which is why they may share cultural identities and language.

These are Akisho:

Apollo

VIP

East Hararghe Oromos apparently have the lowest Omotic autosomal affinity out of all Oromos (seen samples from there), which is a trait characteristic of Somalis and Afars. This is only in reference to those who have lived there for a long time and not Oromo migrants from elsewhere in Oromia who recently settled there.

From what I gather, Oromos originally came from the Borena, Guji, and South Bale area on that map and conquered the rest in the past 2,000-500 years. The ethnicity of Welega & Shewa Oromos was Agaw. The ethnicity of native East Hararghe Oromos may have been Somali.

East Hararghe Oromos apparently have the lowest Omotic autosomal affinity out of all Oromos (seen samples from there), which is a trait characteristic of Somalis and Afars. This is only in reference to those who have lived there for a long time and not Oromo migrants from elsewhere of Oromia who recently settled there.

From what I gather, Oromos originally came from the Borena, Guji, and South Bale area on that map and conquered the rest in the past 2,000-500 years. The ethnicity of Welega Oromos was Agaw, the ethnicity of native East Hararghe Oromos may have been Somali.

Thats because they are all really Somali. Afran Qallo clan is as Somali as me and you.

Akisho are Dir. They live considerably in the Oromo Region which is why they may share cultural identities and language.

These are Akisho:

Akichu are Oborra AQ amongst Oromo. We both can claim. It’s up to them as to who they want to side with. Below artist is an Akichu brother. This dance is called Dhichisa, usually done before and after war by AQ Oromos.

East Hararghe Oromos apparently have the lowest Omotic autosomal affinity out of all Oromos (seen samples from there), which is a trait characteristic of Somalis and Afars. This is only in reference to those who have lived there for a long time and not Oromo migrants from elsewhere in Oromia who recently settled there.

You really won’t see any Oromos from other regions in east Hararge. Most Oromos migrate to 2 locations for work, Adama(Nazreth) and Finfinne.

Yeah we don’t mix with others at all. The only people we mix with are the Somalis who live in this region as well.

Akichu are Oborra AQ amongst Oromo. We both can claim. It’s up to them as to who they want to side with. Below artist is an Akichu brother. This dance is called Dhichisa, usually done before and after war by AQ Oromos.

Are there any other Somali clans that are Oromo today that you know of? Are Akisho the only Dir or are there others? You mentioned once about some singers who actually belong to major Somali clans but are Oromo? Is this very common?

Status
Not open for further replies.