Coders come in

Jaha

Cherry red Ferrari for free!
First of all, I would advise against going into any boot camps, they're overpriced and not worth it; you can learn everything they're going to be teaching you completely on your own; You're getting into this field which in itself is a life long journey of never ending learning, and going by this, you can do it on your own without the help from a bootcamp and save yourself from wasting an upwards of a US $15k+ just to hear someone read aloud what you can read on your own. The Self taught path is an option, I did it and many others have and so can you!

how long will it take me to learn, enough to be able to build my own website both front and back end from scratch?
How much time can you dedicate to this? do you have good discipline and can you stick to any schedule you set for yourself? This is a question that only you can answer as there is no definitive timeline in which you're supposed to do it all within, and It's not like you learn once and you're good for life like other fields, learning in this field is endless as what you're doing today can and will eventually be obsolete someday, you have to keep learning to stay sharp.

After some research, I found it I need to learn HTML css, JavaScript, a JavaScript framework like react or angular and some backend language like ruby, python or eve node.js

As for what to learn, just focus on the front-end basics first, being HTML, CSS & JS until you're comfortable with these, hold off doing the front-end frameworks as they require you to know already know a good amount of JavaScript and some object-oriented programming.

Angular has a way higher learning curve compared to React and it uses Typescript which is a strongly typed superset of JS; this again will add up to the initial learning curve. It would be wise to pick React or even Vuejs and save yourself time, money, and headache. I would lean more towards React as it's closer to Vanilla JS than any of the others and it teaches you good practices. Whichever framework you eventually choose will take you some time to get a hold of it while learning new concepts such as componentization, breaking down the UI into bits, application state management, and good user experience.

Now for the back-end up until this point you've been using JavaScript on the front-end and now you have the option to use JS again on the backend with the Node js server-side runtime; Just think about it Node is fast and can scale well, and besides that, you already know the JS needed and the small differences in the Node ecosystem and the browser won't take you much time to understand.

You can build full-stack projects just using JS, however, Python is also another option if you prefer it purely based on syntax or your future endeavors involve AI&machine learning which in that case, Python has far better support and community along with libraries for this, keep in mind that programming concepts are pretty much the same across languages, it will take you less time to get proficient with a new language if you know at least one compared to if you don't have any programming experience.

Also, be careful as learning for the sake of building a product/service can be the wrong motive. You'll get frustrated, things will be hard to understand at times and most simply give up. Please don't and stick with it, nothing comes without a struggle.

I am 24 and I already finished school but I don’t like my job.
Am I too old to learn to code? I am into web stuff more than the apps because I have so many business ideas that if I knew how to code, I would launch and see where it takes me.

how long will it take me to learn, enough to be able to build my own website both front and back end from scratch?

I am taking a trip to Africa soon for a year, I wanted to dedicate that year to learn everything.
After some research, I found it I need to learn HTML css, JavaScript, a JavaScript framework like react or angular and some backend language like ruby, python or eve node.js
I have a package of fish you need to go down to Jamaican to pick up and to deliver it to Toronto. Make sure my cousin gets it. It’s very rare and delicious fish. Don’t open it or eat it.

I’ll pay you $10,000 for every trip you make.

If you get stopped by customs, you never heard of @Bossanova

Last edited:
First of all, I would advise against going into any boot camps, they're overpriced and not worth it; you can learn everything they're going to be teaching you completely on your own; You're getting into this field which in itself is a life long journey of never ending learning, and going by this, you can do it on your own without the help from a bootcamp and save yourself from wasting an upwards of a US $15k+ just to hear someone read aloud what you can read on your own. The Self taught path is an option, I did it and many others have and so can you!

How much time can you dedicate to this? do you have good discipline and can you stick to any schedule you set for yourself? This is a question that only you can answer as there is no definitive timeline in which you're supposed to do it all within, and It's not like you learn once and you're good for life like other fields, learning in this field is endless as what you're doing today can and will eventually be obsolete someday, you have to keep learning to stay sharp.

As for what to learn, just focus on the front-end basics first, being HTML, CSS & JS until you're comfortable with these, hold off doing the front-end frameworks as they require you to know already know a good amount of JavaScript and some object-oriented programming.

Angular has a way higher learning curve compared to React and it uses Typescript which is a strongly typed superset of JS; this again will add up to the initial learning curve. It would be wise to pick React or even Vuejs and save yourself time, money, and headache. I would lean more towards React as it's closer to Vanilla JS than any of the others and it teaches you good practices. Whichever framework you eventually choose will take you some time to get a hold of it while learning new concepts such as componentization, breaking down the UI into bits, application state management, and good user experience.

Now for the back-end up until this point you've been using JavaScript on the front-end and now you have the option to use JS again on the backend with the Node js server-side runtime; Just think about it Node is fast and can scale well, and besides that, you already know the JS needed and the small differences in the Node ecosystem and the browser won't take you much time to understand.

You can build full-stack projects just using JS, however, Python is also another option if you prefer it purely based on syntax or your future endeavors involve AI&machine learning which in that case, Python has far better support and community along with libraries for this, keep in mind that programming concepts are pretty much the same across languages, it will take you less time to get proficient with a new language if you know at least one compared to if you don't have any programming experience.

