Did the Austronesian ancestors of Malagasy settle on the Somali coast before reaching Madagascar?

I was reading Ehret's latest book "Ancient Africa: a global history, to 300 CE". In chapter 6 he mentioned there's evidence of the Austronesian ancestors of the Malagasy stopping over on the east African coast before reaching Madagascar. At that point they introduced the chicken, banana, and xylophone to sub-Saharan Africa.

wbfurQC.jpg

uyQc92c.jpeg

As Ehret mentioned above its been postulated there could've been multiple Austronesian migratory waves to East Africa/Madagascar in addition to the direct Indonesia-Madagascar migration, one of which suggests a northerly wave that followed the monsoon route from India to the Somali coast.
NnUpoVC.jpg

There's evidence of an Austronesian mtDNA lineage contributing to the Somali gene pool

s5MqXAf.jpg

One main problem is we can't deduce whether B4a1a1b* is a recent Benadiri/Bajuni/Swahili maternal lineage (they're culturally linked to northern Madagascar and Comoros) or an old deeply rooted ethnic Somali lineage, as most of those Malagasy maternal samples in the picture above are oddly basal instead of forming medieval subclades (maybe that changes going forward).

Interestingly the Malagasy population was founded by a very small a group of people, only 30 women

Those of you who are on 23andme might have also noticed some Somalis get trace 0.1-0.2% Broadly Melanesian. Is it all noise?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian πŸ‡©πŸ‡― | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄
VIP
They reached madagascar only 2,000 years ago.
Cushites were in the horn for at least 5,000 years. These people were probably still colonising Indonesia during that time.

I was reading Ehret's latest book "Ancient Africa: a global history, to 300 CE". In chapter 6 he mentioned there's evidence of the Austronesian ancestors of the Malagasy stopping over on the east African coast before reaching Madagascar. At that point they introduced the chicken, banana, and xylophone to sub-Saharan Africa.

wbfurQC.jpg

uyQc92c.jpeg

As Ehret mentioned above its been postulated there could've been multiple Austronesian migratory waves to East Africa/Madagascar in addition to the direct Indonesia-Madagascar migration, one of which suggests a northerly wave that followed the monsoon route from India to the Somali coast.
NnUpoVC.jpg

There's evidence of an Austronesian mtDNA lineage contributing to the Somali gene pool

s5MqXAf.jpg

One main problem is we can't deduce whether B4a1a1b* is a recent Benadiri/Bajuni/Swahili maternal lineage (they're culturally linked to northern Madagascar and Comoros) or an old deeply rooted ethnic Somali lineage, as most of those Malagasy maternal samples in the picture above are oddly basal instead of forming medieval subclades (maybe that changes going forward).

Interestingly the Malagasy population was founded by a very small a group of people, only 30 women

Those of you who are on 23andme might have also noticed some Somalis get trace 0.1-0.2% Broadly Melanesian. Is it all noise?

Hey I have been discussing this on many threads before 🀣. It’s interesting but it makes sense. The cinnamon route is what they used to call it I believe.

Khaemwaset

VIP
:whoa: Ease up my pro-Cushite friend, no one said they were in Somalia before you
Even if these midget islanders came to the peninsular we genocided them out of existence just like the khoi san hunter gathers.

Even if these midget islanders came to the peninsular we genocided them out of existence just like the khoi san hunter gathers.
You have to rate these austronesians MashaAllah. When I read the Quran and I reach that bit where Allah talks about how he honoured the children of Adam and carried them on land and Sea I immediately think of these people. They literally settled on every island between the Comoros and Madagascar in the west to Hawai on the far far east.

Khaemwaset

VIP
You have to rate these austronesians MashaAllah. When I read the Quran and I reach that bit where Allah talks about how he honoured the children of Adam and carried them on land and Sea I immediately think of these people. They literally settled on every island between the Comoros and Madagascar in the west to Hawai on the far far east.
Facts. I believe they started out in Taiwan (before chinese settlement) and then they moved all around south east asia all the tiny islands in the Pacific that are literally so far away from land.
They went from Madagascar to Hawaii. Crazy mfs. Thousands of years ago as well, no fancy boats. Just a small wooden boat and God given knowledge of the sea.

