Did Arabs treat slaves worse than Americans?

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
I highly doubt they were castrating ALL slaves in the early days as the Quraan and Sunnah empathises on the haramness of mutilation. After the first couple of generations people definitely started to become less practising I suppose.
Like you said, castration is haraam so the Ottomans and Arabs purchased already castrated slave boys from Christians in Egypt and Ethiopia. The castration process had a 10% survival rate so eunuchs fetched a very high price. I think they were only used in courts.
All slaves weren't castrated because their were some imported without being castrated and then their nice masters didn't castrate them.
Masters didn't castrate their slaves because it would kill them.
what?? I didnt even know of this
This Wikipedia article goes into the Egyptian involvement but I can't find the Ethiopian part. I did read it somewhere though.
Warning: The description of the castration process is graphic and not for the squeamish.

Marquis

Highly Respected
VIP
Arab slavery was very different to that of white slavery. For starters, it wasn't chattel slavery and children born to slave mothers and free Arab fathers were not enslaved and seen as slaves. They were free citizens. Nor were they looked down upon or seen as tainted.

Also, Arabs enslaved all types of people, black, white, fellow Arabs, Persians you name it. In the early days, slavery wasn't just associated with blackness the way, Americans did. It was associated with defeat.

Furthermore, during the American slave trade, whites used the story of Ham and other biblical scriptures to justify killing and enslaving black people. Whilst iother civilisations such as the Romans, Greeks and Arabs regarded slavery as an outcome of battle defeat and domination, Americans believed that black people were born to be slaves, they looked at them as being inherently inferior, a group bereft of humanity. That type of thinking is pretty unique, considering slavery has existed for millenia.

Then why is black synonymous with slave to Arabs? Why are Circassians for example not referred to us as Abd?

The Whites treated slaves worst. Both the Arab and Atlantic slave trade was bad but we need to contextualize it. The Whites only looked for African slaves, the Arabs had slaves from multiple different backgrounds, they didn't care about race in their slavery. Arabs would mix with their slaves and many Arabs in fact have what the Saudi officials say "Negroid blood."

Som

VIP
The arab slave trade was brutal and in many ways similar to the atlantic one. I would say it was equal to the European one.
The only difference is that a slave could aspire to high postions. In the 16th-17th century a former oromo Ethiopian slave named Malik Ambar became the defacto ruler of large parts of India. Freed slaves become kings, there are entire muslim dynasties that descend from slaves.

Som

VIP
Then why is black synonymous with slave to Arabs? Why are Circassians for example not referred to us as Abd?
Blacks were associated with slavery in the 16th century when the Mali empire was conquered by Morocco.
Before that arabs clearly distinguished between "civilized" muslim blacks and underdeveloped pagan black nations who lived in central africa. Ibn Khaldun and other arab writers talk positively or neutral about the muslim kingdoms of west africa but they are viciously racist when it comes to pagan blacks.The equation between blackness and slavery is relatively recent. In the ancient world being slavic or Germanic looking( white, blonde etc) was associated with slavery.
You should also remember that in ancient arabia Ethiopian slaves at the time of Muhammad were prisoners of war descended from habashi soldiers, Ethiopia ruled over arabia in the 6th century. Bilal ibn rabah was half arab and half black, according go some sources his mother was an Ethiopian princess who was captured after the Ethiopian armies left arabia

Trending