dire dawa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back in 2011 before i visited dire dawa, i though it was a somali city. But after my first visit i realised it wasnt. But then i read some of the posts overhere that it used to be a somali city before it was overtaken by other ethnic groups. How true is this ?

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
eKiC2mO.png

Regional & Federal Studies

Volume 24, Issue 5, 2014
Special Issue: Federalism and Decentralization in Sub-Saharan Africa
Ethnic Decentralization and the Challenges of Inclusive Governance in Multiethnic Cities: The Case of Dire Dawa, Ethiopia

It's still a Somali (Dir) city.
Since Oromo are only able to claim it by seducing the Gurgura, but they are genealogically Dir.

Under the Federal Census however the Oromo speaking Gurgura are categorized as Oromo, thus the Oromo group having a so called larger percentage.

The Gurgura are originally a Somali group though they are even mentioned in the Futuh Al Habasha as a Somali group. It just seems over the years and the wars that the Oromos have tried not only to Oromize them but also many other Somali groups.

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
I think us ignoring our Somali brothers in Ethiopia has led them to be Oromized and them of course neighbouring the Oromos. The Hawiye of the Karanle and Gugundhabe have gone through the same problem. They are the Hawiye that also fought in the conquest of Abyssinia, located around Harar. Thanks @Canuck for shedding some light on this issue.

dzCpU2a.png

Today with the cultural rich Somali State in Ethiopia slowly more and more Somalis are regaining their true identity and there is still much Somali land under the Oromo region.

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
At this the companions of the imam scream-out out saying"The infidels have tricked us; they are after the livestock,' whereupon the Imam split his forces into two new divisions: one he entrusted to Garad Ahmusha composed of the Somali spearmen of the Marraihan, The Gorgorah and the Hawiya.
Futuh Al Habasha page 120

this city always sadden me,,,my brother visited d.dawa last year he was telling me the city completely went downhill, he said you'll hardly find somalis, its almost entirely oromos and the lowest of once he said, development no longer exists, that strong somali culture dire dawa used to have is gone, no activity, no hussle n bussle nothing just coffee shops and the dominant comodity is just khat khat and some more khat and he also told me that harrar was even worse, alchohol and khat reeked everywhere,,what going on with our ppl :(

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
this city always sadden me,,,my brother visited d.dawa last year he was telling me the city completely went downhill, he said you'll hardly find somalis, its almost entirely oromos and the lowest of once he said, development no longer exists, that strong somali culture dire dawa used to have is gone, no activity, no hussle n bussle nothing just coffee shops and the dominant comodity is just khat khat and some more khat and he also told me that harrar was even worse, alchohol and khat reeked everywhere,,what going on with our ppl :(
Thats not what Somalis who studied at the Dire Dawa university told me. I think seeing a lot of Oromos is just a misconception. Normally the ones studying there tell me they meet a lot of Issa's andare quick to stamp it a Issa city. They tell me there is a large Gadabursi community too, although not big as Issa they are the biggest Somali community. Those are the words of a Dhulbahante and MJ student i asked and were studying in Dire Dawa.

Also don't be suprised at the non Somalis flocking in. It's the second biggest city of Somalia and sxb Oromo waa dad Soomaalida oo dhan ka badan.

And now those Oromo are flocking to SL /PL building ghetto slums

Thats not what Somalis who studied at the Dire Dawa university told me. I think seeing a lot of Oromos is just a misconception. Normally the ones studying there tell me they meet a lot of Issa's andare quick to stamp it a Issa city. They tell me there is a large Gadabursi community too, although not big as Issa they are the biggest Somali community. Those are the words of a Dhulbahante and MJ student i asked and were studying in Dire Dawa.

Also don't be suprised at the non Somalis flocking in. It's the second biggest city of Somalia and sxb Oromo waa dad Soomaalida oo dhan ka badan.

So Dire dawa is mostly a dir city. What does dire dawa mean. And what happened to harar then. I remember i saw alot of somalis back in 2011. I had alot of relatives who living. Most of them are mostly from qabri dahar who moved to the city but i think alot have moved to jigjiga though. Not sure. Perhaps alot of somalis living there are moving to jigjiga. What do you say @Rooble ?

Tucking_Fypo

سلطنة مجرتين
VIP
What slums though, or you just talking out your ass again:gnzbryw:
Not long ago you claimed soweto in Bosaso was a oromo slum:chrisfreshhah:

Rooble

Suldaanka Gobyare
VIP
So Dire dawa is mostly a dir city. What does dire dawa mean. And what happened to harar then. I remember i saw alot of somalis back in 2011. I had alot of relatives who living. Most of them are mostly from qabri dahar who moved to the city but i think alot have moved to jigjiga though. Not sure. Perhaps alot of somalis living there are moving to jigjiga. What do you say @Rooble ?

Harar became it's own zone thanks to the treacherous Harari people. There are still many Somalis there. Some say the name Dire Dhabe, is where Dir stabbed his spear. Me I don't really care about the etymology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending