Does Puntland have massive aquifers like Saudi?

I always wondered about this .

Is it common for wells to run dry in PL?

What’s the average gallon per minute?

Can wells in PL support large scale farming for many decades like they’re doing in Saudi?

F00C84F5-C217-41D0-8994-150A294437F9.jpeg

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@SirLancelLord I think made a thread about the under-ground water sources, their is bloody 'oceans' underneath @Superiorabdi . Wells do run dry, depending on how 'far' u dig, the drill meter is needed to know how much water is contained at that 'depth'. Plus Israel is a leader in agriculture technology, with drip-technology, ur literally use drop-lets so water source being depleted is unlikely.

PL land is beautiful and hasn't degraded to the point of Saudi, when it rains, it shows it's potential for farming is there, all we need is the people to begin large scale farming using israeli technology.

We must calculate our 'farming imports' from DDS/Hiran Weekly/Monthly/Yearly so we know what our consumption rate is and begin working out how much farm land is needed to achieve 'food security'. The key word is 'security', We can't rely on farm imports, especially from this unstable horn region, they will potentially do 'farm embargos' on us over political disputes. Once we reached food security level, we must not invite any other investor, we don't want our labor pool being exhausted in a 'low return' industry, it will effect our GDP growth.

We must tell our investors farming isn't a 'ganacsi' in PL economic policy, it's only for food security goals, if they want 'ganacsi' tell them to select high return final products, so the value chain can be spread out to workers which can then foster market spending/growth for all the economy.

Plus PL has the best of both worlds we must not ruin our land potential for natural resources, only 'deserts' represent strong potential becuz it doesn't damage pre-existing eco-systems like farms, forests, etc. So we need to becareful were we select 'farming' is done and keep it located there and call it our 'agriculture valley', while not disturbing the desert too much so mining can be done.

I suspect why MJ was so rich was due to our historical occupations. Livestock-Fishery-Frankincense all done in different seasons, why other clans were stuck with 1 occupation. We must follow this method with our land where we benefit from natural resources and leave some places 'desert' for it. We need land managment so PL land is always being put to use.

Last edited:
I think more research is needed our family recently wasted like 100k to dig well last couple years. Keep sinking more money family struggling with sunk cost fallacy 🤷‍♂️

with regards to farming Somalia I think did extensive soil studies during kacaan. Puntland has 2 soils mostly gypsisol and calcisol

I think more research is needed our family recently wasted like 100k to dig well last couple years. Keep sinking more money family struggling with sunk cost fallacy 🤷‍♂️

with regards to farming Somalia I think did extensive soil studies during kacaan. Puntland has 2 soils mostly gypsisol and calcisol

This guy made an awesome channel discussing all the soils give him like and follow if you enjoy topics. Unfortunately the soils present a lot of challenges but with modern science and technology it’s possible to grow a lot of crops it’s just not piece of cake like rich soil europe has

Europe and America has a lot of the black rich soil that is the most fertile in the world. Snippet of its distribution in the world. Ukraine has a lot of it blessed with other black gold which is this rich soil. Is it coincidence europe and North America richest and both have this soil

3F0A2D51-579C-461A-BC0E-44F8B42668BB.jpeg

Europe and America has a lot of the black rich soil that is the most fertile in the world. Snippet of its distribution in the world. Ukraine has a lot of it blessed with other black gold which is this rich soil. Is it coincidence europe and North America richest and both have this soil

View attachment 262475
2CE5B3BF-59E5-4846-BF38-4ED935FB6CC0.jpeg

look at that gorgeous land and soil found in America and Europe

Mudug most common soil type gypsisol. Very poor yields and present lots of challenges it’s a desert soil. Seems like it’s mostly used for low yield grazing in world but can be farmed with proper science
1679811613871.jpeg

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Mudug most common soil type gypsisol. Very poor yields and present lots of challenges it’s a desert soil. Seems like it’s mostly used for low yield grazing in world but can be farmed with proper science View attachment 262479

The color of the soil doesn't matter is what I would thought, but whether the soil can be watered and support life. Grab a black soil n Mudug soil, what's the difference in texture, once given enuff 'water' it should turn into nice/soft brown soil that is fertile for seeding. With israeli drip-technology, u don't need large amount of water usage which will reduce ur water well cost, becuz only droplets is being used.

The color of the soil doesn't matter is what I would thought, but whether the soil can be watered and support life. Grab a black soil n Mudug soil, what's the difference in texture, once given enuff 'water' it should turn into nice/soft brown soil that is fertile for seeding. With israeli drip-technology, u don't need large amount of water usage which will reduce ur water well cost, becuz only droplets is being used.
No unfortunately it’s not just water issue . It’s chemical compound, ph, and organic content. Even with water the soil is problematic . You need drainage due to salt accumulation. And good fertilizer to make up for lack of organic content. Our ancestors are nomads for reason we got terrible soils mostly that need heavy investment

Irrigated agriculture on Gypsisols is plagued by quick dissolution of soil gypsum (see Figure 4) resulting in irregular subsidence of the land, caving in canal walls, and corrosion of concrete structures, and by the occurrence of shallow petrogypsic horizons. The latter obstruct root growth, and interfere with water supply to the crop and with soil drainage.
Dry farming on Gypsisols makes use of fallow years and other water harvesting techniques but is not very profitable; dry farming Gypsisols with more than 25 percent gypsum cannot be recommended.

Watch the guys YouTube video I shared above. he gave great explanation on how to overcome some of the challenges of gypsisol soil

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Hilmaam somali say 'indhahaga ayaa macalin ah' why does it turn to plush farm-lands when it rains in mudug? if the soil so organically dead, no vegetation should even grow.

@Hilmaam somali say 'indhahaga ayaa macalin ah' why does it turn to plush farm-lands when it rains in mudug? if the soil so organically dead, no vegetation should even grow.
Lol Eyes can be deceived , they did a pretty extensive soil study in Somalia based on map and these soil classification real detailed.
Yes when it rains desert acclimated shrubland and grasses form. Which is good for grazing camels . I am not sure on science behind the soils high gypsum levels

understanding problem is first step in solution. I really like the somali guys YouTube page he is breaking down each regions soil and how to benefit from it

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Hilmaam what we need to do is plant trees on the hills n mountains in each state so this sends oxygen up-wards forcing clouds to come and capture it and convert it to rain. That is the best long-term solution. We need to select sites with 'high wind' pressure and with high elevation, PL has some of the best winds in the globe.

@Hilmaam what we need to do is plant trees on the hills n mountains in each state so this sends oxygen up-wards forcing clouds to come and capture it and convert it to rain. That is the best long-term solution
I agree but not easy with 2 soils in puntland .hard to form deep roots and form 🌳

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
If we had a lot of groundwater we wouldn't suffer from famines
View attachment 262496

Calm down PL is blessed, we r eco-balanced region with different 'sources' for water. We got coastline for possible desalination future, we got under-ground, plus we got 'rain' to capture. I prefer my life-lines r spread out don't you, then having one lifeline blessed?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Hilmaam DDS is same soil as Mudug and they r fast becoming a breadbasket and possibly food secure and exporting excess. PL is blessed. Bari-Nugaal soil is similar to egyptian nile river soil

Trending

Latest posts