Do you think Africa has the potential to outdo all other continents

Alluring

Sayonara
I personally think that in the next few decades to century Africa will develop faster than any another continent. The resources are there, all that's needed are good governments that are uncorrupted to lead the charge. Europe lacks resources but makes it up with their governments. Asia specifically in the east has extremely educated societies and individuals but they aren't reproducing enough. The Middle East has resources but they're drying them up with having on resource like oil become their main export. Africa has every resource on the planet with a growing population. It just needs capable hands to gear the continent in the right direction.

I personally think that in the next few decades to century Africa will develop faster than any another continent. The resources are there, all that's needed are good governments that are uncorrupted to lead the charge. Europe lacks resources but makes it up with their governments. Asia specifically in the east has extremely educated societies and individuals but they aren't reproducing enough. The Middle East has resources but they're drying them up with having on resource like oil become their main export. Africa has every resource on the planet with a growing population. It just needs capable hands to gear the continent in the right direction.
As if AMERICA and other middle easter countrys would let them. The fear is real

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
Africa is still colonisation but now it’s in a financial way called debt diplomacy to the European/Asian superpowers.

Meaning foreign superpowers can influence politics and internal affairs. They can pick and choose the leaders of a country. They can exploit natural resources by giving bribes to corrupt handpicked African leaders

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Only when they stand together and develop the balls to tell the west to f*ck off and join Muslim countries that are powerful like turkey and Iran to develop nuclear weapons and a strong army.

But let's be honest Bantus let themselves down even worse than us. We're even worse since we let few qabilist disgrace us and allow ajnabis to baby sit us.

This is a dream and most likely will not happen.

potential? yes. will it? no. africa will always be controlled by foreigners. by the time europe and america is blacked and browned china will have replaced them.

Apollo

VIP
No. Too many structural disadvantages and the last 1,000 years of history shows it.

North America and East Asia will be the new centers of global power for the foreseeable future.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
No. Too many structural disadvantages and the last 1,000 years of history shows it.

North America and East Asia will be the new centers of global power for the foreseeable future.

I am not so sure about the foreseeable future. I have been closely following gene editing's progress and I think that embryo selection for intelligence and embryo editing for intelligence will be widely available and cheap in less than 30 years. A single cycle of IVF now costs $12,000, keep in mind IVF is incredibly more labor intensive than gene editing. In less than 30 years, I expect that it will cost less than $3,000 to create embryos with iqs above anyone who has ever lived. Biology is cheap and this will be Africa's saving grace. The revolution in biotech will close the deep gulfs in ability between human groups much more quickly than we can possible imagine.

tl;dr Kinshasa may be indistinguishable from Tokyo by the end of this century.

of course. africa would have been at the top nations if it wasn’t for slavery. Colonization set them back 400 years

I see all this blind romanticization and misguided pride about how Africa would've been at the top if it hadn't been for those meddling foreigners. That's completely inaccurate and deluded. Africa had all the time in the world to develop, just like Europe and Asia had. But, what did Africa do on the world stage in all that time? Not much. It stayed stagnant for centuries on end. It's not like the Europeans had a greater advantage to innovate, either. God didn't give them a guidebook or extra time.

If others hadn't come to Africa and brought technology and scientific knowledge, much of sub-saharan would still be living in tribal kings and hunting to survive. Heck, it's even 2020 and most of Africa doesn't even have electricity. But, I bet you're going to blame that on the Europeans, like those Africans would've had it without them. While the East and West were developing fields in mathematics, science and literature, Africans were frolicking in grass fields- completely satisfied with the status quo. (hyperbole btw)

GemState

36/21
VIP
I see all this blind romanticization and misguided pride about how Africa would've been at the top if it hadn't been for those meddling foreigners. That's completely inaccurate and deluded. Africa had all the time in the world to develop, just like Europe and Asia had. But, what did Africa do on the world stage in all that time? Not much. It stayed stagnant for centuries on end. It's not like the Europeans had a greater advantage to innovate, either. God didn't give them a guidebook or extra time.

If others hadn't come to Africa and brought technology and scientific knowledge, much of sub-saharan would still be living in tribal kings and hunting to survive. Heck, it's even 2020 and most of Africa doesn't even have electricity. But, I bet you're going to blame that on the Europeans, like those Africans would've had it without them. While the East and West were developing fields in mathematics, science and literature, Africans were frolicking in grass fields- completely satisfied with the status quo. (hyperbole btw)
Africa's problem was its climate, size, and lack of a centralized authority.

Africa is mostly tropical, so people can just survive by being hunter-gatherers 24/7, which means Africans weren't forced to adapt and be innovative, unlike other peoples. Africa is also ridiculously large for its small population, which is why a real Empire in Subsaharan Africa was almost unheard of as there was always more land than people.

