Djibouti Reunification with Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
Even if 100% of Djibouti's population voted in a referendum to join Somalia...

The international community would prevent it all costs.

They're even trying to split up Yemen so they could get a 2nd Djibouti across the Red Sea.

Why would they hand over a crucial choke point of the global economy to crazy expansionist geeljire?

They rigged the referendum twice, and killed high ranking Somalis supporting union.

Initial results supported a continued but looser relationship with France, with 60.6% of the electorate voting for the status quo on a 95% turnout.[3] Voting was also divided along ethnic lines, with the resident Somalis by and large voting for independence, with the goal of eventual reunion with Somalia, and the Afars generally opting to remain associated with France.[1]

However, as with the previous referendum of 1958, the plebiscite was again marred by reports of vote rigging on the part of the French authorities,[4] with some 10,000 Somalis deported under the pretext that they did not have valid identity cards.[5] According to official figures, although the territory was at the time inhabited by 58,240 Somali and 48,270 Afar, only 14,689 Somali were allowed to register to vote versus 22,004 Afar.[6] Somali representatives also charged that the French had simultaneously imported thousands of Afar nomads from neighboring Ethiopia to further tip the odds in their favor, but the French authorities denied this, suggesting that Afars already greatly outnumbered Somalis on the voting lists.[5]

Announcement of the plebiscite results was met with civil unrest, including several deaths. France also increased its military force along the frontier.[5][7]

All this for a strategical military base...

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
What about Afars? They voted against joining Somalia back then, why would they join now?
They are not native to the land so they can f*ck off. The French imported them to Djibouti to rig the refrendum.

However, as with the previous referendum of 1958, the plebiscite was again marred by reports of vote rigging on the part of the French authorities,[4] with some 10,000 Somalis deported under the pretext that they did not have valid identity cards.[5] According to official figures, although the territory was at the time inhabited by 58,240 Somali and 48,270 Afar, only 14,689 Somali were allowed to register to vote versus 22,004 Afar.[6] Somali representatives also charged that the French had simultaneously imported thousands of Afar nomads from neighboring Ethiopia to further tip the odds in their favor, but the French authorities denied this, suggesting that Afars already greatly outnumbered Somalis on the voting lists.[5]

VIP
We tried my friend. We were always pro somaliweyn, but you guys destroyed that idea for good with your civil war. In hindsight, the French and afar did us a favor. Fight for somaliland first.

Does it not upset anyone that the Western powers have carved up historical Somali territory and handed them out to neighbouring countries as political gifts?

Djibouti is the worst manifestation of this, they literally carved up this strategic territory and set up a government they could control. Now every military power has a military base located there. Ethiopia has already built a port over there. International telecoms have set up internet peer exchange networks over there. Somalia should be benefiting from all of this.

I really hope to see a strong Somalia one day with economic power that could buy an election in Djibouti and call for a referendum :cool:

Ogaden, NFD, Somaliland, Djibouti..............they will all one day be ruled from Mogadishu (hopefully this capital is moved).
You lost me at the end. Delete that & it's not too bad :liberaltears:

Ogaden & NFD is the worst. Its funny how black people love haile selassie & everything ethiopia, when he sat at the table with the whites cutting africa into pieces. he was an uncle tom aka a house n*gga :nahgirl::damn:

and the british government will face karma for giving kenya NFD

They are not native to the land so they can f*ck off. The French imported them to Djibouti to rig the refrendum.

I know that, hence the question. What about them? They're 40% of the nation.

My reaction years ago when I learned there's an American base in Djibouti :meleshame:

Good on them for being stable and safe but I wouldn't want foreigners to wield so much power in my homeland

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
My reaction years ago when I learned there's an American base in Djibouti :meleshame:

Good on them for being stable and safe but I wouldn't want foreigners to wield so much power in my homeland
Italy, France, US, Japan, and China has a base in Djibouti. Gulf Arabs are seeking to build a base over there too for some fucked up reason.

Italy, France, US, Japan, and China has a base in Djibouti. Gulf Arabs are seeking to build a base over there too for some fucked up reason.

Who's left blimey :susp:

It's like a spot for every nations covert operations, the gulf arabs just want their peace of the pie

I hope at least they're taxing them heavily

potential oil. & the chinese claimed they were gonna help stop pirate activity. waar i know they are horny for the fish :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.