Do I even exist?

psyche

To each their own
This has been bugging my mind lately.

Been having some depressing thoughts lately and I stumbled accidentally on a video about the perspective of death.

Made me really wonder if I'm an actual entity or just a extremely complex set of cells operating in complete union.

Am I actually experiencing life or is my consciousness just a culmination of years of 'living' and interacting with adjacent brain cells in response to stimuli?

what is your outlook in regards to sentience?

Last edited:
this is how you lose your mind! if you are prone to depressive thoughts and dissociation and/or have a history or DPDR, you should stay away from philosophy

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
This has been bugging my mind lately.

Been having some depressing thoughts lately and I stumbled accidentally on a video about the perspective of death.

Made me really wonder if I'm an actual entity or just a extremely complex set of cells operating in complete union.

Am I actually experiencing life or is my consciousness just a culmination of years of 'living' and interacting with adjacent brain cells in response to stimuli?

what is your outlook in regards to sentience?
To come back to your question. Honestly hope you get through your depression and yes you are experiencing life.

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
Best Coping:
Everything exist. Just reality is very low level!

It’s not so great to in be suffer pains.

psyche

To each their own
this is how you lose your mind! if you are prone to depressive thoughts and dissociation and/or have a history or DPDR, you should stay away from philosophy

Read a bit about DPDR, maybe that's why I've had a habitat of snapping out of reality for a while. I probably need expert opinion in regards to this though.

MadMullah99

Boqor of Boqors. The man your wife fantasises of.
Walaal disengage from those thoughts Immediately. Trust me you will not enjoy life and spiral into mental problems.

Sigh this is all because of the West walahi. These fucks over think every little thing. RELAX! Look at the Somalis in the motherland and think to yourself; do they think about bs like this or enjoy life what it is?

in times of doubt and confusion, simply borrow from their strength and the deen.

psyche

To each their own
Walaal disengage from those thoughts Immediately. Trust me you will not enjoy life and spiral into mental problems.

Sigh this is all because of the West walahi. These fucks over think every little thing. RELAX! Look at the Somalis in the motherland and think to yourself; do they think about bs like this or enjoy life what it is?

in times of doubt and confusion, simply borrow from their strength and the deen.

The philosophy of life has always been talked about since antiquity.

I just wanted a civil discussion about consciousness, I didn't mean to alarm people

But it seems that talks like this are taboo I guess.

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
Philosophies are no good when they don’t have practical principles to enact upon them.

I.E. “Can’t bring a knife to a gun fight”

sometimes i have thoughts like "what happens after death? how could it be proved?"
i always manage to get out of it because you would never know unless you actually die and see for yourself
there's not much purpose to such questioning of reality except falling into a dark rabbit hole

MadMullah99

Boqor of Boqors. The man your wife fantasises of.
The philosophy of life has always been talked about since antiquity.

I just wanted a civil discussion about consciousness, I didn't mean to alarm people

But it seems that talks like this are taboo I guess.
It is not “taboo” And I don’t mind to discuss it. It just looks like to me that you are the type to not handle it and fall of the rails in mental anguish.

psyche

To each their own
It is not “taboo” And I don’t mind to discuss it. It just looks like to me that you are the type to not handle it and fall of the rails in mental anguish.

I can handle it. I think I'm more of on the confused side than being mentally anguished.

And depressing thoughts are pretty normal for most people. I would rather face it then ignore it.

Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively.[1] Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia").

What is Sentience?
Sentience is basically "consciousness", in its most pure sense and without attachment to any form of expression consciousness might undergo, like say for example the use of language, art, emotion, etc. It is not the same as intelligence, which is a function or attribute of consciousness, but not consciousness itself. Sentience is the term we use to describe the idea that behind the machinery of the body, then behind the machinery of the mind and all its workings, there is a "someone". Borrowing from the second quote above, it is consciousness if we subtract all the "characteristics of the mind". In other words, pure consciousness.
Here's our first thought experiment to describe this further: let's see we created an android that perfectly resembled a human being in all ways, except that all of its actions and responses are determined by us. If you interact with it it has not only a human body but also a personality. It responds and interacts dynamically and displays emotion and reason. Supposing that there is something separating this android and a real human - some "spark". What is that spark? Sentience.

Regarding the question, do I exist?
I would answer that question by if you have consciousness you most likely exist.

Trending