Do Not Be Perturbed by Ethical Objections against Islam

Do Not Be Perturbed by Ethical Objections against Islam​

By Bassam Zawadi

Unless Islam teaches something deemed to be universally morally abhorrent across all ages (e.g., gratuitous abuse of a toddler), you should not be perturbed by ethical objections against Islam. Objections against Islam today are either misinformed or are ‘informed,’ yet concern issues heavily influenced by social conditioning (i.e., they are subjective, not objective).

God is powerful enough to hard-wire our brains to embrace all of Islam’s directives, so hard-wired that it could not be overturned by social conditioning. However, where is the trial in that? What kind of worldly test is that? In fact, that is no test at all. Rather, we presume God’s desire for our placement in situations whereby we make willful choices to defy the pressure of creation in favor of the Creator. It makes sense that there would be at least some matters where God requires us to amass the inner strength to withstand man’s fallible yet ubiquitous moral standards, in favor of the divine.

Your life has sanctity only because God made it sacred. Your bodily organs have intrinsic worth only because God made them so. So if this God proclaimed a particular life to be violable under certain conditions, or ordered the removal of organs as a result of specific actions, then where is the theological or philosophical objection to this? It is tough for a theologian or philosopher to lodge a successful argument that maintains that it is implausible, let alone impossible, for God to ordain a specific moral law. The only exceptions I could think of are those cases I alluded to at first (i.e., universal rejection across the ages), whereby one could dispute the wisdom of why God would ordain something, yet concurrently naturally wire all of humanity into rejecting it, while simultaneously labeling it as “fitrah.” Otherwise, any other attempt at making a successful argument is futile, for it remains nothing short of speculation.

mr.overeasy

The most eggcelent member
Also a big problem is athiests who claim that islam is immoral have no objective morality to compare it too.

They literally can't tell you what is immoral about any aspect of islam because their morality is based on people not getting hurt. Many athiests will claim that incest is okay because they know if they call it wrong we can easily use that to show certain lifestyles like qawn-al-lut are evil.

mr.overeasy

The most eggcelent member
There is no objective ethics
there is actually. Only athiests have no objective ethics.

Any believer has an objective standard to ethics with very little truly gray areas because of religion.

An athiest can't prove anything since they don't have that objective foundation and thus can't criticize Islamic values since they can't say why its wrong.

We can simply dismiss athiests by asking if a parent and grown child can commit zina if they don;t have kids.

If they answer yes they are disgusting, if they say no then we can say we feel the same about g*ys and so on.

Trending