Do you think Confucianism would work in Somalia ?

I have recently been exploring philosophy and it got me thinking about whether Somali society could benefit from incorporating aspects of Confucianism. Many people cite this as a reason for the growth and success of East Asian countries.

I'm not referring to ancestor worship but instead to a strong respect for law, family, and order.

What do you guys think of this?

Should we create a cultural and clan-based philosophy?

Moon-

Bipolar Express
most people respect old people anyways its ceeb to talk to someone older than you rudely we don't need that

These things aren't really unique to Confucianism. Islam has ethics based on strong respect for family, law and order

I second this but you know it's crazy to me that a country like Japan where there's no religion (except for a few buddhists) you can leave your phone on a bench and come back and there's low thievery, but in a Muslim country you can have your shoes stolen from you at the masjid. This boils down to one thing: culture >>> religion. Some cultures are just low trust cultures, it's acceptable to steal, scam, and push each other around and even Islamic principles against that aren't enough to change the people.

Moon-

Bipolar Express
I second this but you know it's crazy to me that a country like Japan where there's no religion (except for a few buddhists) you can leave your phone on a bench and come back and there's low thievery, but in a Muslim country you can have your shoes stolen from you at the masjid. This boils down to one thing: culture >>> religion. Some cultures are just low trust cultures, it's acceptable to steal, scam, and push each other around and even Islamic principles against that aren't enough to change the people.
ppl say in qatar you could leave your door open and no one would come steal i think money matters alot too

Why don't you list some of their core principles so we have a better idea of what you're talking about.

Japan is a collectivist society which emphasizes social harmony and collaboration above all else so that could explain the high trust. Then again, countries like Norway are individualistic but also have very high trust

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Japan is a collectivist society which emphasizes social harmony and collaboration above all else so that could explain the high trust. Then again, countries like Norway are individualistic but also have very high trust
Somalis have certain practices like Hawala that require high trust.

However, politically speaking, Somalia has to contend with several factors:

- Poverty/high economic inequality
- Armed conflict
- Tribal and clan dynamics

The only aspect of Confucianism that would help is maintaining social harmony. However, Somalis do not agree with strict social hierarchies of dominance v.s. submission. They are far more socially egalitarian and do not subscribe to anyone being above them. I also don't understand the notion of true altruism. It seems spiritually promiscuous to love all men. You can express goodwill toward humanity, but love for it is a tall order. Can one love someone who endangers them or threatens their life? I think not. You can demonstrate caring and kind acts without 'love.'

Also, we cannot pretend that the Mao Cultural Revolution didn't happen, killing 60 million Chinese and that there have not been many bloody feudal conflicts across East Asia. So, widespread inhumane acts have occurred as well.

I don’t know, all I know is that Somalis need some sort of discipline injected into their culture which I feel they severely lack.
Also, social cohesion above all needs to be implemented.

Trending