Dhaqan ceelis

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
I don't call my uncles and aunts, adeer/abti /habo/eedo.

My parents got so angry at me for calling them by just only their names, for example, I say, Farah, instead of saying abti Farah. They said they are waraad to me, not a random person, now I will get sent back home ...

Most of the family live overseas, so it feels weird for me to say eedo/adeer :/ I'm not used to it.

Recon Expert

cranking 90s 🥶
If you're going to spend a couple weeks or months with your families who live in a city then it won't be a bad experience.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
Are you really being sent for dhaqan Celis over that?! That seems a bit harsh. Iska sasab your parents.

man 2021 is a hard year for the youts of somspot. So many of you are facing deportation and daqan celis 🙈

Have a bit of akhlaq and listen to your parents. Its a bit mad that you want to go round calling your own aunts and uncles, who are not even remotely the same ages as you by their first name.

Are you really being sent for dhaqan Celis over that?! That seems a bit harsh. Iska sasab your parents.

man 2021 is a hard year for the youts of somspot. So many of you are facing deportation and daqan celis 🙈

Yep its very harsh.

But she's been told it seems multiple times to call her elders by their rightful title. If she can't even listen to her parents pleas over something as simple as that, what else is she refusing to listen to?

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
Have a bit of akhlaq and listen to your parents. Its a bit mad that you want to go round calling your own aunts and uncles, who are not even remotely the same ages as you by their first name.

True, we should maintain etiquette. It happens in reverse too. Some uncles/aunts want to be called by their first name because they are or want to appear young.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
my 6 year old niece and 4 year old nephew keep calling me 'bro' or 'bruh', at least you call them by their names :)

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
I could never call my uncles or aunts by their first name. That is straight out disrespectful.

I had a friend that called his mother and father by their first name growing up.

:mjlol:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Once we called our maternal uncle adeer where we should called him abit. He literally got a little bit mad and said I'm not your adeer you idiots I'm your abti, know the difference, goddimmit!.

This is a important thing in our culture coz adeer is your paternal uncle and it could be any random guy.

Where abti is specifically your maternal uncle and it could not by any random guy. And if anything happens " like your father dies" your abti will be in role of the father in assisting and supporting you and your family, in other words garabtaag.

So calling your abti as adeer, indicates or means that you strip him from that supporting role and make him look as a random guy like any other guy.

"It's like hi you random guy who may not have any family connection with me"

So be careful with this. And learn it, coz by that you learn more about your culture.

Names for family members reflect the culture of the society in which the language is spoken.

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
I don't do it intentionally, its because I never had a connection with them. Ever since my parents made it aware to me, i know from now on to call them abti/habo.

Trending