Doraleh Port

I have been seeing many threads about different ports on here but I want to know about Doraleh port in Djibouti. This port seems to be the most strategic one and logic would dictate that it would be immensely profitable. Why isn't it as important and influential as it could be? How do Berbera port and all these other ports plan to compete against it?

Mozart

You need people like me
Because the Somalis are stupid. Ethiopia has access to 4/5 Somali ports and the competition will drive the fees down for them, same with the gulf countries who purchase Ethiopian produce.

The intelligent thing to do would have been to only build 2 ports and then focus on infrastructure in and around them, where everyone makes more money together.

Ethiopia and the gulf had major problems and Somali’s gave them a solution without being compensated how they should have been.

Mozart

You need people like me
@Mozart which two ports do you think should be the only ones exporting to Ethiopia?
Berbera and somewhere in central Somalia should have been the 2 main ports.

Ethiopia is landlocked and has always needed port access. During the Arab spring the gulf nations were charged inflated prices for their commodities which hurt them.

If Somali’s were United, they should have given them strategic port access, on our terms. Somaliland has given Ethiopia 20% ownership which means fee income as well. The UAE should have had to commit to infrastructure projects such as roads/trains possibly in return for a majority steak. Puntland is silly for the deal they signed as well because the UAE was never going to build Bosaaso, it only wants cheap access with minimal competition.

Berbera and somewhere in central Somalia should have been the 2 main ports.

Ethiopia is landlocked and has always needed port access. During the Arab spring the gulf nations were charged inflated prices for their commodities which hurt them.

If Somali’s were United, they should have given them strategic port access, on our terms. Somaliland has given Ethiopia 20% ownership which means fee income as well. The UAE should have had to commit to infrastructure projects such as roads/trains possibly in return for a majority steak. Puntland is silly for the deal they signed as well because the UAE was never going to build Bosaaso, it only wants cheap access with minimal competition.
:snoop::mindblown: Wallahi we're so stupid its unbelievable. The Somali govt should only permit certain ports to service Ethiopia whilst the others should be used for domestic purposes. Laakin the Berbera one is a supreme f*ck up. I get giving the UAE a large stake but they should've gotten more out of the deal. What doesn't make sense is giving Ethiopia a piece of the pie. Somalis should've worked together to keep the Ethiopians under tight control. The Hargeisa admin could've actually gotten so much out of the deal. Lets hope the Somali parliament limits who can give access to the Ethiopians

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
:snoop::mindblown: Wallahi we're so stupid its unbelievable. The Somali govt should only permit certain ports to service Ethiopia whilst the others should be used for domestic purposes. Laakin the Berbera one is a supreme f*ck up. I get giving the UAE a large stake but they should've gotten more out of the deal. What doesn't make sense is giving Ethiopia a piece of the pie. Somalis should've worked together to keep the Ethiopians under tight control. The Hargeisa admin could've actually gotten so much out of the deal. Lets hope the Somali parliament limits who can give access to the Ethiopians

Somaliland is making upto $2bn in expected growth

the contract is only worth 440mn

this reeks of desperation as the turks managed Xamar port for 50% for 7 years now

Somaliland is making upto $2bn in expected growth

the contract is only worth 440mn

this reeks of desperation as the turks managed Xamar port for 50% for 7 years now

You're an actual dumbass. I'm not angry about the port any development for Somalis regardless of where they're are based is a good thing. I'm simply questioning why Ethiopia was given a stake in the port when it could be used as leverage against them. A country which has a violent history towards all Somalis shouldn't be given port access so easily.

A conversation can be had about whether Ethiopia should be involved in Berbera but this matter does not concern Somalia at all.

A conversation can be had about whether Ethiopia should be involved in Berbera but this matter does not concern Somalia at all.

giphy.gif

Trending

Latest posts