Also, be careful as learning for the sake of building a product/service can be the wrong motive. You'll get frustrated, things will be hard to understand at times and most simply give up. Please don't and stick with it, nothing comes without a struggle.
Thank you for the comprehensive input! Why is learning it for self employment purposes be wrong? I don’t want to do it to get a job somewhere. I want to learn to do my own projects.

I have a package of fish you need to go down to Jamaican to pick up and to deliver it to Toronto. Make sure my cousin gets it. It’s very rare and delicious fish. Don’t open it or eat it.

You must be from Canada? Thanks for your offer but try resident Canadians who are into that kind of lifestyle.

You must be from Canada? Thanks for your offer but try resident Canadians who are into that kind of lifestyle.
Upti, I’m Reer AA now in NYC. This fish is halal and has the best xaawash on it. Would you deny my cousin and all his homies in O-Block this delicious and profitable fish?

Jaha

Thank you for the comprehensive input! Why is learning it for self employment purposes be wrong? I don’t want to do it to get a job somewhere. I want to learn to do my own projects.
I understand that and it's a completely fine if the end goal is to build a business somehow but my point was, if you don't enjoy what you're going to be doing it can become tough and mentally taxing. It's quite a road until you get to proficient level but if you're up for it and think it'll be fun then you shouldn't have any problems.

This sounds fishy, something like you'd watch on NatGeo's locked up abroad lol, OP be careful

I understand that and it's a completely fine if the end goal is to build a business somehow but my point was, if you don't enjoy what you're going to be doing it can become tough and mentally taxing. It's quite a road until you get to proficient level but if you're up for it and think it'll be fun then you shouldn't have any problems.

This sounds fishy, something like you'd watch on NatGeo's locked up abroad lol, OP be careful
I am very passionate about starting my own businesses and i know if the way to get there is be a coder, then I will at least be fine with coding. I won’t hate it for sure.

I was thinking 3 hours a day for a year. Would that do it?

Jaha

The number of hours you put in doesn't mean much, what is more, important is consistency over time; say you learn a new concept today, you most likely won't remember everything tomorrow and sometimes completely forgetting it, so it's best to keep going at it more consistently to solidify your knowledge. It takes practice, practice, and a lot of practice.

Also, be aware of burnouts, it's very common here,
don't spend too many hours in a single day, take breaks and live your normal life; If you get burnt out, it can last you days sometimes where you feel completely exhausted and not wanting to lift a finger, however, when it happens, make sure you take a long gap say like a week or so on something else and come back with a fresh mind when you've well-rested.

If you get stuck at a problem for more than 15 minutes straight, go ask on places like StackOverflow if you cant already find answers; One thing to note is that other programmers can be very toxic, just Ignore the self-righteous bastards and never take things personally and all should be good.

To conclude, is 3 hours enough? most likely but it depends on how productive you are within that time and if you can keep doing it consistently. Take shorter sprints, Pomodoro is a good technique, If you live with family or others and let them know not to bother you when learning as distraction is a pain in the A, and most importantly, it's a journey so take things slow and you'll start having fun while doing this!

The number of hours you put in doesn't mean much, what is more, important is consistency over time; say you learn a new concept today, you most likely won't remember everything tomorrow and sometimes completely forgetting it, so it's best to keep going at it more consistently to solidify your knowledge. It takes practice, practice, and a lot of practice.

Also, be aware of burnouts, it's very common here,
don't spend too many hours in a single day, take breaks and live your normal life; If you get burnt out, it can last you days sometimes where you feel completely exhausted and not wanting to lift a finger, however, when it happens, make sure you take a long gap say like a week or so on something else and come back with a fresh mind when you've well-rested.

If you get stuck at a problem for more than 15 minutes straight, go ask on places like StackOverflow if you cant already find answers; One thing to note is that other programmers can be very toxic, just Ignore the self-righteous bastards and never take things personally and all should be good.

To conclude, is 3 hours enough? most likely but it depends on how productive you are within that time and if you can keep doing it consistently. Take shorter sprints, Pomodoro is a good technique, If you live with family or others and let them know not to bother you when learning as distraction is a pain in the A, and most importantly, it's a journey so take things slow and you'll start having fun while doing this!
Thank you for your well thought of response! I appreciate it.

i can be consistent. I was planning to knock HTMl5 and css3 out of the way in 3 or max 4 months. Then spend 6 months to 8 months on javascript. Then another 6 months on react and nodejs. My timeline would be a year and half.

I have done extensive research already and found out that JavaScript will need time to really get it, especially if you want to learn its frameworks and backend

Jaha

A lot can be achieved within a year if you set your mind to it and I can tell that you are driven to accomplish your end goal!

PS I can shoot you a pm with some good resources if you'd like.

You’re wrong for this acuthubillah.... :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

That documentary was wild. It was the peak of Somali boys getting shot in Canada. Sad that it’s still happening. Wonder how that families doing now.
I knew One of the familes. They were def fucking crazy.
Not sure what they’re up to, I try to avoid contact with people in that life.
InshaAllah they fixed up and moved on.

Trending

Latest posts