Descriptions of the sahaba

I've put together this slideshow first describing the arabs as a whole, second describing the sahaba, third describing the prophets(semites) and lastly describing what happened. All my slides are excerpts from history books with no input of my own.

People always mention that bilal was black. The exact word used in several major historybooks was ادم شديد الأدمة which early arab grammarians explained was a near black complexion or as aldhahabi said those whos complexion is similar to black or the people of takrur(west africa).
They conveniently forget to mention that ali ibn abi dalib in, in all those same books is all described using the same words. And so was sa'd ibn waqas the maternal uncle of the prophet. And many ahlu bayt sahaba.

I will translate the slides one by one if allah permits.
Let this be a civilised discussion and whatever winning point you might think yourself to posses i guarantee one of the slides will rebutt it so try not to be too cocky.

People always mention that bilal was black. The exact word used in several major historybooks was ادم شديد الأدمة which early arab grammarians explained was a near black complexion or as aldhahabi said those whos complexion is similar to black or the people of takrur(west africa).
They conveniently forget to mention that ali ibn abi dalib in, in all those same books is all described using the same words. And so was sa'd ibn waqas the maternal uncle of the prophet. And many ahlu bayt sahaba.
Bilal was an arab man of arab lineage.

First slide
Lisaan alarab li ibn mandhour

"Straight hair is the norm amongst the nonarabs such as the romans and persians while course hair is the norm amongst arabs"

Is the average hair type of arabs today and persians wildly different today or the same?

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
@Libaaxseendheer
Umayyad prince of Cordoba
Abd al-Rahman I.jpg

Bilal was an arab man of arab lineage.
Yes ,indeed he was a qureyshi born from a slave women.

Slide 2
There were tribes that had straight hair like the beni sakun but they too were described as brown in tarikh tabari and they were a minority.

Slide 3
Kitab albuldan 9th Century AD

A man of discernment said: The people of Iraq have sound minds, commendable passions,balanced natures, and high proficiency in every art, together with well-proportioned limbs, well-compounded humors, and a brown complexion (sumra al-
alwān), which is the most apt and proper complexion. They are those whom the womb has
well-backed
, and didn’t expel them fair
-skinned....

Slide 5
siyar a'lam an-nubala

"And red in the speech of the hijazi is a pale white and that is rare amongst them and regarding this is the saying " a red man as if he's of the slaves" the speakers means he's of the colour of the slaves captured from the christians of rome, syria and persia.

Furthermore if the arabs say so and so is white they mean a wheat coloured person with a black appearance(hilyatin sawdaa). If it is regarding the colour of indians it is said brown and dark( asmar wa adam) and if it is regarding the blackness of takrur(west africa) it is said black(aswad) and likewise any one whose overwhelmed by blackness is called black(aswad) or very dark(shadid al udmah)"

(Very critical to grasp is this term, abyad. White to the arabs meant a wheat coloured person ie a golden brown person, similar to the somali use of 'cad' . Only a handful of arabs were described as such, one of which is the beloved saw. Most were described as brown or black)

Slide 2:25
Taaj al'arus
(and red is designated for the non arabs) because of their whiteness and because pale skin is the most common skintone found amongst them and the arabs would say that of those which white is the most common skintone like the romans and the persians.....and if the arabs say so and so is white they mean a noble character not the colour of the skin. And if they say so an so is red they mean a white skintone."

(Basically the arab equivalent of 'dhegacas'. Note the second meaning of white aswell: an honourable character. There is one more definition of white for a total of 3 meanings of white aside from the whiteness of persians and romans.)

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Libaaxseendheer I look forward to reading your findings regarding this subject.

