Crisis in the Ethiopian Church: Oromos might break off

The Oromo Orthodox clergy just named their own bishops without consulting with the amhara led main church. The main Ethiopian church (led by amhara) spoke and said they’re not recognized bishops. This means millions of oromo orthodox Christians will be walking away from the ETOC. The tigrayans both in Eritrea and Ethiopia have already left them long ago.

what does this mean for politics in Ethiopia? The Ethiopian church has been instrumental in shaping the politics of Ethiopia. The church was powerful and used by the Amhara expansionist. Since Eritrean and Tigrayans orthodox broke away they have been holding on to the Oromo orthodox and they seem to be leaving too. Abiy Ahmed who’s an evangelism will greatly benefit from this schism in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. This means the amhara won’t be having anymore religious control over the oromo orthodox.
The Ethiopian Orthodox Church assets (farmlands, prime real estate) are located mainly in oromo lands about 87% of it. Having the church leadership was very important for Amhara leadership for centuries.

The new leader of the oromo Orthodox Church abune sawiros.

Attachments

• 3439F1EB-56D8-4204-AA08-601ADD2AA499.jpeg
    3439F1EB-56D8-4204-AA08-601ADD2AA499.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 63
What power does the church have in modern times? This isn’t the medieval ages.
View attachment 251241
It has power amongst the orthodox oromo and amhara. The church still owns massive lands from Haile sellasie and menelik era even though tplf has taken some from them.
breaking the Oromo free from this church will make it hard for amhara to have any influence on oromo Christian orthodox.

Even though the ETOC is historically amhara dominated, the current head and patriarch of is Abune Mathias, a Tigrayan. Despite the war that ravaged his people, and the "unrecognized" split of Tigrayan TOC, he decided to remain in the ETOC. And it's him that this Abune Sawiros tried to overthrow, so I wouldn't say that it's entirely Amhara led. It seems like he called for the government to intervene and adress these issues now. So it will be interesting to see.

Also whenever a new church diocese is being established it has to be admitted mainly by the patriarch in Alexandria Egypt and/or Constantinopel, which hasn't happened. So they are currently unrecognized, and therefore will have limited power and influence- despite having a sizeable followers - in term of the Ethiopian establishment. And the general rule is that each nation is only meant to have one church diocese. So the Oromia one will most likely face the same treatment as the Tigrayan.

The Orthodox church has been having quite a few issues for the past years. Including the establishment of a new diocese in Ukraine, separate from the Russian based one. It was granted by the Patriarchate of Costantinopel. But Russia (that controlled it), and some others like Serbia and Romania has not met them with the same open arms, and don't have any relations today. So there seem to be many thing they have to deal with, if they want to survive as a united Eastern Orthodox Church.

Even though the ETOC is historically amhara dominated, the current head and patriarch of is Abune Mathias, a Tigrayan. Despite the war that ravaged his people, and the "unrecognized" split of Tigrayan TOC, he decided to remain in the ETOC. And it's him that this Abune Sawiros tried to overthrow, so I wouldn't say that it's entirely Amhara led. It seems like he called for the government to intervene and adress these issues now. So it will be interesting to see.

Also whenever a new church diocese is being established it has to be admitted mainly by the patriarch in Alexandria Egypt and/or Constantinopel, which hasn't happened. So they are currently unrecognized, and therefore will have limited power and influence- despite having a sizeable followers - in term of the Ethiopian establishment. And the general rule is that each nation is only meant to have one church diocese. So the Oromia one will most likely face the same treatment as the Tigrayan.

The Orthodox church has been having quite a few issues for the past years. Including the establishment of a new diocese in Ukraine, separate from the Russian based one. It was granted by the Patriarchate of Costantinopel. But Russia (that controlled it), and some others like Serbia and Romania has not met them with the same open arms, and don't have any relations today. So there seem to be many thing they have to deal with, if they want to survive as a united Eastern Orthodox Church.

The church moves with the wave of politics. Let’s wait and see if the Oromo will fold.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP

Damn, I still dont understand the churches problems. Like what stopping them from Forming a new church?

Damn, I still dont understand the churches problems. Like what stopping them from Forming a new church?

Technically you can do so, but you need recognition from the head of the "central" church, responsible for all church diocese (divisions). If it's a local church, you just need the approval of the head of the church for the assigned region, usually every country has one. But if it's a completely new and splitting from a current one, you need the permission of the patriarch of all Orthodox Church in Costantinopel or/and Alexandria, basically the equivalent of Pope and Vatican for Catholics. It's complicated, but there are a process to follow to fully be embraced as a legitimate church representing and part of the wider Orthodox Church.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Technically you can do so, but you need recognition from the head of the "central" church, responsible for all church diocese (divisions). If it's a local church, you just need the approval of the head of the church for the assigned region, usually every country has one. But if it's a completely new and splitting from a current one, you need the permission of the patriarch of all Orthodox Church in Costantinopel or/and Alexandria, basically the equivalent of Pope and Vatican for Catholics. It's complicated, but there are a process to follow to fully be embraced as a legitimate church representing and part of the wider Orthodox Church.
Why don't just make it Catholics or Protestants. Or a new Orthodox

A new sect or whatever.
I can't undertand why e.g. Egypt has many churched but whole countries has one?
View attachment 251256
I am not entirely sure on how to answer it, but it's based on the historical "development" of the church, where it was created and chosen as the seat for the head of the church, about 1000 years ago, when christianity was split into catholic and orthodox. Antiochian (Costantinopel) and Alexandrian, were the two most influential "school of thoughts" at the time, hence the location of where the headquarters are, and what the Orthodox church is today, based on.

As far as creating a new sect/schism, that's a weird way to look at it *for them*, because they believe that their version is the "correct" path of the church's teachings, and why they they believe that are the one who should lead the church, as opposed them creating a new one.

But if the division continues, so much so that the dioceses can't reconcile, they will have no choice but to split. However, since its inception 1000 years ago, it haven't occurred, so the likelihood of that happening now is slim.

Also I'm not an expert, but from what I've read and the orthodox people I know, this is how far my knowledge extends. But I'm sure there are more explanations for your questions.

I am not entirely sure on how to answer it, but it's based on the historical "development" of the church, where it was created and chosen as the seat for the head of the church, about 1000 years ago, when christianity was split into catholic and orthodox. Antiochian (Costantinopel) and Alexandrian, were the two most influential "school of thoughts" at the time, hence the location of where the headquarters are, and what the Orthodox church is today, based on.

As far as creating a new sect/schism, that's a weird way to look at it *for them*, because they believe that their version is the "correct" path of the church's teachings, and why they they believe that are the one who should lead the church, as opposed them creating a new one.

But if the division continues, so much so that the dioceses can't reconcile, they will have no choice but to split. However, since its inception 1000 years ago, it haven't occurred, so the likelihood of that happening now is slim.

Also I'm not an expert, but from what I've read and the orthodox people I know, this is how far my knowledge extends. But I'm sure there are more explanations for your questions.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Qoti orthodox awareness of Oromumma is good for Oromia bad of ethiopiawinet

According to this sajed reporter the oromia state police just arrested in jimma some of the revolting bishops who were going to open a new church led by the new oromo bishop. Maybe the Amhara led main church will come on top. Orthodox oromos in general are deep in the pockets of the amhara church elites.

Trending

Latest posts