Disappointed in the historical Somali pages on Wikipedia.

When teachers and professors say that Wikipedia isn't a source, it's because of the weakness of a public encyclopedia means makingeveryone dependent on good will. That's why sources are so important; they allow you and anyone interested to look into it and verify for yourself if what it says is correct, serving as a starting point to read more about a particular subject.
An example to illustrate:
1714137026883.png

Unfortunately, while the general "Somalia" and "Mogadishu" pages are acceptable, the specific sections on sultanates and antiquity have weak sources. I've encountered numerous instances where strong statements are made, but upon checking the sources, they either lead to dead links, weak non-academic sources, or the sources contradict the stated information entirely.

In short, there's a significant shortage of primary sources and an overwhelming abundance of "not good" to "not cited" sources.
1714137297554.png

I just wanted to mention this and see if others have noticed it too. Personally, if I had more time, I would download every historical source, organize them by time, date, and area, and reconstruct a canon of Somali history.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Wikapedia is known for its bs but it’s where most of the public goes for quick knowledge and is often prone to lies and fake info.

Reminds me of the time when an American for over a decade wrote thousands of articles in Wikipedia of the Scottish language when he didn’t even know how to speak or write in the language. Eventually this was copied down in dictionaries and affected the Scottish langauge

Trending

Latest posts