Africans were not forced to develop agriculture due to its climate, so no agriculture means no settled populations, which means less complex societies and innovations that followed after like writing, organized religion, trade expansions, etc, happened much later then it should have done. This is why South America was smelting copper and bronze while Columbus was voyaging across the Atlantic, same rules apply there as in Africa.

Is this from the author Jared Diamond? I used to think he was racist a few years ago, but have come to realize he does make some okay points, here and there.

I still don't agree with most of his views, but I do think some of those points you mentioned have truth to it. I think most of his theories come from trying to paint correlation as causation, though.

Apollo

VIP
I am not so sure about the foreseeable future. I have been closely following gene editing's progress and I think that embryo selection for intelligence and embryo editing for intelligence will be widely available and cheap in less than 30 years. A single cycle of IVF now costs $12,000, keep in mind IVF is incredibly more labor intensive than gene editing. In less than 30 years, I expect that it will cost less than $3,000 to create embryos with iqs above anyone who has ever lived. Biology is cheap and this will be Africa's saving grace. The revolution in biotech will close the deep gulfs in ability between human groups much more quickly than we can possible imagine.

tl;dr Kinshasa may be indistinguishable from Tokyo by the end of this century.

I wasn't only thinking about that, but also many of the other structural issues like geography (lack of many navigable rivers), tribalism/ethnic rivalries, border disputes/contentions, climate, cultural problems like corruption etc. Most of these issues are substantially reduced in North America or East Asia where I think global power will be for the rest of the 21st century.

Moreover, it is likely that those technologies mentioned above will first get into the hands of China and their unethical authoritarian government will probably implement it first giving them a massive leg up to the rest of the world (including the West). World War III could be about this issue, who knows.

Certain countries in Africa will grow rapidly and take advantage of other Africans. Countries like Nigeria , Sudan and South Africa have a high GDP and rapidly growing workforce.

Prime Minister

Somali Promotion Agent
I don't think so for the following reasons:

Huge population boom with no planning > Lack of education resources > Corruption and weak institutions > Aid dependency > Natural resources war for external powers

Africa will be more like the DRC is today.

Som

VIP

What are the areas of africa who had the most developed civilizations? north africa, west africa(mali) and horn of africa(ethiopia mainly but also somali Sultanates ) + Sudan(nubian).
The nubians and axum in 300CE were much much more developed than northern europeans. Nubians and ethios had a written language much before some white people like Slavs who got it from the greeks in the middle ages(cyrillic). Ethiopians had a written tradition in the IV century, Slavs got it from the greeks only 5 centuries later. Before the renaissance life in Ethiopia, Nubia, Mali etc were not much different than in Europe and keep in mind that these countries are still disadvantaged by geography. (Desert, isolation etc)
What do all these african areas have in common? They are key areas for trade and Cultural exchange. Why was southern eurooe 100times more developed than the North in ancient times? Again key area for trade and Cultural exchange. It's not a coincidence that civilization started in mesopotamia/nile valley and not in siberia or the congo rainforest
Most of africa has been completely isolated by deserts or forests and this explains the lack of development. If germanic tribes never came in contact with romans they would be exactly like some african tribes today. This explains why africa was left behind, geography and basically few contacts with the outside eorld
Let's talk about meddling by foreigners. Slavery and colonialism destroyed Africa or at least prevented any further development in isolated areas. Especially in west africa slavery had a huge impact, colonial exploitation destroyed institutions. If africa was never colonized and instead got in trade relations with Europe it would be similar to south east asia.

Som

VIP
Africa is big.
Some countries like Botswana already have a Human development index which is the same or higher than east european countries like Ukraine or Belarus.
Immagine. In just 50 years of independence a small deseet country like Botswana obtained the same level of HDI as former soviet countries whi have thousands of years of development more than them. This shows that african countries can thrive with the right leadership. Some othee countries are doing terrible becaue of political problems. Africa is divided in 54 states were thousands of ethnic groups are forced to live together. Nigeria alone has more ethnic and linguistic diversity than western europe. It's a miracle that they don't have a civil war. Colonial borders also contribute to wars that prevent development

Som

VIP

By the way your argument doesn't make much sense because technology is always something that developes in areas with that have cultural exchanges with others. What's your explanation for the lack of development in africa? Cause you seem to just look at today's picture without analyzing starting conditions

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
Africa is big.
Some countries like Botswana already have a Human development index which is the same or higher than east european countries like Ukraine or Belarus.
Immagine. In just 50 years of independence a small deseet country like Botswana obtained the same level of HDI as former soviet countries whi have thousands of years of development more than them. This shows that african countries can thrive with the right leadership. Some othee countries are doing terrible becaue of political problems. Africa is divided in 54 states were thousands of ethnic groups are forced to live together. Nigeria alone has more ethnic and linguistic diversity than western europe. It's a miracle that they don't have a civil war. Colonial borders also contribute to wars that prevent development
they did its called the biafran war
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Trending

Latest posts