Conservatism the bane of somalis

I think somalis are arguably the most religious people in the world in spirit if not in practise hence their deep moral
conservatism. In a world that is increasingly socialy liberal how much of a contradiction is it for somalis trying to find their
place in this modern world. And how much can they withstand the pull and push. How about compromise until they find their
sure footing.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Some of us cope by identifying as quasi-liberal.

@Hared
20201004_155759.jpg

There is nothing conservative nor religious about the average Somalian lol
We actually suffer from some form of neurotic conservatism that can have some form of a paralysing effect on our actions when faced with contradictions of modern society resulting in our anger at ourselves and environments

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
Oooh my first post ever. Hello Somali spot community.

To your Q, I think Somalis are culturally conservative not actually morally conservative. They are heavily invested in appearing pious rather than actually being pious.

To your Q, I think Somalis are culturally conservative not actually morally conservative. They are heavily invested in appearing pious rather than actually being pious.
The point is that a lot of what you call our culture is actually influenced by our relations with our deen hence the contradiction in appearance and practise. Culture is usually a watchdog over our morals

Welcome to Sspot, quick warning this site is filled with inc*els and self haters. You seem to be like a good person so I would recommend you stay away from those retards.
I’m Blackjack by the way, Sspots baddest b*tch
giphy.gif

One part, you don't want to be a blind follower. It is only normal and human to question and explore what was handed down to you from your parents.

Then the other part, our pride refuses us to fully assimilate into western culture as that feels like self-hate and lack of pride in ones roots.

However, our basic instinct to survive will push us to adapt to this world to some extent. Most of us form a new identity that lies in between. We, unfortunately, also have to engage in the occassional cognitive dissonance.

But how else do we reconcile these two contradictory cultures? :zhqjlmx:
Well put dear but most of our resistance stems from fear rather than pride. Our truth
lies in complete contradiction to our current exposers and our desires of creating two truths in one truth is the cause of cognitive dissonance you speak about. Can really have our cake and eat it or are we really going to need to take sides or great crushed by the contradictions

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Well put dear but most of our resistance stems from fear rather than pride. Our truth
lies in complete contradiction to our current exposers and our desires of creating two truths in one truth is the cause of cognitive dissonance you speak about. Can really have our cake and eat it or are we really going to need to take sides or great crushed by the contradictions

Sorry I deleted my previous post :icon lol:

Of course fear might be involved.
It is evident from the societal repercussions that exist for those who openly hold on to views that oppose mainstream culture here. However, adopting a new identity doesn't necessarily have to crush us. At the end of the day, this "contradictory" acts are a means to an end and some of us learn to compartmentalize and switch according to our settings.

For example, lowering your gaze when interacting with opposite gender is seen as a form of modesty in Islam but in the workplace, customers will find it very rude if you did that.

Is there part of me that is aware I might lose my job if I didn't maintain eye contact with customers? Definately!

But my reason of upholding this practice is mostly fueled by my easy going nature where I don't want to offend others rather than the losing of my job.

Thats how I make peace with my dissonance lol.

I don’t like the dichotomy of liberal equaling to progress. Richest places in America are conservative, many of the conservative ideals are what made the West rich in the first place:

Rooble44

Bishop of the order of Gacanta Furan ✋
Somalis like to think and believe they're conservative but deep down behind closed doors they're as liberal as you can get.

Somalis really are conservatives its just that the forces arrayed against consevatism at present
are quite great its an ideology that is practically under siege. Knowing that it is the right ideology
because it stems from our deen my advice on the way forward is not to abandon it but loosen it up
a bit not on the ideological aspect but the moral one. We somalis should relax a bit on things like
social mixing and gender pleasures but keep it strctly inhouse only amongst ourselves until a time
we can gain a proper foothold from which we can defend our much treasured ideology islam

We have murders, qabyaalad and corruption is widespread. We dont practice islam.
Precisely why i am saying we should be practical about our current pathetic condition in terms of islam and adjust our actions accordingly, we cant be expecting of each other the high values of islam mainly consevative and humanne whilst all our current aspirations and inclinations are of the contrary. We are currently operating at a high level of human beastiality and you cant expect
conservative beasts.So let a bit loose until we evolve better

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
I’m so confused by what you’re suggesting. Are you saying: we are not very pious people therefore we should ‘loosen’ our moral aspirations so we can commit acts against Islam without being in a moral quandary or ‘cognitive dissonance’.

I’m so confused by what you’re suggesting. Are you saying: we are not very pious people therefore we should ‘loosen’ our moral aspirations so we can commit acts against Islam without being in a moral quandary or ‘cognitive dissonance’.
Precisely, you see sometimes to win the war you have to sacrifuce some battles, actually when we loosen this moral aspirations it wont be in a cognituve dissonance manner because we willl be aware of our actions and they will be acted upon willingly so their would be no quandry about them
but we will know it us a temporary situation until we get the right environment to support our beliefs and appropriate actions . We have to be pragmatic about our current situation, the trick is not to try and justify our wrong actions by trying to conform islam to our failures and end up bastardising the religion to to quasi liberal version but to accept our current limitations and aspire to change the environment to support our individual efforts and the area of focus should be economics as it is the factor that has played the greatest role in the loosening of our morals and disheartening of our efforts.

Trending

Latest posts