Cultural influence between Somali and Yemen

Nafiso Qalanjo

๐–‚๐–Š'๐–—๐–Š ๐–Œ๐–”๐–Ž๐–“๐–Œ ๐–™๐–” ๐–œ๐–†๐–— ๐–‡๐–†๐–‡๐–ž!
Some people when talking about Somali history at some point mention our influence from the middle east and india , but no one talks about how Somalis influenced Yemen.

We have a long trade history with yemen. I believe Somalis influenced a lot in yemenis culture. From drugs to some cultural clothing.

First off Yemenis chew khat which is an east African drug that is only grown in east africa. I belive Somali merchants introduced it to them, and as for macawis thats a pretty conterversial one. Some people say it originated from yemen, while others including say it was introduced by somalis to the yemeni culture.

Yemen arab men like any other arab men wear the khamis, but yemenis are the only Arabs that has macawis as apart of their traditional attire. If this was truely a yemeni arab traditional clothing than all arabs would wear macwis dont you think?

I believe their are more ways we influenced yemen but these are the only things that come up in my mind right now. If you know any other way influenced yemenis culture let me know.

Ok im done with my ranting
Imma go to sleep

Som

VIP
Some people when talking about Somali history at some point mention our influence from the middle east and india , but no one talks about how Somalis influenced Yemen.

We have a long trade history with yemen. I believe Somalis influenced a lot in yemenis culture. From drugs to some cultural clothing.

First off Yemenis chew khat which is an east African drug that is only grown in east africa. I belive Somali merchants introduced it to them, and as for macawis thats a pretty conterversial one. Some people say it originated from yemen, while others including say it was introduced by somalis to the yemeni culture.

Yemen arab men like any other arab men wear the khamis, but yemenis are the only Arabs that has macawis as apart of their traditional attire. If this was truely a yemeni arab traditional clothing than all arabs would wear macwis dont you think?

I believe their are more ways we influenced yemen but these are the only things that come up in my mind right now. If you know any other way influenced yemenis culture let me know.

Ok im done with my ranting
Imma go to sleep
Some of the Yemeni population probably has somali origin. Most of the somali influence though is relatively recent. In the late 18th and early to mid 19th century many somalis used to trade in Yemen especially in Aden. During british rule in yemen a huge number of the City permanent population was Somali.

we are neighbors, so ofcourse there will be influence going both ways ,
But the Yemeni macawis ,( it's called macwaz , it's Arabic word ) is different from the one Somalis wear which comes from south asia . theirs is locally made , they are famous for it since the days of Ximyar .

19429127_274016779739277_221506371286204416_n.jpg

Somalis wear these South Asian ones
fec8667c4bc16cd9a24ba27911e46c1c.jpg

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Macawiis is a south asian thing as well as most the foods we're both claiming. This whole debate is silly.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP

There is a whole thread about this you can read
This thread is a troll