Different Somali phenotypes/ looks

Som

VIP
Somalis seem to have much variance when it comes to looks. Even in the same family you can find super dark people and super light people, or straight hair and afro textured hair. It's crazy and yet people say we all look the same. Certainly we all have the same Somali vibe but in different ways. These are 3 examples of somalis who look extremely different and yet are Somali looking and you would guess they are Somali if you didn't know them. I wonder if there's a genetic explanation for this. Ethiopian Habeshas seem to have a more homogeneous look
Type 1 very dark , almost Nilotic like. He could pass in many subsaharan countries
Coldoon
1675477170126.png

Type 2 'Semitic" looking
President Abduqasim Salad, he could pass in Yemen or Oman, nobody would question him.

1675477391120.png

Type 3 Indian looking Abdullahi Yusuf. He could pass in India or Srilanka easily
1675477473074.png

Awad

ΨΉΨ§Ψ―Ω„ | Ψ¬Ψ§Ω…ΨΉΨ© الدفاع Ψ§Ω„ΨΉΨ±Ψ¨ΩŠ
Somalis really like to underplay how prevelant the "coldoon" look is

Interesting. I think type 2 is really minor, type 3 is roughly 20% from my experience in US and UK, type 1 the most common with 60% ish. There is another type that is a cross between type 1 and type 2 though. Someone like chunks for example. Like a lighter skinned coldoon. There is another type, typically the southern areas mainly from the hawiye tribe. Lean and long face, small forehead, dark skin and softer hair. A variant of type 3 but with sharper features.

Abdiqasim would not pass in Arab countries in my opinion.

General Ciiro (AUN) could pass for Arab, this is an example of pure ethnic Somalis who look non-Somali, clearly some West-Asian gene throwback going on here.

I have other examples of this look, but they are ladies so I'll leave it out.

2b30hre.jpg

View attachment 252196
My hooyo has the ciiro look lowkey with little more curly hair

Som

VIP
Yes it's very common and some people would blame it on Bantu influence but that's a lie cause you can see this in Somaliland and Djibouti where there's zero Bantu influence/ population. We are black people, it's normal for that phenotype go exist. It would impossible for Coldoon to pass in Habesha Ethiopia or Eritrea but he fits well in Somalia

Som

VIP
Interesting. I think type 2 is really minor, type 3 is roughly 20% from my experience in US and UK, type 1 the most common with 60% ish. There is another type that is a cross between type 1 and type 2 though. Someone like chunks for example. Like a lighter skinned coldoon. There is another type, typically the southern areas mainly from the hawiye tribe. Lean and long face, small forehead, dark skin and softer hair. A variant of type 3 but with sharper features.
Type 1 is an extreme. Most people would be a less exaggerated type 1, then type 3 is also common but with darker skin and finally type 2 bit that's also fairly common

K-M-O

Somali.
This is why I consider Somalis to be their own race.

We share the same genetic profile, physical characteristics and language.

We’ve been remaining like this for thousands of years. We’re not just a ethnic groups; we are our own distinction.

Garaad diinle

ξ€šξ€žξ€’ξ€œξ€  ξ€ ξ€Ÿξ€‘ξ€ξ€›
I've seen all 4 types in a single family with varying skin colour ranging from arab white to normal dark skin.

World

VIP
there is nothing β€œsemitic” about type 2, most somalis look like him. He will stand out in yemen and oman due to his normal eyes, non hooked nose, dark skin and being a foot taller than the men. Ethiopians look like darker yemenis.

Same thing goes for us Sudanis lmao. Anyone with an appearance that goes beyond the typical look of a tribe either through being "too-Arab looking" or "too Nilotic-looking" is always undermined and has their identity questioned or discredited.

There's people for example from Sudan's Beja ethnicity, they generally look very similar to Somalis but a couple of them are almost exactly the same in appearance to Southern Nilotes and vice versa, a couple appear to be very "Arab/Semitic" in appearance.

I noticed that there is usually, but not always, an inverse relationship between skin depth and hair texture.

The darkest Somalis are more likely to have wavy hair and sharper features and the lightest frequently have type 4a hair and more blunt features. The majority of us fall somewhere between these on the spectrum.

Trending