Control the narrative!

I've noticed something disturbing and deliberate regarding western media. That when they are reporting about third world countries, they always show either old pictures or videos to get their point made, or they place themselves in runned down areas to report from.

We all know that Somalia and specially Mogadishu has made great step in security and infrastructure, and will inshaAllah curb the suicide bombers.
But when the western media reports on Mogadishu, they always show the same pictures from 10+ years. The pictures of the terrorists they claim control many cities are also 10 yrs old. They show old VHS videos of dead warlords to claim how dangerous and bombed the city is now.

If you see them doing this, then leave a "Fake news" comment.

And when you are in vacation back home, take pictures and upload them, so that when people search for pictures of Mogadishu or Somalia, they are not meet with bombed cities and ruins.

Im not being naive, i know we have problems which we will resolve without people lying about every progress we make.

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
The West say Somalia is underdeveloped and unstable. They also say it’s a country riddled with corruption and has a long standing terrorist problem. They say it’s a fragile state some say it’s a “failed state”.

Which are unfortunately valid points there’s some exaggerations, but let’s be brutally honest here we all know it’s true. In order to “change the narrative” something has to drastically change in Somalia until then that’s all we’ll be viewed as

The West say Somalia is underdeveloped and unstable. They also say it’s a country riddled with corruption and has a long standing terrorist problem. They say it’s a fragile state some say it’s a “failed state”.

Which are unfortunately valid points there’s some exaggerations, but let’s be brutally honest here we all know it’s true. In order to “change the narrative” something has to drastically change in Somalia until then that’s all we’ll be viewed as
I understand your point and i agree, we do have problems we need to handle. But my point is that, for a such a irrelevant country with a small population we do get alot of media attention. Alot of countries have far greater corruption without all these media attention, so that cant be the reason. Ethiopia is in a war killing its citizen and they dont even get half of the attention we get. Nigeria were killing its citizen during Sara, and they didnt get that much attention. All of these tell me that media is a business, you pay them to paint a picture(narrative) of a country.

Alot of countries are involved in competition over resources in Somalia. And what do you think would happen of Somalia got in its feets and didnt have a need for countries "comming to aid us", they would loose money.

So to keep Somalia they way it is, and scare of the diaspora you need to paint a picture that it is a country no one can live in, as if we dont have relatives chilling and calling from back home for money😅

And they wont lift the arms embargo, so they are the only ones that can "save" us.

Trending