Did somalia ever have a flag?

I'm not talking about the white and blue one, i'm talking before we were colonized, that flag came from italy and it came in 1954.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
yes

Historia | Somalia, History, Somali

x z

±somali supremacist, anti-inceI&queen in the north
the concept of somalia never existed and you are here on about a flag. somalia is a colonial experiment, a failed one at that. somalinimo til i dhimo, somalia laakin idc.

MT Foxtrot

Anti-qabil
the concept of somalia never existed and you are here on about a flag. somalia is a colonial experiment, a failed one at that. somalinimo til i dhimo, somalia laakin idc.

Read Africa's First Democrats by Abdi Ismail Samatar. Somalia was created by the Somali Youth League; a cross-clan political party founded in 1943. They were influenced by the likes of Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, Sheikh Hassan Barsane, and other Somali figures fighting for our nationhood. It was the SYL which conceptualised Greater Somalia; a unification of all Somali-speaking territories. The idea that Somalia was created by colonial authorities is nothing more than a qabilist lie.

Som

VIP
Honestly the only one i found iz the darwish flag on this old italian newspaper. All the other one are just on the internet made with paint or something, i think Ajuuraan was described by some arab travellers if I'm not mistaken. Hobyo looks more like a seal you use on documents.
Any evidence (descriptions by contemporaries, pictures etc ) of the other flags?
DIkf_k_XYAAjW9m.jpg

Som

VIP
Read Africa's First Democrats by Abdi Ismail Samatar. Somalia was created by the Somali Youth League; a cross-clan political party founded in 1943. They were influenced by the likes of Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, Sheikh Hassan Barsane, and other Somali figures fighting for our nationhood. It was the SYL which conceptualised Greater Somalia; a unification of all Somali-speaking territories. The idea that Somalia was created by colonial authorities is nothing more than a qabilist lie.
Actually before SYL the first one to have an early idea of united somalia was Sayyid Mohamed. He never explicitly said it but he united many somali clans from different parts of the country as far as hiiraan. The guy was the first proto somali nationalist

Som

VIP
That's false.
Somalia is actually the only nation-state in africa. We are the only ones who rejected colonial borders when SL and Somalia joined in 1960. Somalia is actually a country that was born because of a strong anti colonial sentiment. Historically colonial powers didn't want us to unite and they opposed SL+Somalia unity. We are litteraly the opposite of a colonial experiment. The Somali republic was infact an Anti-colonial experiment. We can argue that it failed but nevertheless it was clearly something born because of somali nationalism

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
Honestly the only one i found iz the darwish flag on this old italian newspaper. All the other one are just on the internet made with paint or something, i think Ajuuraan was described by some arab travellers if I'm not mistaken. Hobyo looks more like a seal you use on documents.
Any evidence (descriptions by contemporaries, pictures etc ) of the other flags?
DIkf_k_XYAAjW9m.jpg
i have looked for some proof behind the origins of these flags besides the majrteen one witch wrong but haven't found anything

The blue flag was not colonial. It was created for Independence by Mohammed Awale Liban in 1954 and represents the geographic divisions of the Somali People. The first link below the quotes is especially interesting.

"The flag of Somalia (Somali: Calanka Soomaaliyaa, Arabic: علم الصومال‎), also known as the Somali flag, was adopted on October 12, 1954 and was designed by Mohammed Awale Liban. The flag was used for the nascent Somali Republic. It was originally conceived and serves as the ethnic flag for the Somali people.[1]"

"The flag of Somalia was created in 1954 during the transitional trusteeship period of the nation's history. It was personally designed by the Somali scholar Mohammed Awale Liban, Who was from the northern eastern side of Somalia (Puntland) after being selected to come up with a design in preparation for Independence Day[2][3] The flag was first used in the short-lived independent State of Somaliland "

"As an ethnic flag, the five-pointed white Star of Unity in its center represents the areas where the Somali ethnic group has traditionally resided, namely Djibouti, Somaliland (former British protectorate), the Ogaden region in Ethiopia, the North Eastern Province in Kenya, and southern Somalia (former Italian colony). [4][5] However, it now officially denotes the sky as well as the Gulf of Aden, Guardafui Channel and the Somali Sea, which flank the country.[6] "

DIkf_k_XYAAjW9m.jpg

Good job on the Darwish flag!!

A source for the Ajuraan flag would be greatly appreciated. Both Hiirsi and Cassanelli say the Ajuraan were unknown to Muslims outside Somalia.

@Som789 @x z @meelfog @Garen

3 things

1. other than Cadal and maybe Ajuuraan states what evidence is there that the other "states" really had statehod charactetistics like monopoly on legitemate violence which is the big sign of statehood

2. I have to add that that the Northern political parties made unification possible withour the North there is no union.

3. GreaterSomaliLAND happened under the British after WW2 so GreaterSomaliland movement is both a colonial and anticolonial project.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Trending