Slide 2:16
Fakhr assudan 'la albidan
" we know that allah almighty has brough forth his prophet for the entirety of humanity, for arabs and non arabs. And if he the prophet said " i was brought forth for the reds and the blacks" and we are not red, he has been sent to us and verily we are categorized by his saying "black"(aswad). And humanity is either one of these two categories. If the arabs are of the reds then they have joined the likes of the romans, siqalabah, persians khorasan and if theyre of the the blacks, they are befit with our name and verily they are described as dark(adam), brown(asmar) and black(suud) when they have joined our likes"

(The title literally translates to the boast of the blacks over the whites. It was written by the all too famous pureblood black arab poet of the 2nd-3rd century of the hijra aljahiz albasri(born in @Basra iraq). He was present for the racial dynamic shift that was taking place as the power shifted from the arabs to the persians during the abbasid caliphate so he contrived a racial pride book where in which he praises all things black and claims the blacks outnumber the whites, including in his numerics the zanj the arabs the indians, and listing literally black notable people and arab tribes, not the brown or light brown ones mind you. Even if you do a quick google search you will find a black portrait in his search results)

Slide 2:56
Lisan al'arab

"And green(khudra) in the speech of the people is brown(sumra)
Al-lahabi thus said:" i am the green(akhdar) one who knows of me? The greenest skin in the house of the arabs"
He is saying" i am pure" because the skin of arabs is brown(sumra)
Altahdhib:in this verse are two interpretations one of which is that he means the 'the black-skinned one(aswad al-jildah)" and abu dalib an-nahwi said that he meant he was of the pure arabs and of their unmixed, because the majority of arab skintone is dark(udmah). And ibn barri said "this verse is attributed to al-lahabi and he is al-Fadl ibn 'abbas bin 'utbah bin Abi Lahab , and what he meant by greenness(al-khudra) was the browness of skin(sumrata lawnihi) and what he meant by that was the pureness of his lineage and that he was a pure arab, because the arabs describe their skin as black(sawad) and describe the skin of non-arabs as red(humra)..."
( this alfadl al-lahabi was the great grandson of abu lahab, the uncle of the propet.)

Asmar, akhdar and aswad are all terms still in use by sudanese arabs, asmar being brown, akhdar dark brown and aswad more black than brown. Heres an AJ video addressing the problem of colourism in sudan, this will prove helpful later when we arrive at bilal rac and abu dar rac.

Slide 3:53
Lisaan ul-arab

"By the green ghassan and green muharib is meant the blackness of their colour(sawaada lawnihim)"
(The ghassanid were the northern arabs who founded the great ghassanid empire in the levant, their descendants of the the four fleeting azd of yemen

Banu Muharib was an Arab tribe during the Islamic prophet Muhammad's era. During the Invasion of Thi Amr Muhammad ordered a military raid against them. He ordered his men to raid the Banu Muharib and Banu Talabah tribes after he received intelligence that they were allegedly going to raid the outskirts of Medina[1][2]

Ghwarath ibn al-Harith (also known as Du'thar ibn al-Harith) is from this tribe.[2]

After the Muslim Conquest of Iraq the tribe settled in al-Kufah [3]
)

3:56
Lisan al 'arab

"And udma(darkness) is browness(sumrah) and a person who is dark(adam) is brown(asmar)"

4:00
Fakhr as-sudan
"And arabs pride themselves in blackskin, and if it is asked," if thats the case why do they say so and so is bright, shining, white and blazingly white?" We say to them it is not meant the whiteness of skin, but it is meant the nobility of character and its purity, the green muharrib have already boasted that they're black, and black to the the arabs is green(wa sawad 'inda al'rab alakhdar)"
" and the Banu Mughira are the green of the Banu Makhzoum, and 'umar bin Abi Rabi'ah bin Mughira alMakhzoumi said, attributing it to alFadl bin 'abbas al-Lahabi:" I am the green one who knows of me, the greenest skin in the house of the arabs....and the greens of the ghassan are the Banu Jufnah, the kings."
(The prophet's saw father's maternal lineage was Banu Makhzoumi. All though theyre all racially black the banu makhzoum were especially darkskinned, kinda like reer khalaf and omar mahmoud)
@CaliTedesse This is your tribal alias

4:37
Fakhr as-sudan
"And we say God almighty has not made us (zanj)black to make us ugly
But it is infact the land that has made us so, and the prove is that within the arabs are black tribes like the Banu Sulaym bin Mansur and every tribe that settled in the Harra besides the Banu Sulaym are all black.

