Does the name of the Adal Sultanate have any relation to the Awdal region?

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
It's truly sad that somalis don't write their own history but alhamdulillah other people wrote
about the somalis instead so we have something to go on from. If you're looking for a historical source here is something right around the time of walashama establishing their kingdom at the tail end of the 13th century an arab writer by the name of Shams al-Din
al-Ansari al-Dimashqi wrote the following

جبل خافونى بأرض الهاوية وسميت الهاوية تشبيها بجهنم في حرها ونارها ثم بأرض بربرا وبعض بلاد دمدم
( والحبش السفلى ثم بأرض جبرة ثم بأرض باضع ( ثم بساحل زنجبار وأرض الزيلع ثم بأرض أوتل

meaning

mountain of hafun in the land of hawiya and it's called hawiya because it's like jahanam in it's heat and fire (hawiya is one of the names of jahanam) then at the land of berbera and some of the land of damdam and then lower habasha then the land of jabart then badhe' and then the coast of zanzibar and the land of zeila and the land of awdal.

In this text it's writen أرض أوتل meaning the land of awdal.

How do modern day arab understand this. Here is a text from the 90s explaining it.

وأرض أوتل . ويقصـد بـأرض جبرة بلاد مملكة أوفات ، كما أن اسـم " أوتـل " تحريف اسم عدل أو أودل الصومالي

meaning
and the land of awdal, and they mean when they say land of jabart the land of the kingdom of awfat, and the name adal is corrupted form of awdal Al-Somaliya.

Al-Dimashqi is also the first to write xamar.

مقدشو الحمراء

meaning

the red mogadishu or mogadishu al hamra'
Actually they did write, but most of it was records of genealogy

Garaad diinle

 
Wasn't the Adal and Ifat ruled by the same dynasty the walshamas which was descended from Yusuf alkynewn who was a dir
I was once asked what i know about the ancient walashama, ancient ajuran, the ancient harla
and the ancient gurgura. The thing is the ajuran are still alive and well so is the gurgura and
the harla you can go to their deegan and ask them about their history if you want but what about the walashama. Well for that we must have a quick look at their history. The history of the walashama is often times divided into adal or awdal and the ifat, yifat or awfat. The adals are walashama descended from Sa'd adin. When awfat or ifat was conquered by habashis Sa'd din escaped and fought them until the end. His children run away and then came back and created the adal kingdom that lasted until the 16th century.

In 1896 the habashis fought the Battle of Adwa they had many nations fighting under them such as amhara oromo and walashama. Wait you may say the last of the walashama lived in harar in the 16th century so who are these walashama that fought along side the habashi.
Adal was ruled by the branch of Sa'd adin the other branch in yifat survived and even took part in futuh al habasha. After the oromo invasion they were isolated from the muslim. It was a blessing in disguise since their isolation provided them protection from habashes. They survived and even took part in Battle of Adwa. They presided over the argoba as kings but they were found in many other places such as their home land yifat or awfat and other places
in the shewa plateau. In war world ii they were deprived from their royal statues by the colonial powers and today they are intermixd with and found among the argoba. Their are still books from the 80s and the 90s describing them as separate from the argoba.

Is there other walashamas alive today. Well we will have to look at their territory. They ruled the awdal region, shinile or sitti and hararghe or geyiga harar. Many people live their but the largest tribe is issa clan. The issa who is called madobe dir call them selfs instead decended from sheikh issa. Sheikh issa is decended from Yusuf barkhadle through his six grandson Muhammed omar dunya hus. Wait dunya hus isn't he the founder of the walashama? yes sheikh issa is a branch of the walashama and after the collapse of the Sa'd adin dynasty and the oromo invastion the issa branch gatherd in shiniile and created a new dynasty wardiq dynasty. They resisted the oromo invasion and united shiniile or sitti and the awdal region.

Sheikh Issa geneology is shiekh issa ibnu Muhammed ibnu Omar dunya hus ibnu Ahmad ibnu Muhammed ibnu Hamed ibnu Muhammed ibnu Sheikh Yusuf barkadle ibnu Muhammed ibnu Abdullah ibnu Sa'd ali ibnu Ismail ibnu Yahya

Last edited:

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
I was once asked what i know about the ancient walashama, ancient ajuran, the ancient harla
and the ancient gurgura. The thing is the ajuran are still alive and well so is the gurgura and
the harla you can go to their deegan and ask them about their history if you want but what about the walashama. Well for that we must have a quick look at their history. The history of the walashama is often times divided into adal or awdal and the ifat, yifat or awfat. The adals are walashama descended from Sa'd adin. When awfat or ifat was conquered by habashis Sa'd din escaped and fought them until the end. His children run away and then came back and created the adal kingdom that lasted until the 16th century.

