Depression Culture

Exodus

Alienist
this was beautiful mashallah. but my sister who is a healthcare professional told me to watch what i tell health care professionals because it could be in your record forever. we know a somali girl right now who has trouble getting a job and even getting a house because she told a doctor one time that she felt suicidal.
:vanlf9a:

Don't pay attention to this. I'm in Medical school right now, and we have countless classes on respecting Patient confidentiality. It is legally binding that anything you say to your psychiatrist/therapist is strictly between Patient and Physician. Never be afraid to talk honestly to your therapist/doctor

Last edited:
:vanlf9a:

Don't pay attention to this, I'm in Medical school right now, and we have countless classes on respecting Patient confidentiality. It is legally binding that anything you say to your psychiatrist/therapist is strictly between Patient and Physician. Never be afraid to talk honestly to your therapist.
i know someone personally who was denied a job and a house because they check your mental stability. everyone knows this.my teacher alluded to something like this before. also i said a physician not a therapist. im just trying to help someone else from making the same mistake.

i know someone personally who was denied a job and a house because they check your mental stability. everyone knows this.my teacher alluded to something like this before. also i said a physician not a therapist. im just trying to help someone else from making the same mistake.

Like the person above me said, it’s wrong and you can pursue legal action bc it’s a form of discrimination + breached confidentiality agreement. Maybe the person told the job and housing that they had a mental illness? Obv I’m assuming here but sometimes people in vulnerable situations disclose a lot of info in hopes that it helps their case.

Exodus

Alienist
It is illegal to deny a job based on mental health conditions in the Western world. This goes against our human rights. Denying a house based on mental health makes 0 sense, why would that be a factor?

You're lying.

It is illegal to deny a job based on mental health conditions in the Western world. This goes against our human rights. Denying a house based on mental health makes 0 sense, why would that be a factor?

You're lying.

Yes it’s illegal but it happens. Can’t say that @Rose is 100% lying but I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that happened especially to people who don’t know their rights.

You're lying.
the fact that you just assume im lying when you don't know me when you can just search it up is why i hate somali people. dont be a doctor because you'll be a horrible one
"We heard that tenants with mental health disabilities and addictions often face challenges in accessing and maintaining safe and affordable housing. These challenges are worsened by the stereotypes and stigma that surround mental illness"

Exodus

Alienist
the fact that you just assume im lying when you don't know me when you can just search it up is why i hate somali people. dont be a doctor because you'll be a horrible one
"We heard that tenants with mental health disabilities and addictions often face challenges in accessing and maintaining safe and affordable housing. These challenges are worsened by the stereotypes and stigma that surround mental illness"
Nice ad hominem. You're a liar AND a self-hater, mashallah.

You give me passages from unknown sources, I give you the law;
http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/human-rights-and-mental-health-fact-sheet

Exodus

Alienist
Yes it’s illegal but it happens. Can’t say that @Rose is 100% lying but I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that happened especially to people who don’t know their rights.
Normally, I'd reserve judgment but you have to understand, there are so many things wrong with this story. International law and human rights have been broken like 3 different times, and if the person in this story didn't go to court and get millions for this case, they're idiots.

Someone is lying here, either the User or the person in this story.

@Rose and @Exodus - walaalo, both of you are right. You should get professional help when needed for mental health concerns, and legally, your physician cannot disclose your information to anyone without government intervention usually. Some mental health problems can be used to decide on certain professions (ex. someone with a history of paranoid schizophrenia may need to be advised against becoming a kindergarten teacher). Please don't argue. Both of you were posting helpful items before this became a "Somali moment" lol

no disrespect @astorecalledkmart you gave good and well meant advice, but that advice works for someone who has depression because they're going through rough times. Its not really the same for someone who suffers from major clinical depression.

no disrespect @astorecalledkmart you gave good and well meant advice, but that advice works for someone who has depression because they're going through rough times. Its not really the same for someone who suffers from major clinical depression.

Very insightful walaal, jazakAllah khair. My advice is in general, for those with and without depression. As you suggest, major depression has many facets to it that require treatment from many angles, pharmacological, psychological, and spiritual.

Very insightful walaal, jazakAllah khair. My advice is in general, for those with and without depression. As you suggest, major depression has many facets to it that require treatment from many angles, pharmacological, psychological, and spiritual.
very true. to treat depression you have to take care of your mind, body, and soul. I think in our day and age depression is mostly caused imbalances in the body (because of all of the chemicals in the food and enviroment) so our body is more likely than ever to suffer from disturbances that lead to mental disorders and then worsened by the lack of spirituality and other hardships in our lives

and on top of that all the hedonism makes it even worse. people are so used to instant gratification that they've lost all patience and ability to handle any burdens...

My story:

I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia in 2012. I used to hear voices from jinns. I used to have nightmares and I was undiagnosed first for almost a year and I went to multiple sheikhs (did Ruqya) nothing worked. Then somehow my relatives informed my gp about my symptoms and my doctor adviced my family that I should be forced into a medical hospital and I was arrested and sectioned for up to 6 months. The doctors couldn’t find my illness up until 2016 when I was prescribed (lithium). This medication changed my life I got back into university in 2017 and I’m about to graduate this year Insha Allah. The downside is I’ve gained over 25kg but I worked hard and I might be off medication this year.

I want to inspire those who are mentally unstable that anything is possible (there is light at the end of tunnel). I prayed and begged Allah and asked for repentance for all my sins.

Please make dua for me and I will do the same.

May Allah give you health brother. Thank you for sharing your story. That is a tremendous accomplishment to be graduating after such trials mashaAllah! May Allah make it easy for you. Perfect example of getting help, taking medicine, and using the deen

May Allah give you health brother. Thank you for sharing your story. That is a tremendous accomplishment to be graduating after such trials mashaAllah! May Allah make it easy for you. Perfect example of getting help, taking medicine, and using the deen

I was against the plan of Allah. When Allah had a master plan for me.

Trending