Our blackness oh the people of zanj isn't different go the blackness of the banu sulaym and those arab tribes we have listed for you in this literature"

About the Bani Sulaym

Now the Banu Sulaym are no insignificant or irrelevant tribe, being the cause of the arabization of the Maghrib. They were expelled from the levant by the Fatimids and to Egypt eventually immigrating to the Maghrib, many notable Sahaba were from the Banu Sulaym.
There are currently some 1 million Sulaymis in Sudan, but rather than the Maghrebi Sulaymi explain why they are not black, it is the Sudanese Sulaymi who are subjected to a false narrative of becoming black through intermixture.

The Banu Sulaym (بنو سليم) were an Arab tribe that dominated part of the Hejaz in the pre-Islamic era. They maintained close ties with the Quraysh of Mecca and the inhabitants of Medina, and fought in a number of battles against the Islamic prophet Muhammad before ultimately converting to Islam before his demise in 632. They took part in the Muslim conquest of the Levant, and established themselves in Upper Mesopotamia, whilst part of the tribe remained in the Hejaz. During the early Muslim era, the tribe produced noted generals such as Safwan ibn Mu'attal, Abu'l-A'war and Umayr ibn al-Hubab. Those who remained in Arabia were largely absorbed by the Banu Harb of Yemen beginning in the 9th century, while those in Syria, Mesopotamia were expelled to Upper Egypt by the Fatimid Caliphs in the late 10th century for assisting the Qarmatians. In the mid-11th century, a prolonged famine in Egypt prompted the tribe to migrate westward with the Banu Hilal into Libya. The Sulaym and its sub-tribes established themselves mainly in Cyrenaica,Libya, where until the present day, many of the Arab tribes of that region trace their descent to the Sulaym.

Slide 4:59
The arab prince by the 19th century Rudolf Ernst
85555ee35185d3d50566eede833a7c97.jpg

5:20
Arab chieftain and his entourage
Adolf-schreyer-arab-chieftain-and-his-entourage.jpeg

5:30
Lisan al 'arab

"And if arabs say a guy is white(abyad)or a girl is white they mean a noble character not the colour of the skin. And if they say a guy is red(ahmar) or a girl is red(hamra') they mean they are white skinned"

"When arabs say so and so is white they mean a character free from stain and degrading things they do not mean the whiteness of the skin but rather they mean it as praise of honour and the absence of that which is degrading of character. And if they say so an so has a white face they mean a skintone free from blemishes and unattractive discolouration "
(@CaliTedesse @Suldaanka @Lolalola @Apollo @SOMALI GENERAL
So far i've listed 4 meanings of white, 3 of which are skin related.
One meaning is a golden brown colour modestly rare amongst the early arabs, another is clear skin, be it brown or even black(its to do with clarity), another meaning is to have a noble character free from improper conduct, the other meaning is the skin of the persians and romans which more often then not was just referred to as red
It is noteworthy that the sudanese call the egyptians and peninsular arabs Ahmar to this day )

But people try to claim that he was a black man or habashei
When they say he is black they mean his skin colour not bantu. He inherited from his mother his slave status and thus her ethnicity.

Slide 2:56
Lisan al'arab

"And green(khudra) in the speech of the people is brown(sumra)
Al-lahabi thus said:" i am the green(akhdar) one who knows of me? The greenest skin in the house of the arabs"
He is saying" i am pure" because the skin of arabs is brown(sumra)
Altahdhib:in this verse are two interpretations one of which is that he means the 'the black-skinned one(aswad al-jildah)" and abu dalib an-nahwi said that he meant he was of the pure arabs and of their unmixed, because the majority of arab skintone is dark(udmah). And ibn barri said "this verse is attributed to al-lahabi and he is al-Fadl ibn 'abbas bin 'utbah bin Abi Lahab , and what he meant by greenness(al-khudra) was the browness of skin(sumrata lawnihi) and what he meant by that was the pureness of his lineage and that he was a pure arab, because the arabs describe their skin as black(sawad) and describe the skin of non-arabs as red(humra)..."
( this alfadl al-lahabi was the great grandson of abu lahab, the uncle of the propet.)
@Lolalola what are your thoughts

6:27
Tarikh altabari

"And the children of shem settled in magdal, center of the earth, and this is from sidama to the ocean and yemen to syria, God gave them prophethood and the books and beauty and darkskin(udmah) and clear skin(bayad)
And the children of ham....they were given darkskin(udmah) and few were clear skinned."
"And ham fathered the egyptians, the sudanese and the berbers"
"And of them is Nimrod and he is Nimrod bin Kush bin Ham"

Description of the Sahaba and kings

Tarikh alkhulafa lil suyudi
Description ali ibn abi talib rac
" Ali was heavy-built man,bald, leaning slight towards shortness, he had a large stomach and a very large beard that filled the space between his two shoulders, white like it was cotton, and he was dark extremely dark"

Fusul almuhimah li ibn sibagh
Description ali ibn abi talib rac
"And ibn munda has related that he was extremely dark, large bearded, heavy eyed, and the largest of them stomach wise, and he was closer to short."

Tarikh alya'quubi
Description of umar ibn khattab rac
"He was tall, bald and extremely dark"

Ansab alashraaf lil baladuri
Description of 'uthman bin bin 'affaan
"..He was neither tall nor short, he had a handsome face..large beard and brown skin(asmar al-lawn)"

Fusul almuhim
Ja'far alsadiq rac
"He was brown skinned(udmi al-lawn)"

(He is one of the 12 imams shia'a venerate)

Tarikh alrusul wa almuluk
Mohamed alnafs alzaki
"I am descended from the Prophet (SAWS) from my mother's side AND my father's side. I am the purest of Bani Hashim (the branch of Quraish that the Prophet Mohamed (SAWS) is from) in genealogy and the noblest of them both paternally AND maternally. NO NON-ARAB BLOOD RUNS THROUGH MY VEINS!"

(Muhammad alnafs alzakiya(literally meaning pure soul because of his pure qurayshi genealogy)felt that he had more of a claim to the throne than abu ja'far almansur, second caliph of the 'abbasids, who was son of a berber women. How do you expect this man to look like, maybe like muhammad bin salman?)

Tarikh alrusul
"Muhammad was dark extremely dark, pitch black large and tall body. His nickname was the charcoal because of his blackness, even so much so that Abu Ja'far use to call him the burnt-face one"

Last edited by a moderator:
@Libaaxseendheer
I have some questions.

1)What happened to the original Arabs?
2) Ive heard the Arabs of Hejaz are of persian,turk and central asian descent. Is there any truth to this
They've been absorbed by persians near the gulf and by turks in the hejaz and yemen. Keep in mind during the conquest of ethiopia arabia was still largely sudani(black). The bulk of the demographic change happened in the last 300-400 years. Research the mamluk sultanate.
I will get to what happened during the end slides. There are hadiths that prophesize of it as well that i will mention.

The Mamluk Sultanate (Arabic: سلطنة المماليك‎, romanized: Salṭanat al-Mamālīk) was a medieval realm spanning Egypt, the Levant, and Hejaz. It lasted from the overthrow of the Ayyubid dynasty until the Ottoman conquest of Egypt in 1517. Historians have traditionally broken the era of Mamlūk rule into two periods—one covering 1250–1382, the other, 1382–1517. Western historians call the former the "Baḥrī" period and the latter the "Burjī" due to the political dominance of the regimes known by these names during the respective eras. Contemporary Muslim historians refer to the same divisions as the "Turkic"[3][4][5][6][7] and "Circassian" periods in order to stress the change in the ethnic origins of the majority of Mamlūks.[3][4][5][6][7]

Thankfully Allah has preserved the largest pure arab population in ours truly, EAST AFRICA- HORN-SUDAN

God bless the grave of :it0tdo8:imam muhammad ahmad al-mahdi:it0tdo8:, he defeated the british and egyptians and formed a black arab nation.:it0tdo8: what do we have to fear when the children of the sahaba are amongst us Tallah Tallah!:it0tdo8:

Siyar a'lam alnubalai

"Sa'd was course haired, hairy bodied , brown(adam)(extremely dark in some narrations) flat-nosed and tall"
(Sa'd ibn waqas maternal uncle of the prophet rac.)

Siyar a'lam
"he was brown(adam) and large bodied"

(Ali bin abdallah bin abbas bin abd mutallib, nephew of the prophet, named after imam ali rac)

Futuh almisr by ibn abd hakim

"And 'amr bin al'as sent him with a group 10 individuals for convening with muqawqis(a greek ruler of egypt). And 'ubada bin alsamit was black skinned(aswad al-lawn). When they boarded the ship to muqawqis and 'ubadah entered upon him,
Muqawqis was frightened of him because of his blackness , then he said"
Get this black man away from me and send forward someone else to speak to me!" The others said, "Verily this black-skinned man is the most superior of us in opinion and knowledge. He is our master and the best amongst us and the preferred above us. We all follow his word and his opinion. The Amir (Commander) gave him command instead of us and he commanded us to obey him." Muqawqis then said to the delegation, "How can you be content with this black-skinned person being the most superior of you?! He should be the lowest of you." The members of the delegation then said, "No way! Verily, even though he is black-skinned, as you can see, he is from amongst the most superior of us in rank and priority and in intelligence, sense and judgement. Black skin is something normal amongst us." Maqawqis then said to Ubada, "Come forward oh black one and speak softly to me. Your blackness frightens me. If you speak too loudly you will make me more afraid." Ubada then came forward and said, "I've heard what you said and I inform you that amongst my companions that I left behind me in my camp are 1000 men as black as I am and blacker than I am and more shocking in appearance! If you saw them, you would be more afraid of them than you are of me!"
('Ubada was also very tall, upwards of 7ft tall)

'Amr bin 'aas the commander of the conquest of Egypt was also black.

"He was brown, extremely brown, tall, and bald peace be upon him"

Ibn kathir:bidayah wa nihayah

(Terms that mean brown like asmar and adam if prefixed by extremely(shadid) mean black, as we know even the darkest humans are really just a very dark brown)

During the conquest of Egypt, Umar ibn Al-Khattab sent 4000 soldiers as reinforcements for Amru ibn Al-Aas and he assigned four men to command 1000 of the soldiers each. These four men were Ubaada ibn Al-Samit, Al-Zubair ibn Al-Awwam, Miqdad ibn Amru, and Maslama ibn Mukhallid.

Description of zubair bin al'awwam
From siyar alsahabah lil asbahani

"He was a man not very tall nor very short , slightly thin not of heft, thin bearded, and brown skin and hairy"
وَكَانَ رَجُلًا لَيْسَ بِالطَّوِيلِ وَلَا بِالْقَصِيرِ، إِلَى الْخِفَّةِ، مَا هُوَ" فِي اللَّحْمِ، وَلِحْيَتُهُ خَفِيفَةٌ أَسْمَرَ اللَّوْنِ أَشْعَرَ"
(Dont think those I fail to give a description of are any different its just finding one verse of thousands of pages is taxing, as you might imagine)

Siyar a'lam alnubalai

"Sa'd was course haired, hairy bodied , brown(adam)(extremely dark in some narrations) flat-nosed and tall"
(Sa'd ibn waqas maternal uncle of the prophet rac.)
Adam is actually darker than asmar according to some ancient scholars
"Udmah in the colour of people is an extreme brown(alsumrah alshadidah)"
"الأدمة‏ ‏في‏ ‏الناس‏ ‏هي‏ ‏‏السمرة‏ ‏الشديدة"
Majdu diin alsa'aadah in his book nihayah fi gharib alhadith wa athar

'Amr bin 'aas the commander of the conquest of Egypt was also black.

"He was brown, extremely brown, tall, and bald peace be upon him"

Ibn kathir:bidayah wa nihayah

(Terms that mean brown like asmar and adam if prefixed by extremely(shadid) mean black, as we know even the darkest humans are really just a very dark brown)
"
وكان أسمر، شديد السمرة، طويلا، أصلع رضي الله عنه"

Siyar a'lam alnubala

Description of muhammad bin maslamah, an a fellow ansar and khazraji like 'ubada bin alsamit who accompanied him in the conquest of egypt.
"Muhammad bin maslamah was black(aswad) tall and huge"

Siyar a'lam alnubala

Description if abu dar alghafari rac
"He was brown(adam), huge build, with a huge bearded"

Fusul almuhim
Musa alkadim rac
"He was black(shadid alsumra)"
Also "his description has black(asmar 'amiq)
He's the ahlu bayt that isaq claim descent from and the 7th imam of the shia
@Lolalola

Siyar a'lam alnubala

Description if abu dar alghafari rac
"He was brown(adam), huge build, with a huge bearded"
It is known by many that abu dar called bilal son of a black women in a fit of anger, bilal indeed like so:
download (7).jpeg

But this was not a case of racism, where the white arab abu dar was racist to the black habeshi bilal, because abu dar was racially a black arab man himself albeit brown in skintone(adam) like so:
A_Somali_man.jpeg

This was rather the sentiment of an angry person and colorism, it was no more than that. Abu dar later apologized for referring to bilal's mother disrespectfully. Colorism existed in arabia then, as it does now in sudan and other black nations albeit much worse today.
For how could abu dar or any arab truly despise black when the imam of the muslims Ali ibn abi dalib was just as black, and even Moses Kalimullah was black, raven-like black?

Black palestinian arab chief
0:38
@Samaalic Era
The turks have overrun the arabs into obscurity and now the same is being done to them.

Siyar a'lam
Description of abu hureirah
"Abu hureirah was big bearded and brown(asmar)"

Description of zayd bin alkhattab brother of the amiir
"He was brown and very tall"

Fakhr alsudan 'la al baydan
"The ten lordly sons of 'abd almutallib were pitch black(dalma) and huge, 'aamir bin tufayl looked at them circumambulating like they were black camels and said with their likes has the custody of the ka'ba been entrusted.
Abdallah bin 'abbas(bin 'abda almutallib) was pitch black and huge, the family of abi talib(bin abd mutallib) the most noble of God's creations were black, dark and pitch black(dalma)"
(The prophet SAW was son of Abdallah bin Abdal mutallib)

Why are you so obsessed with this shit. No one cares. You sound like one of those people who like to claim carab history. The point is, Did you fucking get the Islamic message?

Lisan al'arab
"And in the verse of 'antarah " I desired to go to a well on a black night, pitch black, like the colour of adlam"

(Antarah bin shidad was one of the arab crows, poets called so because of their resemblance to a crow, they say he was black because of his ethiopian mother, but he was from Banu 'abs of Ghatafan, another notoriously black tribe:
when Duraid al-simma, a famous Arab hero, raided the tribe of Ghatafan he told his companion to look and tell him what he saw. His companion said " i see black-skinned men shaking their spears and digging theirr feet into the earth," Duraid then said "That is the tribe of 'abs"-'iqd al-fariid

Why are you so obsessed with this shit. No one cares. You sound like one of those people who like to claim carab history. The point is, Did you fucking get the Islamic message?
I did receive the islamic message, alhamdulilah. I think we can both agree the prophet was no idle talker , yet there are quite a few sahih narrations of him describing the colour of the prophets before him. Why did he do that, is not their message of monotheism all that is important? It is not of the most vital importance, true, but, not everything discussed is life or death, in fact most aren't. This is simply a historical discussion, reading from history books, written by muslim historians and muhidiths, who also felt the need to describe the prophet's physical attributes. Were they 'obsessed' ?

Siyar a'lam
Description of hakim bin hizam rac
"He was extremely dark and he was thin"

He was the nephew of Khadija bint Khuwaylid rac

Siyar a'lam alnubala

Abu al'abbas al-Walid the sixth Ummayad Caliph
"He was tall and brown(asmar)"

Description of qidamah bin madh'un
"He was brown(asmar) and tall may Allah be pleased with him"

Siyar a'lam
Description of 'umar bin 'abd al'aziz the eight Umayyad Caliph
"He was brown(asmar) with a thin face"

Siyar a'lam
Description of Yazid bin alwalid the twelfth Umayyad Caliph
"He was a brown(asmar) young man"

Samaalic Era

QurboExit

Your misunderstanding sxb. He is only describing the early Arabs until there was a demographic shift.

I've met quite a few of his kind. This information is at odds with their inner coon spirits so they respond in funny passive aggressive comments. Loool
coon spirits LMAO
said by the Arab bootyclapper using religion to feel closer to people that have nothing to do with his kind. Indonesians don't bootyclap to Arabs why can't somalis just be religious and stop taking pride in someone else's history?

coon spirits LMAO
said by the Arab bootyclapper using religion to feel closer to people that have nothing to do with his kind. Indonesians don't bootyclap to Arabs why can't somalis just be religious and stop taking pride in someone else's history?
Somali bin ham bin noah
Arab bin sam bin naoh
Somali and arabs are brothers

Trending