In 1896 the habashis fought the Battle of Adwa they had many nations fighting under them such as amhara oromo and walashama. Wait you may say the last of the walashama lived in harar in the 16th century so who are these walashama that fought along side the habashi.
Adal was ruled by the branch of Sa'd adin the other branch in yifat survived and even took part in futuh al habasha. After the oromo invasion they were isolated from the muslim. It was a blessing in disguise since their isolation provided them protection from habashes. They survived and even took part in Battle of Adwa. They presided over the argoba as kings but they were found in many other places such as their home land yifat or awfat and other places
in the shewa plateau. In war world ii they were deprived from their royal statues by the colonial powers and today they are intermixd with and found among the argoba. Their are still books from the 80s and the 90s describing them as separate from the argoba.

Is there other walashamas alive today. Well we will have to look at their territory. They ruled the awdal region, shinile or sitti and hararghe or geyiga harar. Many people live their but the largest tribe is issa clan. The issa who is called madobe dir call them selfs instead decended from sheikh issa. Sheikh issa is decended from Yusuf barkhadle through his six grandson Muhammed omar dunya hus. Wait dunya hus isn't he the founder of the walashama? yes sheikh issa is a branch of the walashama and after the collapse of the Sa'd adin dynasty and the oromo invastion the issa branch gatherd in shiniile and created a new dynasty wardiq dynasty. They resisted the oromo invasion and united shiniile or sitti and the awdal region.

Sheikh Issa geneology is shiekh issa ibnu Muhammed ibnu Omar dunya hus ibnu Ahmad ibnu Muhammed ibnu Hamed ibnu Muhammed ibnu Sheikh Yusuf barkadle ibnu Muhammed ibnu Abdullah ibnu Sa'd ali ibnu Ismail ibnu Yahya
Fun fact: Walshama in argobba means king if you didnt know

Hamzza

VIP
The father of history who was and still being debunked and classified as an reliable person

I can’t believe you are taking him as a reliable source :reallymaury:
You can't Judge Historian who lived in the 5th century BC to the standard of today's advanced Academia. Still, Herodotus was ahead of his time.

Anyway, you said "don't listen to him" like you have superior ideas/theories then proceeded to say "Adal comes from Awdal".
In your nationalism-plagued mind, anyone who presents ideas contrary to certain Wikipedia lies, shouldn't be listened to.

Garaad diinle

 
Fun fact: Walshama in argobba means king if you didnt know
Yeah i know it's something that devoloped later. Walashama mean in reality wali asma'.
Omar dunyahus is said to have come to eastern shewa married from a royal family and got to rule a province called asma' or asma'ghe. He later toppeled and destroyed the shewa dynasty supdued the other kingdoms and became the ruler. His family inherited the wali asma' title and later became walashma. It's all writing in baalwai book from 16th century. He is a contonparary of the imam and nur ibn mujahid. There is theories that argoba were actually pagan when Omar dunyahus became sultan in early 14th century end of the 13th century. In fatah madinat harar they are demonized and are called traitors by muslims from harar.

Last edited:
We know the etymology of the Ajuraan, Geledi, and Hobyo sultanates because their names either relate to a region/city or a somali qabil. That's why I believe the Adal sultanate probably got its name from the Awdal region, and it makes sense because its original Capital was Saylac, and it expanded from this region.

I don't have concrete evidence of this but it seems very plausible when you think about it. Awdal sultanate also sounds more pleasing the ear when said.
It's the opposite Awdal got its name from Adal as it's a newly created region in 1982 split from the old region Waqooyi Galbeed by the previous regime state of Somali Democratic Republic.

alien

📍outer space
VIP
Adal was already part of the greater Yifat Sultanate which was based in the Shewan highlands of Ethiopia, both Ethiopian and Arabic sources mention Adal as being the Eastern province of Yifat.

Let's remember the principle enunciated by Herodotus:

that is for Ancient and Medieval geographers a country took its name from its inhabitants, not the other way around.

