Different Somali phenotypes/ looks

Liban89

Maqal herder | Burco boodhweyn.
If I were to submit an average somali phenotype for preservation; these would be my pick
hqdefault (1).jpg
EHPcU6PXkAEjAql.jpg
download (2).jpeg
IlwadPNG.png

I noticed that there is usually, but not always, an inverse relationship between skin depth and hair texture.

The darkest Somalis are more likely to have wavy hair and sharper features and the lightest frequently have type 4a hair and more blunt features. The majority of us fall somewhere between these on the spectrum.
I feel the same is very similar for Sudanese Nubians too. In my experience usually the darker ones will have hair that falls in between 3a and 4a and the lighter ones will almost always be 4b and 4c.

Yes. I've seen some Beja people they could pass as Somali anytime. I can't believe they are more Eurasian than us, probably 5-10% difference is minuscule when it comes to looks
View attachment 252223
Genetics obviously play a role in phenotype but assuming a phenotype based solely on genetic percentages usually isn't the most accurate thing to do. It can be very misleading. Especially in the case of Sudan. But yes, 5-10% difference generally won't be that noticeable.

World

VIP
Does he have Arab Salah ancestry? This could explain it. I'm MX so no Arab recent ancestry but i have relatives that look like that , maybe just a bit darker but it similar. At the same time I have very dark people in my family as well
Nope full Somali

Dark skin somalis don't get nearly enough recognition. Personally I think it fits so well with the somali phenotype like sharper noses, wavy hair.

In my opinion, maariin to darkskinned Somalis with classic Somali features and hair are the beauty standard. The true 'Macrobians'. I say this as a yellow lady, so I am not even being biased towards myself.

This is my ideal Somali for each gender:

Yasmin Warsame

5895b3cf722364f528aaaf4f68d5bfab.jpg

Abshir Boyah (6'4)

1675552794846.jpeg

001-20090615-Essay-Somalia-151px.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 23.23.48.png

1675553058653.png

Somalis seem to have much variance when it comes to looks. Even in the same family you can find super dark people and super light people, or straight hair and afro textured hair. It's crazy and yet people say we all look the same. Certainly we all have the same Somali vibe but in different ways. These are 3 examples of somalis who look extremely different and yet are Somali looking and you would guess they are Somali if you didn't know them. I wonder if there's a genetic explanation for this. Ethiopian Habeshas seem to have a more homogeneous look
Type 1 very dark , almost Nilotic like. He could pass in many subsaharan countries
View attachment 252193
this picture kind of reminds me of this photo of a Nuer man from South Sudan.
1675552957822.png

I don't know what it is at all, but something about him is quietly whispering to me "Somali", but I literally can't point out what it is. Maybe the eyes? I don't know at all lol.

Does he have Arab Salah ancestry? This could explain it. I'm MX so no Arab recent ancestry but i have relatives that look like that , maybe just a bit darker but it similar. At the same time I have very dark people in my family as well

If we look at Cushites across the Horn, we can find people on the lighter end of the spectrum. I think it's more to do with our ancient admixture than recent ones. I've seen plenty of Somali ladies that look straight up Asian, but are pure Somali. Maybe it's more common among our ladies than our men. Since most Somali ladies wear hijab, you can't see the full-look.

Last edited:
this picture kind of reminds me of this photo of a Nuer man from South Sudan.
View attachment 252355
I don't know what it is at all, but something about him is quietly whispering to me "Somali", but I literally can't point out what it is. Maybe the eyes? I don't know at all lol.

It's a bit odd that he has both the horizontal lines and the dots on the face

:cosbyhmm:

The girl below is Dinka; high cheekbones and almond shaped eyes seem to be Proto-Nilotic features

3F67030A00000578-4427296-image-m-23_1492653095941.jpg

It's a bit odd that he has both the horizontal lines and the dots on the face

:cosbyhmm:

The girl below is Dinka; high cheekbones and almond shaped eyes seem to be Proto-Nilotic features

View attachment 252364

I keep telling Somalis that we get our beauty from our Proto-Nilotic forebears. The elegance, the height, the skin-tone etc.

Som

VIP
She could pass for a Somali :damn: ana carab gonna go ape shit seeing this pic
She could even pass as Habesha, immagine her with the Habesha hairstyle in a mountains area somewhere in Ethiopia. Nobody would notice her . Ana Yemeni Habesha would also be schocked. She could pass in this tigrayan crowd
1675560507877.png

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Wow, you never see that look in the West.
The man has good jawline and low bodyfat due to his lifestyle. As a fisherman his diet is mainly fish and also I bet he also eats alot of hilib. Our sedentary lifestyle and soft foods in the west is why we don’t have men who look like that in the west.

The man has good jawline and low bodyfat due to his lifestyle. As a fisherman his diet is mainly fish and also I bet he also eats alot of hilib. Our sedentary lifestyle and soft foods in the west is why we don’t have men who look like that in the west.
agreed but he is very very caato. Women in the west really don’t like skinny guys like that so this is why lotta dudes bulk up to get muscle

Trending

Latest posts