Dominant Minorities

@Tambien

Some lesser known ones:

Finland Swedes in Finland.
Lebanese in West Africa.
Circassians and Armenians in Arab countries.
Alawites in Syria.
Portuguese in Angola and Mozambique.
Parsis in India.
Ethnic Germans in Hungary, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, and Kazakhstan.
People with the last name Junker in German countries.
Ottoman Turk descendants in the Maghreb called Kouloughlis.
Copts in Egypt (while they are not politically relevant, they have better socio-economics than Muslim Egyptians).
Christian Levantine Arabs in Latin America.

....this one nobody knows about: stateless Indians in Madagscar called Karanas:

Stateless yet economically dominant.

I'll add one more
Native Emiratis in UAE :pachah1:

OGs in Somalia

1 Fc Cologne Shrug GIF by 1. FC Köln
Langaab is you sheegato.

Aren't they Niloticized Cushitics, I think I've heard that. I remember hearing they descend from some old kingdom that was established before or during the bantu expansion, so they
Related tribes of Bantu-speakers. Nilotic influence genetically, yes. Even the president is a Hima.

Discrimination against an ethnocentric & organized minority often leads to them becoming more successful.

Antisemitism lead to success in European Jews. If Euros accepted them, Ashkenazis wouldn't push themselves into Finance and Academia.

Similar thing is going on with Christian Arabs in Egypt and the Levant.
I forgot that in Islam Christians and Jews are people of the book, aka they can't get heavily discriminated against, they're afforded some level of protection that pagans do not get. Christian Arabs/Jews also made a tremendous amount of money from the Arab slave trade since Muslims were not permitted to castrate male slaves. Jews had their thing with usury. You're right that discrimination will lead to positive in group bias though, but if Islam didn't afford them protections Christian Arabs would probably be poorer.

Do you know why Armenians and Georgians had a high literacy rate, or why they became dominant?
It was the Armenians who had high literacy rate, not Georgians. Unlike Balkan Christians and Anatolian Greek Christians, Armenians were exempt from being conscripted into the Ottoman army. They became the most educated ethnic group in the empire (besides Jews lol, who were also exempt). They became bankers, merchants, small business owners, etc. Also Greeks, Turks and Armenians lived in their own kind of parallel societies with their own institutions called millets. Each millet had their own set of courts, schools, houses of worship. Armenians, Jews and to a lesser extent Greeks (Rum), took education more seriously than Muslims.

As for Georgians, they had the reputations of mobsters, the soviet equivalent of early to mid 20th century Italian Americans. Stalin was a bank robber early in his life. After Stalin's rise to head honcho, he put on his ethnic group. Their black market activities gave them a leg up over Russkiye and other Soviets who more earnestly engaged in collectivised production and lived off rations.

Apollo

VIP
Hadhrami Arabs (Yemen origin) in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia.

Indians in Fiji (a mostly Melanesian island).

Most of the Hadhrami Arabs in Southeast Asia are mixed race and look more Malay than Arab, but still they have Arab blood and culture.

One last emerging dominant minority nobody seems to have brought up is the Chinese in Africa. There has been a boom in mixed Chinese kids but many of the current gen are borne to very poor single mothers so I question how powerful a caste they will be.

Do you think the established Indians in Africa will allow these Chinese to usurp them without a fight.

Trending

Latest posts