Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saalax Bidaar

Truthfulness so often goes with ruthlessness
I believe in jizm(the physical being or body) and naf which is the immaterial part that makes us who we are

The body is simply a vessel. The “real” you is the psyche

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
I think; therefore I am”- René Descartes
...people keep misunderstanding.

DISCLAIMER:

My question is not about the claim that we do or do not exist. But rather, that a constant personality we use to identify ourselves either exists or doesn't exist. Do you believe that the personality that identifies you is constant, or non-existent due to the fact that it's constantly changing?

...people keep misunderstanding.

DISCLAIMER:

My question is not about the claim that we do or do not exist. But rather, that a constant personality we use to identify ourselves either exists or doesn't exist. Do you believe that the personality that identifies you is constant, or non-existent due to the fact that it's constantly changing?
tbh i have no Idea. But do identical twins have the same personality?

wa ciyaadu billah. Philosophy is from shaytan. No muslim or sane person for that matter should engage in it.

Silver

During the so called “Islam’s Golden Age”, Muslim philosophers were at the forefront of philosophical discourse in Europe. Have you heard about Muslim philosophers like Al-Farabi, Avicenna and Averroes? Thanks to salafis, everything is haram today.

@YourBroMoe

Look Sxb, imagine that you are very old and your brain is ravaged by dementia and Alzheimer’s and you could no longer recognise yourself and your loved ones, all your personality traits have abandoned you, will you cease being a self? How is a “constant personality” be applicable to such a scenario? Does it still exist?

Last edited:
Silver

During the so called “Islam’s Golden Age”, Muslim philosophers were at the forefront of philosophical discourse in Europe. Have you heard about Muslim philosophers like Al-Farabi, Avicenna and Averroes? Thanks to salafis, everything is haram today.

@YourBroMoe

Look Sxb, imagine that you are very old and your brain is ravaged by dementia and Alzheimer’s and you could no longer recognise yourself and your loved ones, all your personality traits have abandoned you, will you cease being a self? How is a “constant personality” be applicable to such a scenario? Does it still exist?
Philosphy is a tool of satan to make people lose their religion and their minds. Although I'm personally biased against it because I've had bouts of depersonalization before and I hate it. So it makes me feel more prone to losing my mind than the average person

VixR

Veritas
Most of philosophy has been ''outsourced'' to new disciplines like neuroscience.

Only ethics and political philosophy remains relevant today.
Neuroscience isn’t a subdiscipline of philosophy, they’re two completely different and totally unrelated fields, unless by neuroscience you really mean neurophilosophy.

Apollo

VIP
Neuroscience isn’t a subdiscipline of philosophy, they’re two completely different and totally unrelated fields, unless by neuroscience you really mean neurophilosophy.

You know what I meant..

Basically what philosophy used to think about is often no longer considered to be within the realm of philosophy.

Apollo

VIP

I too can play the semantics game: everything is a subdiscipline of philosophy. It means love of wisdom.

VixR

Veritas
Compare philosophy over time, whatever they were debating about has been outclassed by new disciplines.
Do you have an example of this? Concrete science, though favorable, is still very limited in what it provide evidence for. That’s where philosophy comes in. It can never die, because our biggest questions remain unanswered, and there’s no reason to believe we’re capable of answering them.
I too can play the semantics game: everything is a subdiscipline of philosophy. It means love of wisdom.
Hence the reason I brought up neurophilosophy. It isn’t semantics. Neurophilosophy is a subdiscipline of philosophy, neuroscience isn’t.

Apollo

VIP
Do you have an example of this? Concrete science, though favorable, is still very limited in what it provide evidence for. That’s where philosophy comes in. It can never die, because our biggest questions remain unanswered, and there’s no reason to believe we’re capable of answering them.
Hence the reason I brought up neurophilosophy. It isn’t semantics. Neurophilosophy is a subdiscipline of philosophy, neuroscience isn’t.

To be honest I only find ethics and political philosophy interesting. The other types of philosophy are too wishy-washy for my taste (metaphysics, aesthetics, and yes even logic).

And this guy is my favourite:

410px-Niccolo_Machiavelli_uffizi.jpg

VixR

Veritas
To be honest I only find ethics and political philosophy interesting. The other types of philosophy are too wishy-washy for my taste (metaphysics, aesthetics, and yes even logic).
That’s understandable. They’re more concrete. But I think I can say I enjoy all of it.

I just felt like I had to correct you when you said that (you’re smarter than that). Don’t trigger me like that again :icon lol:

If anything, I think as technology evolves, philosophy will grow more relevant, where before/now it was completely organic, it’ll also move towards catering to the synthetic as well, just like everything else (religion, science, etc).

Why Machiavelli?

Apollo

VIP
That’s understandable. They’re more concrete. But I think I can say I enjoy all of it.

I just felt like I had to correct you when you said that (you’re smarter than that). Don’t trigger me like that again :icon lol:

If anything, I think as technology evolves, philosophy will grow more relevant, where before/now it was completely organic, it’ll also move towards catering to the synthetic, just like everything else (religion, science, etc).

Did you take courses in anything philosophy related or do you just read those types of books on the side? I only read it on the side.

Yeah, philosophy will become more important as whoever codes our AI overlords will have to put in some philosophy based parameters (e.g. The West & Google vs China & Baidu).

VixR

Veritas
Did you take courses in anything philosophy related or do you just read those types of books on the side? I only read it on the side.

Yeah, philosophy will become more important as whoever codes our AI overlords will have to put in some philosophy based parameters (e.g. The West & Google vs China & Baidu).
I’ve never taken a philosophy course. But I want to. I read it on the side.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
Philosphy is a tool of satan to make people lose their religion and their minds. Although I'm personally biased against it because I've had bouts of depersonalization before and I hate it. So it makes me feel more prone to losing my mind than the average person
Then why the f*ck are you in the thread fam? :bell:

Status
Not open for further replies.