dear somalis: if you were to marry a non somali, what ethnicity would be most accepted by your beoble?

Apollo

VIP
@Abba Sadacha

Somali-Oromo marriages are not interracial or intercultural. Especially where I'm from originally.

They are the same people.

We look similar (Somalis and Oromos), but there are genuine genetic differences. :browtf:

It is sort of like a Basque and a mainstream Spaniard mixing, they look similar, but truly have somewhat different genetics.

We look similar (Somalis and Oromos), but there are genuine genetic differences. :browtf:

It is sort of like a Basque and mainstream Spaniard mixing, they look similar, but truly have somewhat different genetics.

Oromos are a huge ethnicity. The ones who border the Somalis, I suspect are of the same origin. Would be good for Arsi/Hararghe Oromos to do a DNA test.

Apollo

VIP
Oromos are a huge ethnicity. The ones who border the Somalis, I suspect are of the same origin. Would be good for Arsi/Hararghe Oromos to do a DNA test.

Generally, the ones on the East are closer to Somalis. The ones near the Omotic or Amhara border the least. But lots of Oromos have been moving around inside Oromia since Ethiopia experienced an economic boom that these regional Oromo distinctions might disappear in the future.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Oromos don't really have strong regional or tribal identities?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

Still somewhat distant. Oromos look better than Habeshis but they are different. There are however some Somalized Oromo and a couple Oromized Somalis. No doubt those ones have more admixture.

Alot of Canadian Sspoters say its very common and normalised.:idontlike:

I'd love to see it but I haven't. For starters there aren't many Oromos I know. Most Somalis end up with each other.

Generally, the ones on the East are closer to Somalis. The ones near the Omotic or Amhara border the least. But lots of Oromos have been moving around inside Oromia since Ethiopia experienced an economic boom that these regional Oromo distinctions might disappear in the future.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Oromos don't really have strong regional or tribal identities?

I remember last time I asked @Abba Sadacha and he did confirm to me that Oromos have clans/tribes. It would be good if he confirmed this. But I assume that they are heterogeneous.

@Apollo I haven't seen many Oromo DNA results. Do you know what their results would look like?

Still somewhat distant. Oromos look better than Habeshis but they are different. There are however some Somalized Oromo and a couple Oromized Somalis. No doubt those ones have more admixture.

I'd love to see it but I haven't. For starters there aren't many Oromos I know. Most Somalis end up with each other.

I haven't really seen many Oromo DNA results. Would be interesting to see though. For example, the Nole, Jarso and and perhaps a portion of the Karayu I suspect will be indistinguishable from Somalis.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I haven't really seen many Oromo DNA results. Would be interesting to see though. For example, the Nole, Jarso and and perhaps a portion of the Karayu I suspect will be indistinguishable from Somalis.

I highly doubt they are the same. Oromos are heterogenous in their genetic profile. Even those similar to Somalis would look distinguishable.

Regg

Stroking my Australinimo
Based on my observation, 99% are Horner Muslims and Yemenis for obvious reasons (easy fitting due to cultural similarities).

Other ethnicities are very rare.

for us oromos/ethiopians, we'd marry eritreans and somalis, seeing as how we all have the same shiny, prominent, beautiful foreheads and other features in common. religion is the most important thing, or should be.
what say you guys?
for the brazers: let's say you were to marry a non somali woman, a muslim though, what would you think your parents would accept more? ethio [could be harari, silte, gurage, oromo, afar] or eritrean [saho, afar again lol, tigre]
for the sistars: same question!
anything majority muslim ethnicity

for us oromos/ethiopians, we'd marry eritreans and somalis, seeing as how we all have the same shiny, prominent, beautiful foreheads and other features in common. religion is the most important thing, or should be.
what say you guys?
for the brazers: let's say you were to marry a non somali woman, a muslim though, what would you think your parents would accept more? ethio [could be harari, silte, gurage, oromo, afar] or eritrean [saho, afar again lol, tigre]
for the sistars: same question!

Probably Canfar.