Facts. I believe they started out in Taiwan (before chinese settlement) and then they moved all around south east asia all the tiny islands in the Pacific that are literally so far away from land.
They went from Madagascar to Hawaii. Crazy mfs. Thousands of years ago as well, no fancy boats. Just a small wooden boat and God given knowledge of the sea.
allegedly they even got to the coast of latin and south america.

NidarNidar

Punisher

wbfurQC.jpg

uyQc92c.jpeg

NnUpoVC.jpg

s5MqXAf.jpg

This explains Papuan and Ancient ancestral south Indian I found on Illustrate, sub saharan Africa is most likely southern cushitics that the lump in with Bantus nowdays.

1692751485529.png

Hey I have been discussing this on many threads before 🀣. It’s interesting but it makes sense. The cinnamon route is what they used to call it I believe.
Your spamming of that haplo partly inspired this thread. :drakekidding:

I never contemplated possible Austronesian ancestry in Somalis bypassing Bantu admixture. So I ignored that maternal lineage as likely a relatively recent Benadiri/Bajuni lineage that came up from Comoros/Madagascar. Thats until my brother got his results back a few weeks ago and read Ehret's book over this past weekend.

Your spamming of that haplo partly inspired this thread. :drakekidding:

I never contemplated possible Austronesian ancestry in Somalis bypassing Bantu admixture. So I ignored that maternal lineage as likely a relatively recent Benadiri/Bajuni lineage that came up from Comoros/Madagascar. Thats until my brother got his results back a few weeks ago and read Ehret's book over this past weekend.
Most of us were still up north when these Austronesians would bring cinnamon to Rhapta and other towns on the coast in what they called Azania. Opone in Xaafuun did have the largest amount of cinnamon. The Austronesians could have brought it directly to Opone. The admixture in us could also be Cushitic mediated who were already engaged with these Austtonesians in the south.

There's an Arabian legend of Hindu era Indonesians invading the Swahili coast in a thousand boats to pillage for ivory, ambergris and slaves. Look at the map I attached up top, all those locations (south east Asia, Madagascar, and another locale south of Sofala) that were called Al-Wakwak/Waqwaq is where they settled.

aG05Jrs.jpg

0Vt3jby.jpg

Last edited:
This explains Papuan and Ancient ancestral south Indian I found on Illustrate, sub saharan Africa is most likely southern cushitics that the lump in with Bantus nowdays.

View attachment 288821
We wuz Indonesian fr :pachah1:

The south Cushites were more Eurasian than us, and they're the ancient reference samples used (Cushitic and Savanna Pastoral Neolithic).

That's the reason for the additional sub-Saharan African/Nilo-Saharan ancestry on our illustrativeDNA results.

Last edited:
There's an Arabian legend of Hindu era Indonesians invading the Swahili coast in a thousand boats to pillage for ivory, ambergris and slaves. Look at the map I attached up top, all those locations that were called Al-Wakwak/Waqwaq is where they settled.

aG05Jrs.jpg

0Vt3jby.jpg
Yep that story is talking about them 100%. They are the only ones that live 1 year distance away (on sea from the eastern shores of Africa and look Turkish which is basically what the old Arabs used to refer as Mongoloid, and were the middle men between the Chinese and their customers on the Western side of the Indian Ocean. Quite fascinating.

Khaemwaset

VIP
Yep that story is talking about them 100%. They are the only ones that live 1 year distance away (on sea from the eastern shores of Africa and look Turkish which is basically what the old Arabs used to refer as Mongoloid, and were the middle men between the Chinese and their customers on the Western side of the Indian Ocean. Quite fascinating.
Imagine if Somali or another Cushitic group picked up such naval traditions. Madagascar wasn't settled till 2, 000 years ago. Cushites lived right across it for millenia till the Bantu came who only started settling the coastal regions during the medieval period but they got enslaved by the Malagasy who ruled madagascar from the Highlands.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
There's an Arabian legend of Hindu era Indonesians invading the Swahili coast in a thousand boats to pillage for ivory, ambergris and slaves. Look at the map I attached up top, all those locations (south east Asia, Madagascar, and another locale south of Sofala) that were called Al-Wakwak/Waqwaq is where they settled.

aG05Jrs.jpg

0Vt3jby.jpg
Wait a minute
Waq waq? Waq=waaq?

Trending