Concept of Slavery in Islam

Theres no such thing as chattel slavery in Islam.
It is an action of the upmost wretchedness to set out to catch human beings for the purpose of putting them to labor against their will. Thats called theft. It doesnt matter if the theft is done by john oconnor or yahya al kuni.

Slavery in islam is a social caste resulting from religious conflict and even then the Deen says to depopulate this social caste.

I love allah and i love the Quran but sometimes i wish there was an ayah that forbid slavery

In the Qur'an you have an ayat commanding the liberation of slaves through a 'manumission contract'. You have to give it to any slave who asks for it.

The state zakat assists slaves who want to go free, and the contract essentially asks for slaves to give a payment for their liberation (I think in instalments or at once), in turn they are given some money to start a new life by their ex-masters.

Their ex-masters must give this money to them in accordance to the Qur'an.

In Islam, slaves could work and earn and income, thus could pay their own manumission. Those who were poor would get the state zakat to free themselves.

This is all set out in Surah Noor verse 33:

Allah Says (what means): {… And those who seek a contract [for eventual emancipation] from among whom your right hands possess - then make a contract with them if you know there is within them goodness and give them from the wealth of Allah which He has given you…}

[Quran 24:33]

Also, voluntarily liberating slaves is emphatically promoted in both the sunnah and Qur'an - sometimes this is necessitated too, as an expiation of evil deeds or unlawful actions.

Also, there was rampant slavery in Arabia before Islam, and our religion limited slavery to prisoners of war or previously enslaved people...

That itself is restricted slavery. Also Islam banned kidnapping people, enslaving free people. Islam also had laws that if you hit your slave, you have to free them as an expiation for hitting them.

Imam Shafi also made it clear that sex slavery is forbidden, he said you can't force slave girls to have sexual relations with their masters or anyone:

In this way, Islam abolished slavery...Islam didn't promote the fake abolition that the West had where they 'abolished' slavery and made ex-slaves lower class citizens with few rights and a legalized subjugated position in society.

And in all these ways, Islam was against slavery. Islam came to reform the ills of society. This was the best way that Allah chose...in this way, slaves could be liberated and have money to start new lives.

Last edited: