Description of Hellfire

''Umar ibn Khattab [may Allaah be pleased with him], said: Jibril went to the Prophet [صلى الله عليه وسلم] during a time which he would not usually come to him.
The Prophet [ صلى الله عليه وسلم] said, 'O Jibril, why do I see that your color has changed?'
He said, 'I did not come to you until Allaah ordered for the opening of the Hellfire.'
The Prophet [ صلى الله عليه وسلم] said, 'O Jibril, describe the Hellfire to me.'
He said, 'Allaah ordered for it, and it was ignited upon for 1000 years until it became red.
Then it was ignited upon for 1000 years until it became white. And then it was ignited upon for 1000 years until it became black.
It is black and dark. Its sparks do not give light and its blaze does not extinguish.''
And he said, ''By the one who has sent you with the truth, were a ring from the rings of the chain that Allaah described in his Book to be placed on a mountain of this world, it would melt it.''
Then the Prophet [صلى الله عليه وسلم] said: ''That is sufficient for me, O Jibril. Do not split my heart.''
The Messenger of Allaah [صلى الله عليه وسلم] looked and saw Jibril crying. He said: 'O Jibril, you are crying, though you have a very high status with Allaah?''
He said: ''And what should prevent me from crying when I do not know whether, in the knowledge of Allaah, I will be in another state [situation], for Ibliss was once with the angels.
Also, Haaroot and Maaroot were from the angels.''
They, the Prophet and Jibril cried together, until it was called out:
''O Muhammad and Jibril, Allaah has indeed secure you both from his anger.''
Jibril then rose and the Prophet [ صلى الله عليه وسلم] went out.
He passed a group of a his companions who were talking and laughing. He said: ''You are laughing, though the Hellfire is behind you [coming from behind you, meaning the Day of Resurrection is approaching and near)!
Were you to know what I know, you would have laughed only a little, and you would have cried much, and you would have went out to the highlands, praying ardently to Allaah.
Then Allaah revealed, ''O Muhammad, I indeed sent you as a bearer of glad tidings.''
Then, the Messenger of Allaah [صلى الله عليه وسلم]said: ''Rejoice, Saddidoo [be upon uprightness in action and correctness in speech]. and Qaariboo [come as close as you can to uprightness in action and speech].''

[Book Of the End, Ibn Kathir, Pages 515-517]

Trending