Does somalia need programmers and computer engineers and biomedical engineers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
are there any opportunities to work in Somalia as a programmer?

I know there Are Somalis in diaspora studying in these field

I’m pretty sure we have some on here that are either studying or are actually working there.

If you are studying in these fields do you plan on going back to somalia with your degree.

If so what do you plan on doing with that degree there?

Also I recently remember a convo I had with a kid I met from Hargeisa last spring. He was a biomedical major and he was taking the same gen Chem course as I was. He was cool. He was planning on going back to Hargeisa with his degree. I run into him everyonce in awhile at school I probably won’t anymore cause I’m transferring to a uni this fall.

The stem field especially the computer science field is popping. You can make a lot of money here in the US. We got mini Silicon Valley’s starting to pop up in different states.

@Factz @Karim @shabellegal @Knowles @WarsameXamse @Coulombs law @YourBroMoe

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー

I’m pretty sure we have some on here that are either studying or are actually working there.

If you are studying in these fields do you plan on going back to somalia with your degree.

Also I recently remember a convo I had with a kid I met from Hargeisa last spring. He was a biomedical major and he was taking the same gen Chem course as I was. He was cool. He was planning on going back to Hargeisa with his degree. I run into him everyonce in awhile at school I probably won’t anymore cause I’m transferring to a uni this fall.

The stem field especially the computer science field is popping. You can make a lot of money here in the US. We got mini Silicon Valley’s starting to pop up in different states.

I'm sure there will be. But for now, Somalia needs the basics. Good construction, advanced agricultural technology, good trading routes, an efficient and effective healthcare system, a national army that's strong enough to combat national threats, etc. Somalia should encourage programmers, but I personally don't consider them priorities.

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Somalia needs peace and stability and basic government services before anything else. There are thousands of young IT graduates in Somalia suffering from lack of employability which is endemic to their ambitions. Absence of proper governance is the main obstacle to their growth.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I'm sure there will be. But for now, Somalia needs the basics. Good construction, advanced agricultural technology, good trading routes, an efficient and effective healthcare system, a national army that's strong enough to combat national threats, etc. Somalia should encourage programmers, but I personally don't consider them priorities.

You forgot the biggest key which is education keeping every generation educated. I hope all Somali kids are in schools and that education sector should be free.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

That's actually my Industry, not so much programming so to speak but computing. I like algorithm in programming and hardware to software programming. Not so much object orientated programming but who knows may change in the future. Depends on what side of IT your in if you will enjoy it or not not so much the field. Your either a manager, designer, engineer, or support, it doesn't matter what field of IT you specialize in, you will fall into either category in the technical space but there is a business space also like project managers, business analyst, etc so you can switch through to business space and technical space and then there is architecture position which governs it all below technical and business but they report to the CIO or his right hand man. Designer is fun regardless what IT field you go into. Engineer I haven't tried yet, but Support gets stale after a while, it's very repetitive.

IT isn't heading anywhere bro, it's the future plus the main reason I chose it was 1. money. 2. Growth direction it was heading. 3. They told me technology makes life easier(naturally lazy) so I thought cool u will meet and socialize with lazy people talking about how to make life easier. I was a naive kid though at the time, I learned it's not the case at all and IT is no different to your standard office job with the same old problems of office work. I nearly started to hate IT and wondered if it was for me anymore but it's not the IT that is bad, it's the culture has gone away from what it was really intended to do MAKE LIFE EASIER not harder. If you ask people do you like technology, most people don't cause it's so damn hardddddddddddddd AND that isn't what IT purpose is, they should be running towards IT and loving it the people as it cuts down on time and makes things that were lenghty and time consuming and manual based efficient and effective and less time consumption.

You would need to pay to send mail, go to the post, wait 3 days before u can deliver a letter. Now its free, over email, and instanteous. The problem is all the background work to make email work is very complex and it shouldn't be and if it is we should be creating another tool for the back room boys that allows us to just click a button and have it all done instanteous most our work rather then repeat the process over and over again with programming shit.

Last edited:

BankaTuyo

حيران
Somalia needs every and each profession, we need as much professionals as possible on the ground for this country to rise out of the ashes bi'idni Allah.

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
All posters in here made much sense. Good job, great topic. This is the Somali-Spot I remember!

Yeah, all professions that serve us a purpose are needed.

Nice discussion.

Also in terms of all the Somali female and male nurses in all parts of the world should be back home. Too many in the West too little back home.

If Somali in Somalia have to compete with foreign Somalis then there won't be any jobs for them so unless you are some type of entrepreneur and is creating jobs say starting a business then you should stay away because you are hindering their growth.

You can't just say does Somalia need programmers, Computer engineers, and biomedical engineers. Apart from biomedical engineering, the other two programs that you have listed is very broad with many applications in its immense subfields.

And to answer your question, Somalia needs pure Electrical Engineers with Seasoned experience in Renewable Energy planning and the Telecommunications Subfield.

Computer Engineering mostly deals with Embedded Programming, Computer Chips, etc. which is something Somalia does not need as they have no use for startups bringing in these products.

Biomedical engineering is a niche field and I highly doubt there are enough Somalis majoring in that to go back home and make a difference, but it is a very good field especially for Somalia. We do need people designing medical devices and equipments at a cost-efficient rate.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP

I work as a Software Engineer, and have thought about if my skills would translate to Somalia, but I think instead they need more medical professionals than Programmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.