So my theory is that Adal took its name from the Afar clan 'Adali'.
ifat and adal sultanates are somali :drakewtf:

Garaad diinle

 
I swear when you go the extra mile workout a sweat providing both source and evidence people still ask you to prove it. Thing is there is no source they would provid you with so that you may change your mind and opning rather be satisfied by their own unsubstantiated claims. If there is really a fine line between truth seekers and a trolls i think i've seen it now.

Sky

hahey
I swear when you go the extra mile workout a sweat providing both source and evidence people still ask you to prove it. Thing is there is no source they would provid you with so that you may change your mind and opning rather be satisfied by their own unsubstantiated claims. If there is really a fine line between truth seekers and a trolls i think i've seen it now.
You purposefully provided Walashama links to your clan of course not everyone would believe it
:dead1:

Why are u giving Adal sultanate to the afars it was a somali sultanate ruled by Samaroon of Awdal
Lmao Samaroon? They didn't even control Zelia fully until the 90's after expelling Ciiss from the port city. Imagine ruling a Sultanate when you aren't even controlling it's capital :deadrose:

Sky

hahey
Lmao Samaroon? They didn't even control Zelia fully until the 90's after expelling Ciiss from the port city. Imagine ruling a Sultanate when you aren't even controlling it's capital :deadrose:
It's sad seeing niggas push this narrative. They always put it off as being other Dirs when isaaqs controlled the majority of those areas.

And somehow the closest place to Hararis seems to be dominated and inhabited by a certain clan. The trading routes were also controlled by a certain clan.

:hmm:

FciAPCyXwAALrt-.jpg

It's sad seeing niggas push this narrative. They always put it off as being other Dirs when isaaqs controlled the majority of those areas.

And somehow the closest place to Hararis seems to be dominated and inhabited by a certain clan. The trading routes were also controlled by a certain clan.

:hmm:

View attachment 243640
I heard Zelia has a Garxajis ruler in the 19th century but it was still an Ciise town even back then. I'm not gonna deny Isaaq dominating the trade routes especially Habar Awal cause that's just facts :ohno:

Sky

hahey
I heard Zelia has a Garxajis ruler in the 19th century but it was still an Ciise town even back then. I'm not gonna deny Isaaq dominating the trade routes especially Habar Awal cause that's just facts :ohno:
I remember you from twitter. Your tweets filled me with hope for future zubeeyrs

:friendhug:

Garaad diinle

 
You purposefully provided Walashama links to your clan of course not everyone would believe it
:dead1:
Wait if i understand you correctly you're assuming i'm issa right. I mean what other clan did i meantion other than them.

If so Habibi wallahi i'm not Issa kkkkkkkkk chill. I guess if someone praises a certian clan he must be the clan in question what is this cuqda. If you think i'm biased and untrustworthy how about you enlighten me and show me da wae brudda. Every somali clan is great and i'm gonna try to share their achievements.

I guess you want me to praise dankils habashi and other non somalis. If so nothing i can do for you.

Sky

hahey
Wait if i understand you correctly you're assuming i'm issa right. I mean what other clan did i meantion other than them.

If so Habibi wallahi i'm not Issa kkkkkkkkk chill. I guess if someone praises a certian clan he must be the clan in question what is this cuqda. If you think i'm biased and untrustworthy how about you enlighten me and show me da wae brudda. Every somali clan is great and i'm gonna try to share their achievements.

I guess you want me to praise dankils habashi and other non somalis. If so nothing i can do for you.
Nah bro I understand that ciise had a place in those sultanates but you purposefully left out the only clan with links to Hararis.

Garaad diinle

 
Nah bro I understand that ciise had a place in those sultanates but you purposefully left out the only clan with links to Hararis.

Well walal i'm not perfect in any way and i'm sure i didn't include everything that needs to be included. There is still much left to be told maybe someone from this forum will fill in the gaps. Issa were not the only inhabitant in the territory, there were many more other somalis with their own stories to tell.
Yes zayla was ruled by an eccentric and an ambitious person dubed the richest trader on the coast of ajam meaning the foreign coast meaning the opposite coast of aden. His name is Haji Sharmarke and he wanted to revive the adal kingdom. His story is truly fascinating and one wich needs to be told and celebrated.

Hamzza

VIP
To them it was either Samaroon, Ciise, or darood.
The permanent inhabitants of the town were the mixed Reer Awtal/Zeyla, some Samaroon, Ciise and Isaaq Somalis lived in the town but they were mostly temporary inhabitants who came their for trade.

Trending